The Complete H.R.S. Sessions.

I don't remember reading to much about this set on here or even seeing it mentioned and try searching for H.R.S. or HRS and see what you get. :D :D :D

I like a bit of "early" Jazz and I'm guessing his one might be a good way to get a nice selection of sessions, oddly enough though, they don't have any sound samples for this one on the Mosaic site.

Any thoughts/opinions on this one???

The Complete H.R.S. Sessions (#187)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a VERY NICE set. Great sound (some of the sessions have appeared on OJC cds). A nice cross-section of earlier styles with a great cast of players. I'd be surprised if you weren't very pleased.

I keep expecting this to show up in a Running Low status . . . but it's holding steady.

It's a really good set. Solid Mainstream swing. In the days of vinyl some of these were issued by Riverside in two volumes called Giants of Small Band Swing. That name sums it up. This is also an instance of this issue being the best sounding issue - way better than the lps that appeared on various labels in 50s and 60s.

I like it, but didn't find it revelatory. As part of your buying decision, keep in mind what you're getting: 18 tracks of Brick Fleagle, 11 tracks of Sandy Williams, and 8 tracks of Jimmy Jones. On the other hand, you get sessions from 2 different Billy Taylors: the pianist and the bassist.

With the exception of the Mobley 50s box (I assume everybody has that one, right?!), I'm pretty sure this is the oldest limited edition set still available from Mosaic (the Parker Benedetti isn't limited). Must have been a long lease! It's a fine set, even though some of the artists are, as one poster intimated, a bit obscure! But I like 'em.

greg mo

great thread... I've always been wondering about this set... It's odd since the Mosaic website doesn't have any soundclips...

After reading this and listening to the samples... I might have to add this to my wish list... :o :o :o

Yes, it is passing strange that AMG would have audio samples but Mosaic doesn't. Same goes for the Benedetti set.

At least we have a backup plan. Those samples are enticing. :tup

------------------

Edit: I just accidentally discovered a way to load an AMG sample into iTunes. That Teagarden St. James Infirmary sample wasn't working for me, so I tried to grab its address and load it separately.

Tricks of the trade? (perhaps there are more automated ways of doing this):

1. Click on the name of the song. It will take you to a page showing all albums that contain that song.

2. Look in the browser's URL field and where it says "sql=33:", change the "33" to "50", then add a "~T" (that's a tilda, not a dash) to the very end. Hit return.

3. Voila, the music sample will download and load up as another record in iTunes with a podcast icon that can be played over and over.

Edited by mellowT

A wonderful set. As has been mentioned, this collection presents the music in such beautifully clear sound. I probably regard this one and the Ellington 1936-1940 Small Group Sessions as my most-prized Mosaics. The Bechet-Spanier tracks here are indeed gems.

A wonderful set. As has been mentioned, this collection presents the music in such beautifully clear sound. I probably regard this one and the Ellington 1936-1940 Small Group Sessions as my most-prized Mosaics. The Bechet-Spanier tracks here are indeed gems.

Very interesting. I'll have to check out this one. I've always overlooked it. Thanks, everyone.

Oddly enough I was also considering the Ellington. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Go for 'em both! :) Or at least plan on getting both. They're ones that get played rather than just looking sharp on the shelves.

Oddly enough I was also considering the Ellington. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Go for 'em both! :) Or at least plan on getting both. They're ones that get played rather than just looking sharp on the shelves.

I agree. They're both keepers.

Yea, I've been enjoying some of the "old school" Jazz recently and these both look good, not too keen on vocals though.

Jack Teagarden on H.R.S. might change your mind. I too was once allergic to jazz vocals. Now I have jazz singers in my stacks! Gasp!