Complete Miles Davis - 70CD + DVD

king ubu

I think the whole point of releasing this box now is as a Christmas gift. You know someone, maybe a corporate client, it's both a safe bet and an impressive gift. Who cares what they do with it after they receive it? Probably give it to some high school nephew.

I think we should keep an eye out for remainders, maybe around January.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I'm actually glad I was able to pick up the various records the way I did (in isolated purchases from 1976 through to 2009, in a completely bizarre order!).

That was fun wasn't it? I recall going from A Silent Way, 'Round Midnight, Blackhawk 2 to Big Fun in the early going. I took me awhile to buy OJC's as I thought "Original Jazz Classics" sounded too much like K-TEL or those other "only on TV" music labels. :lol:

But I'm actually glad I was able to pick up the various records the way I did (in isolated purchases from 1976 through to 2009, in a completely bizarre order!).

That was fun wasn't it? I recall going from A Silent Way, 'Round Midnight, Blackhawk 2 to Big Fun in the early going. I took me awhile to buy OJC's as I thought "Original Jazz Classics" sounded too much like K-TEL or those other "only on TV" music labels. :lol:

I started with Bitches Brew...which I found very dull so I instantly gave up on electric Miles. Pinballed around 'Kind of Blue' and the Columbias of that time and the Prestige twofers of the 50s material. One of the additional problems in the UK was that most of the 60s material was not available domestically in the late 70s/early 80s. I had import versions of 'My Funny Valentine' and 'Miles Smiles' and bought the Blackhawk double LP on a trip to Brussels! It wasn't until the early 90s that I got round to Filles and In a Silent Way - at which point I started pinballing round the 60s Quintet and electric Miles. Came to adore Bitches Brew at that time.

I ordered this set for two reasons.

a) I have money in the bank, still. Seems miraculous. Something to celebrate with a nice jazz treasure.

b) I have the Glenn Gould Columbia "Original Jacket" box set, and LOVE it. This seems just like it, and will probably sit right on the shelf next to it, and will be very convenient for listening to Miles Columbia discs.

Additioinally, I'll have fun and practice my concentration by comparing cd issues on Columbia and Sony of these titles. I know that there are at least a half a dozen to a dozen that I can sell or give away and keep the box set versions. Maybe more, I have lots of Sony Miles cds, many of the US, and all the boxsets.

One of the additional problems in the UK was that most of the 60s material was not available domestically in the late 70s/early 80s. I had import versions of 'My Funny Valentine' and 'Miles Smiles' and bought the Blackhawk double LP on a trip to Brussels! It wasn't until the early 90s that I got round to Filles and In a Silent Way - at which point I started pinballing round the 60s Quintet and electric Miles. Came to adore Bitches Brew at that time.

That's correct - they were very difficult to pick up over here. I survived for years with Italian import CBS pressings of 'Miles Smiles' and 'Sorcerer' and a very nice Dutch CBS pressing of 'Filles'. Only had the early 70s electric stuff on UK CBS. Then in the last 10 years I was able to pick up near-mint CBS 6-eye/2-eye LP US originals or 1st repressings at a very good price of pretty well the whole catalogue. Plus the Mosaics. :)

Edited by sidewinder

I think Russell is right. This is an online amazon only, limited edition, of a major artist with great cross genre appeal. There aren't likely going to be many discounted sets.

You never know. They're manufacturing X number of copies, based on sales forecasts. What if it's a dud sales-wise? It may not get remaindered through Amazon; instead, it could be through some no-name reseller on Ebay.

Remember, by and large, I don't think this is meant to appeal to jazz buffs, since they'll already have most of the music (and why pay such a high price just for fill-ins)? Instead, I think it's intended for gift purposes, similar to, oh I don't know, the complete Get Smart on DVD. Sure, there's a market, but did they nail the forecast accurately? That's the question.

I think Russell is right. This is an online amazon only, limited edition, of a major artist with great cross genre appeal. There aren't likely going to be many discounted sets.

You never know. They're manufacturing X number of copies, based on sales forecasts. What if it's a dud sales-wise? It may not get remaindered through Amazon; instead, it could be through some no-name reseller on Ebay.

Remember, by and large, I don't think this is meant to appeal to jazz buffs, since they'll already have most of the music (and why pay such a high price just for fill-ins)? Instead, I think it's intended for gift purposes, similar to, oh I don't know, the complete Get Smart on DVD. Sure, there's a market, but did they nail the forecast accurately? That's the question.

Amazon might make it difficult to resell, but I guess you never know. I have and love the Glenn Gould box set, but I really think this is a different market (and one that is harder to judge whether Amazon got it right). I'm not an expert, but I don't think all of Gould's ouevre was in print at any one time, the way the Miles has been kept in print by Columbia. And I admit I was wrong about the Beatles box set, but the difference there was the remastering. Nothing indicates that enough of this box has been remastered to convince me that it is worth my dollars. It certainly doesn't do anything for me, as I have anything I would want from the box already.

But yeah, as a corporate gift, maybe, though I think more people will gravitate to the AK100 DVD box.

Yes. But not both sets.

I see no reason why the released material would not be included, in fact initially I had thought it was. but I think it unlikely they would ass the unreleased. All that is unreleased in this set is the dvd, right?

It would be great to see the whole concert released on cd in USA.

Remember, by and large, I don't think this is meant to appeal to jazz buffs, since they'll already have most of the music (and why pay such a high price just for fill-ins)?

Err, no?

It really depends on what kind of "jazz buff" you are.

I do have quite a bit of Miles Davis' recordings, but a large part of them I had never even considered buying (later period(s)). I have a medium-sized collection with a couple of thousand CDs and Miles Davis does NOT feature prominently therein. Yes, the "classics" are there (50s and 60s, roughly), but I have more Teddy Wilson, Erroll Garner, Count Basie, Ellington, Fitzgerald, Peterson, Brubeck, Hodges, etc., etc. etc. ... even more Glenn Miller. :blush2:

I think what you should have said is "I don't think this is meant to appeal to jazz buffs ... registered here".

Besides the fact that this box was a steal for what I paid for it (a laugh, really), I thought this was the perfect opportunity to check out a lot of Miles Davis I haven't consciously explored yet. I love just about all of the "classics" (earlier phase), but I had the misfortune of seeing him live in his "spandex-pants-fuck-the-audience-phase" which annoyed the hell out of me. That time (in Copenhagen) I had to look at his egocentric ass for two hours and although the sound I heard was intriguing, the whole thing just turned me off for two decades. Although, of course, every note he played was interesting, I can't remember him having played more than about 10 or so. That's about $10 per note.

I don't want to be too harsh here, because he's recorded so much stellar stuff, but when I was offered the box at that price, I thought it might be the perfect time to drop old grudges and get on with it.

And ...

... what I've heard so far tells me I've missed out on some good (also: extremely interesting) shit.

My bad entirely.

P.S.: I was given another 4 boxed sets (I now have five on my living room table) to assemble one good set from. I have never ever seen such crappy production value (packaging) ... not even the Armstrong Hot Fives & Sevens comes close (and that packing sucked royally)!

Edited by neveronfriday

What was there that still needed remastering?

The 1949 Paris set, the comeback albums, the unreleased material - all else was recently remastered for the recent box sets.

I do hope however that some of these come out on their own - I'd buy the unreleased items of course!

Also I still don't have "Star Time", which seems to be one of the best of the 80s albums (I've heard it once, years ago, a friend's LP)

What box set was the '49 Paris on? I love that set and I'd love to have it in better sound, as much as possible anyway. Those transcription discs sound beat.

Maybe in the US, but here in London, HMV Oxford Circus has piles of them in the jazz department.

Maybe in the US, but here in London, HMV Oxford Circus has piles of them in the jazz department.

Ooo - I may be calling in there tomorrow. I'll avert my gaze !

My old rant: "Limited" and "Exlusive" are probably the two words one should avoid when purchasing sets. A marketing scam, the lot of it (exceptions, like Mosaic, prove the rule). Anyone stupid enough to think that the Beatles' mono boxed set and the Miles Davis boxed set wouldn't be reprinted ad nauseam if they sell well is an idiot.

Let's wait for the bargain bin appearance of these sets after Christmas .. for a sandwich a piece.

I'm just surprised that after once exclusive DVD sets and limited CD releases are still around today for a fraction of the price (expanded and packaged better than the previous limited and exclusive ones at that) and the various other scams, the industry hasn't started to complain about dwindling sales. I'm sure they'll start suing some customer soon ... for whatever reason. I've stopped falling for it a long time ago and have stopped joining the scrambling masses unless someone has a good offer in the process.

I just wish there were stickers attached to these sets (bright-red, large letters) that state "I'm still going to be around ten years from now for a penny" so we wouldn't miss out on the ones that do disappear like lightening.

Well, I still don't think you'll see many of these at bargain prices, but I hope so for you hopefuls!

Just got my copy about three hours ago. The front edges of the box cover had ripped loose at the seams, and eight discs had glue residue. It was packed with just a big wad of brown paper inside the box and was bounding all the way from Germany.

I cleaned up the discs with "Goof Off" remover and a Fender guitar polishing rag. Very easy to get the glue off, it just smears off. No disc was scuffed or scratched. I've played one of the glue discs before I removed the glue and it played perfectly.

Sound on all the discs that I've played are exceptional. The "Star People" sounds considerably better than my European copy of quite a few years back. "Miles Davis at Fillmore" sounds a lot like the Sony copy I have. "Porgy and Bess" and "My Funny Valentine" (which is the one I played with the glue) sound phenomenal.

I'm happy! I like this set. Now it's time to listen, compare, etc.

Well, 300 bucks for 70 disc IS a BIG FAT bargain, at least for us poor ol' yurpeens over here! I still won't buy it, but consider this: you get the whole box for the price you pay for 8-10 "nice price" CDs sold at regular prices (like RVGs, Verve Originals, or in the better bygone times, OJCCDs of the not limited kind).

I know that you can't flat out compare prices for single discs with box-sets, but the Coltrane box usually can be had for around 90 bucks here. (I had one bought and sent to me from the US, for 35 bucks in total... even though it was a hassle for the friend who bought it for me, I don't think I could find it that cheap over here!)

Didn't avert my gaze but there were quite a few of these in the basement jazz section at £175. The Miles 'Kind of Blue' extravaganza box in the sale at £45 was a better deal. :)

Not to mention quite a few ECMs, Dutton Vocalions etc. at £5 each !

Edited by sidewinder