montg

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Are there any that stand out to you? I don't know the material at all.

Thank you.

I like them all pretty much too and have tended to grab them unheard-untried whenever I came across one (with the inevitable result of ending up e.g. with a duplicate of the Vic Dickenson twofer - two UK reissues from two different periods with two totally diferent covers so I did nto realize I already had it - and it took me a long time to shift my duplicate at last) but I differ somewhat in my preferences from those that Jazzbo named.

My personal favorites that I tend to pull out most often are Buck Clayton, Sir Charles Thompson, Jimmy Rushing, and Urbie Green.
But you cannot go wrong with the "others" either. ;) And tastes differ anyway.

I have been a fan of the terrific Vanguard mainstream series for a long time. Have more recently been listening quite a lot to the many very good Black & Blue recordings by a long list of mainstream musicians. Some examples of the latter are Arnett Cobb, Illinois Jacquet, Jay McShann, Milt Buckner, Guy Lafitte, Sir Charles Thompson, Ellis Larkins, Charlie Shavers,Johnny Lettman, Buddy Tate and many others.

2 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

I have been a fan of the terrific Vanguard mainstream series for a long time. Have more recently been listening quite a lot to the many very good Black & Blue recordings by a long list of mainstream musicians. Some examples of the latter are Arnett Cobb, Illinois Jacquet, Jay McShann, Milt Buckner, Guy Lafitte, Sir Charles Thompson, Ellis Larkins, Charlie Shavers,Johnny Lettman, Buddy Tate and many others.

Spending some time with these albums sounds like a great idea :tupThe Jacquet albums here were really enjoyable. 

• 2 weeks later...