Complete Miles Davis - 70CD + DVD

king ubu

How many GB was it, as a matter of interest? (I've still to load mine in too).

Supposedly 10.59 GB, more or less as these things go.

Thanks !

Amazing to think that the entire recorded output of one of the most iconic musicians of the 20th century can fit comfortably on a nano.

Can you imagine handing one of these things to Miles and saying to him: 'here's everything you ever recorded'.

Bertrand.

You can be sure there would have been a couple of "f-bombs" in the answer...:w

and a couple of mothers.. :D

If anyone caught The Thick of It (BBC TV) when Jamie McDonald the foul-mouthed press/PR guy describing what he would do with an iPod Nano and where he would stick it, this probably approximates to what Miles would have said. However, I too have been loading my 70CD set onto my iPod (not my Nano). The temptation to walk around with the majority of Miles' works is too irresistible.

Edited by RogerF

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing to think that the entire recorded output of one of the most iconic musicians of the 20th century can fit comfortably on a nano.

Can you imagine handing one of these things to Miles and saying to him: 'here's everything you ever recorded'.

Bertrand.

well, the recorded Columbia output.

• 1 year later...

I haven't been buying music the past couple of years and am curious how you advise one who wants the Complete Miles Columbia box. Does $338 (Amazon.com) seem O.K., or does it regularly appear for something significantly less (say, $275, or so)?

Very happy to be getting re-acquainted with this amazing forum after a two year hiatus...

Rupe

IDK if the Miles complete Columbia set is totally worth it b/c you don't get things like the Complete Plugged Nickel, complete Blackhawk sets, the bonus tracks, the Europe '67 stuff, etc. I have a mix of the individual boxes and single Legacy/Legacy Edition releases for Miles' Columbia period.

I think the Complete Album Collection is worth it if you're new to collecting Miles on cd. It does have the complete Blackhawk material, and there are bonus tracks scattered in the set. Sure it does not have much of the extra material in the metal-spined sets, etc. but if this offers twenty or thirty albums you don't already have I think it's a really good deal.

The set is for sale from popmarket.com for 270. Occasionally in the past it has been lower. Whether there will be lower prices frequently in the future. . . I just don't know really.

I'd like to transfer this box on my Nano (16gb), anyone know how many GB's this monster takes up?

Depends on your bitrate. Here's a calculator for mp3 (interactive, nothing to download), but I'm guessing equivalent bitrate AAC files would be similar in size (I've also read that AAC needs lower bitrates to get similar quality to MP3):

http://www.rvmsounds.com/calculator/

e.g., 1 hour @ 256kbps = 112.5mb

If you're using Apple Lossless, then the bitrate is going to be over 800kbps, so figure an hour would be close to 400mb (unless it's a more space-efficient algorithm I don't know about).

Edited by Pete C

I think the Complete Album Collection is worth it if you're new to collecting Miles on cd. It does have the complete Blackhawk material, and there are bonus tracks scattered in the set. Sure it does not have much of the extra material in the metal-spined sets, etc. but if this offers twenty or thirty albums you don't already have I think it's a really good deal.

The set is for sale from popmarket.com for 270. Occasionally in the past it has been lower. Whether there will be lower prices frequently in the future. . . I just don't know really.

Really? It does have the Complete Blackhawk? Cool.

The set is for sale from popmarket.com for 270.

Discount code "facebook10" brought the total (including shipping) down to $250. Happy birthday to me!

Thanks, jazzbo.

Congrats! It's a fun set to explore. There are some interesting versions of lps in here, such as the original mix on the Bitches Brew cds, the better sounding Japanese versions of Agharta and Panagea in comparison to the US releases, scattered throughout the sound may be better for a given album than on the common US cd release, the Isle of Wight cd, and there's the really cool collections of previously unreleased material on sets like Directions and Circle in the Round that dish up some of the extra stuff in the metal-spine box. I've enjoyed having it and I basically had it all before (even the dvd, but the dvd is a lot better than the sources I had!)

• 9 years later...

I sprang for this for $260 on Amazon (like $3.50 a disc), and am glad I did.  All the best editions as far as remasters and bonus cuts, and the mini-LP packaging is beautifully done.  Live in Europe DVD.  Good 250 page book.  I'll happily standardize on this, move my individual CD's to new homes, and really analyze the metal-spine boxes (hate that packaging) and other "special editions" to see what I really want to keep and what can be passed on.  I also have owned the Dylan set with the same format since it came out, and am very happy with it also.  Have not gone for the Johnny Cash and Johnny Mathis sets, and don't plan to, but they do hold some interest to me.  The concept and execution are great.

• 4 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, Holy Ghost said:

Would like it, but anything after his "retirement" are not of interest, which is why I sat on this set, probably too long. 

Those post-retirement discs account for not even 10% of the set (7 of 73 discs).  Think of the set as the very best versions (latest remasters and most complete bonus cuts) of other 66 discs for less than $4 a disc, plus they throw in the 7 post-retirement discs as a bonus.  Does that help talk you into it?  Amazon currently out of stock, but there's a set being auctioned on ebay which is currently really low, and several on discogs which are very reasonable priced.

The ‘Complete Miles’ is a great set and one I frequently access. Remember when it came out that they messed up the lid and some of the CDs had glue inside the covers. Ended up being sent a replacement set.

Another nice thing is that many of the CDs have bonus tracks not on the original LPs.

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

The ‘Complete Miles’ is a great set and one I frequently access. Remember when it came out that they messed up the lid and some of the CDs had glue inside the covers. Ended up being sent a replacement set.

I am on the final CD now, and have not had that problem at all, so they apparently fixed it!

On 7/2/2022 at 10:56 AM, sidewinder said:

Another nice thing is that many of the CDs have bonus tracks not on the original LPs.

I got a replacement box as well.  Mostly because two corners on the box had small rips.  When I sent for the replacement I hadn't heard about the glue on the CDs problem, so just expected to get an empty replacement box.  Was surprised when I received the entire set. 

On 7/2/2022 at 0:45 PM, Holy Ghost said:

Would like it, but anything after his "retirement" are not of interest, which is why I sat on this set, probably too long. 

I suppose the bigger problem for me, is that I've been buying all the reissues in the traditional cd format for the last 20 years, and now, as much as I like uniformity, I ask, why didn't Columbia start this box set at the beginning???   Frustrating. 

41 minutes ago, Holy Ghost said:

I suppose the bigger problem for me, is that I've been buying all the reissues in the traditional cd format for the last 20 years, and now, as much as I like uniformity, I ask, why didn't Columbia start this box set at the beginning???   Frustrating. 

They do it to get suckers like me buying the same material over and over again throughout the decades.  For instance, 'Kind of Blue'.  I've owned it on LP, cassette, first CD release, corrected CD release, Legacy Edition 2-CD release, metal spine MIles-Coltrane box set, and now in this big box.  'Bitches Brew' I've owned on LP, cassette, CD, 3 disc anniversary edition, 4 disc anniversary edition, metal spine complete box set, and now this big box.  And so on.  And so forth.