Hank Jones turns 91 (!!!) today...

Cyril

Happy Birthday Hank! I'm wishing you good health! You are my favourite piano player, ever!

Also happy birthday to Kenny Burrell, I like his playing, and enjoy every second.

BTW, sure Hank is no old school!

As well as Jelly Roll is no old school!

They will remain new after all of us!

There is no boundaries to this art!

Edited by mmilovan

Easily in my top ten favorite jazz pianists ever. For a few decades there, he the pianist on virtually every album recorded in New York that Dick Hyman wasn't on. Between the two of them, it must have been very hard getting work in NY as a session pianist!

He did a solo piano album in the late 70s or 80s that I really love called "Tiptoe Tap Dance." Hideous cover art (as was common by that time) but superb music.

Happy belated birthday to this master.

One thought on Mr. Jones. I caught a set at Dizzy's in NYC in the fall of 2008. He was standing talking to the crowd. When he sat down at the piano he placed the MIC on the top of the piano. It started to roll off, but before the MIC hit the floor Hank grabbed it with his hand, like a falcon or a hawk grabbing its prey. I don't even have reflexes that fast and I exactly have his age. God bless him. He could probably pick it at second or shortstop.

Edited by Hardbopjazz