Green Onions

Jim Alfredson

This was a show that we did on WKAR out of Michigan State University called BackStage Pass. They did a great job on the production. We're selling DVDs of the show but unfortunately we couldn't get the rights to Green Onions (the publisher demands a minimum of 5,000 units) so this cut is only on the live broadcast of the show on public television.

organissimo did the same show; look for that in the fall on public TV. The current plan is to release a DVD/CD of the entire organissimo show... we played our butts off and it's all original material so no licensing issues.

It means we would have to print up a minimum of 5,000 DVDs in order for them to grant us a license. We'd then have to pay a certain amount in licensing for each of those DVDs. IWe haven't sold 5,000 copies of ANYTHING we've put out yet, so obviously that's not a wise thing to do. If they'd let us license say 1,000 DVDs, it might be worthwhile.

BTW, I had to take the video off YouTube for a bit, but it's still on my facebook page.

The local station that filmed it is worried about copyright infringement, even though I told them that I compressed the video from the broadcast of the show and put it up myself. I don't see how a station could be liable for one of their viewers "taping" a show and putting it up on YouTube, copyright or not. The liability would lie with me, right?

Besides, YouTube just takes it down if they get a complaint.

But the fellow that we're working with there didn't want to take any chances and asked that I take it down for a bit while he consults with the appropriate people. I have no interest in jeopardizing someone's position, so...

Seems to me that the Root Doctor version just HAS to be up on YouTube, if for no other reason than simply to counteract THIS:

Not sure i see any real problem w/that one...Harry James is ok by me fqr more often than not...Buddy Rich & Red Kelley (aka Uncle Fester) laying down a nice groove, a very Basie-ish chart (if you didn't already know it was "Green Onions", would you guess, or would you think it was jsut some Basie thing?), electric piano (in a Harry James band! in 1965!)...not crazy about that clarinet solo, but that's when I turn towards the rhythm section...the only thing I would even think about "counteracting" is those glasses/haircuts combos, but hell, it was 1965 and this was a big band...

Seems to me that the Root Doctor version just HAS to be up on YouTube, if for no other reason than simply to counteract THIS:

Not sure i see any real problem w/that one...Harry James is ok by me fqr more often than not...Buddy Rich & Red Kelley (aka Uncle Fester) laying down a nice groove, a very Basie-ish chart (if you didn't already know it was "Green Onions", would you guess, or would you think it was jsut some Basie thing?), electric piano (in a Harry James band! in 1965!)...not crazy about that clarinet solo, but that's when I turn towards the rhythm section...the only thing I would even think about "counteracting" is those glasses/haircuts combos, but hell, it was 1965 and this was a big band...

Sorry, but for me, this particular cover creates a bit of cognitive dissonance. :wacko: I think Buddy did a better job of covering this kind of stuff with his own big band a few years later. But that's just me. :rolleyes: