An Apology and a Thank You...

In the past 24 hours, since joining the "O" board, I have been basically called "sad," I have had my integrity questioned, and dismissed. Everyone of you has the right to do or say what you want about me. That's the beauty of these forums. You get to express yourself in an open and free wheeling way. As a performer, writer and activist, I have prided myself on being able to take criticism and rejection flat out. I guess what is disturbing is that I simply came to the board out of the spirit of wanting more input. I never was in it for self promotion; I have my own career and agents for that. I most certainly was not in it for the money. I, in fact have spent more of my own time and money than I will make on my page in a year.

Because you don't know me, you would not know the countless numbers of people in the industry who are frustrated with the gate keepers who won't even give a glance to great established and new artists because they don't fit some "model"of what celebrity should look like. I have been blessed in that for the past 15 years, I have been able to earn my living as a performer. I have not had to wait tables, or temp. I have earned a really good living. So, when someone close to me suggested that I write for the Examiner.com, because of my love and respect for all that have not had the same opportunities I have, I thought I would give it a try. Until yesterday when I joined "O," I thought I had contributed. I still believe in some small way, I am helping to bring a voice to some people in our industry. I have worked with musicians that work numerous jobs just to keep the music and the dream alive.

I guess I did what you should do when you believe in something so deeply. I put myself out there. When you do that, you take what is dealt you. But for the record, I was here for the suggestions, the discussion and yes...the debate. If anyone on this board thinks otherwise due to some lack of judgment on my part, I sincerely apologize. That is all I can do. Thank you.

I think you'll be fine here, just stick around and contribute to other threads.

There is a WEALTH of information here - artists, producers, and just your average fans (like myself) are all here. I have learned more than I could possibly imagine just in the most casual discussions here, in threads that might otherwise not be that significant.

That's the value (and fun) of the place, not simply asking for recommendations for articles.

FWIW.... I didn't care for the way you were initially treated and a lot of these boards can be rough at first to newcomers. I think a warmer welcome and an invitation to join the conversations and debates would have been more appropriate. Speaking for myself I hope you stick around and participate and express your musical likes and dislikes.

No need to apologize and please stick around.

Absolutely (what Jim said), and I hope you do at least read the board, if not post.

I hope things will get easier here, for all newcomers, but (can I just say it) especially for women who are interested in talking about jazz?

Also, there's an "ignore user" function built into the board software. It can be a life-saver!

Edited by seeline

I gotta say that if a guy's first post was hawking a column praising Dave Koz & Boney James that the reaction would have been equally, uh, "intense". Probably more so.

I don't think the gender of the poster matters. There's really no excuse for being overly rude to someone, especially someone new to the board.

This board has let itself down badly. If you go back to the offending thread you'll see it hasn't stopped yet. How about four-week suspensions for the playground bullies?

Sounds reasonable to me, particularly for a repeat offender.

as I may have mentioned earlier, on the Blindman's Blues Forum they simply delete the offending post and send the poster an email that says such personal attcks are not permitted - I know this because one day someone there posted a weird, semi-personal response to something I had said, and it was immediately cut, and I was CC'd on an email which gave the reason -

This board has let itself down badly. If you go back to the offending thread you'll see it hasn't stopped yet. How about four-week suspensions for the playground bullies?

Would you mind elaborating what you're hinting at?

FWIW, my personal stance on this:

1) No need for any excuse by TJC3. Columnists do come in for criticism, and TJC ought to (and no doubt will) be able to handle that.

2) That quote that JSngry reacted so vehemently against (and - again - rightly so IMHO) and that apparently has appeared quite recently - Aug. 3 - in the media and is therefore a current topic right now has been explained by JSngry AT LENGTH to be utter nonsense. I really cannot see ANYTHING offending nor any bullying there. He has reasoned perfectly well (and well-founded).

If you put something in writing that you declare to be a fact even though it clearly and obviously is incorrect then this literally calls for objection.

That's part of the professional risk of any journalist - everywhere. And it is NOT offending or offensive if criticism backed up as thoroughly as JSngry did here is clearly voiced as such.

Nuff sed ... food for thought ...

2) That quote that JSngry reacted so vehemently against (and - again - rightly so IMHO) and that apparently has appeared quite recently - Aug. 3 - in the media and is therefore a current topic right now has been explained by JSngry AT LENGTH to be utter nonsense. I really cannot see ANYTHING offending nor any bullying there. He has reasoned perfectly well (and well-founded).

JSngry's response isn't the issue, it's dan, Dan...DAN GOULD. :lol: