The Complete H.R.S. Sessions.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I will - simply can't afford them both.

Yes you can - people on this board can afford *everything* - it's a condition of entry! Oh some may pretend they can't, but when the last chance arrives they can, my friend, o they can...

I know for a fact that one board member happily sold his body to get the $2 he needed to buy up some Earl Klugh LPs in a garage sale. And with the change he bought a broken hairdryer. He's gonna fix that up as soon as he can figure out how. And then, use the time he saves on towel drying to check out those Earl Klugh LPs. Call it Karma.

Yes I will - simply can't afford them both.

Yes you can - people on this board can afford *everything* - it's a condition of entry! Oh some may pretend they can't, but when the last chance arrives they can, my friend, o they can...

I know for a fact that one board member happily sold his body to get the $2 he needed to buy up some Earl Klugh LPs in a garage sale. And with the change he bought a broken hairdryer. He's gonna fix that up as soon as he can figure out how. And then, use the time he saves on towel drying to check out those Earl Klugh LPs. Call it Karma.

:g

MG

I pulled the trigger on this one today, after swearing that I wasn't going to get it. I already have the sessions (Bechet, Pee Wee, Teagarden) that I was most interested in, but looking through the discography broke down my resolve - I just had to hear the other stuff, too.

Oh, well - it's only money....

I pulled the trigger on this one today, after swearing that I wasn't going to get it. I already have the sessions (Bechet, Pee Wee, Teagarden) that I was most interested in, but looking through the discography broke down my resolve - I just had to hear the other stuff, too.

Don't know what versions you have Jeff, but the sound alone on the Mosaic makes it worth getting. I played one CD for a friend who had OJC versions of some of the material, and after a few tracks he was won over and said he was going to order the Mosaic.

Don't know what versions you have Jeff, but the sound alone on the Mosaic makes it worth getting. I played one CD for a friend who had OJC versions of some of the material, and after a few tracks he was won over and said he was going to order the Mosaic.

The sound on the Mosaic blows the OJCs out of the water.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback everyone but a major "D'OH" on my part was not checking AMG first, they happen to have sound clips of the whole set so I will go through them just to get a flavour of it.

Seems it would be fair to describe this set as a "Mini-Me" to the 3 OOP Complete Commodore Jazz Recordings sets???

1) AMG took these down almost as soon as this went to "Running Low". What the heck's up with that?! Maybe too many people sampling it in response to it going OOP? I know I played them all through once or twice and then bought the set a couple weeks ago as a result.

2) More like a "Nano-Me" being as those were some 70 LPS. :)

edit:

Looks like it's gone; mid-morning today. Close call for me as I ordered it only two weeks ago. I'm glad I did as there's some joyful and intelligent music here and it sounds modern (or maybe I'm just too old). I'm surprised to see so many Ellington Alumni.

edit-edit:

Those sound clips? They're back up now that it's too late to matter. That's just not right.

Edited by DemonDuckOfDoom

Glad I grabbed this one a couple of weeks ago, too - thanks for the many recommendations. There's some fabulous music here, and to be honest, a few disappointments. But the best stuff is pretty amazing, and the sound is great, considering the source material.

I can't remember any disappointments (at least nothing worse than maybe mild disappointments...), but it's been a while that I played it. Which sessions do you mean? The Brick Fleagle rehearsal band disc?