Complete Miles Davis - 70CD + DVD

king ubu

This is how Google translates the passage:

We found that some caskets' The Complete Columbia Album Collection (70 CD Box + 1DVD) "by Miles Davis showed defects in quality packaging. After checking our stock, we inform you that the items available are now healthy. If you order this product before December 18, you will receive an email telling you how to do to exchange your box for free if he would present defects. Thank you.

So, trusting in the French, I went ahead and ordered the set for $225.27, which is a great buy.

Received my box today from France. Pretty good shape, even though the packaging was sparse. Two slight splits on the front flip-down corners of the box, which I repaired with some clear tape. The box is sturdier than the early ones that I've seen. Cds are in cardboard sleeves, but glue is still a problem, I had fourteen cds with residue. Still, very happy with the purchase and the price, which is on par with AmazonUK. Positives: It is very nice to have the original art work, first time I've seen some of the covers, eg. 1958. As I was checking all the cds, I became more and more astounded by Miles, it was one great album after another. This man was a true artist for the ages.

Are you sure you got a newly manufactured box?

Actually, looking at the instant replay, you're right, I have the old box. Still, it's all good, and it came in decent shape, and a tiny amount of glue has never caused playback problems on my player. So, I'm a happy man right now.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you sure you got a newly manufactured box?

I was wondering this too. Mine arrived yesterday in pristine shape.

If you didn't get the new box, I have to wonder why?

You ordered after the set of new shipments didn't you?

Also, what do you mean by "instant replay"?

Rod

Don't know why I didn't get the new box, I order it late in December --those French!

Instant replay -- my lame attempt at a joke.:blush: I went back and looked at the box again...

But, like I said, I'm happy with what I got.

When I asked them about it yesterday Amazon U.K. assured me that the replacement boxes don't have the glue problem.

But if you get them packaged the way other people got them, you'll need .... a replacement.

Then, somewhere down the line, Amazon can send out replaced replacement boxed sets that were replaced by Sony to those people who don't have any yet.

:g

Started to actually listen to the box last night, the sound is very good on what I've heard so far. I watched the Karlsruhe concert off the DVD, and it was very good, and the sound on it is great, with the picture quality high also. However, there were times when I just wanted to yell out to Tony Williams to lighten up on the drums, some of his playing was too much.

I beg to differ, Tony's playing was just amazing and was one of the lynchpins to this quintet always. I wouldn't change a second of it.

Really? (I not trying to be a smart ass here either Lon) Like I said, there were times in the Karlsruhe concert, where the way Williams' attacked the cymbals drowned out the horns, and became center stage. It could be how the drums were recorded, but it just stuck me, because this was the first time I ever felt that way about Williams' playing.

I purchased my box from Amazon.co.uk wwho said they would replace it only if I returned the original box to them. This is not the deal I heard about from Sony offering to replace the box sets and as a goodwill deal, the purchasers could keep the original box set too. I have not been able to contact anyone at Sony in the UK about this deal and would be really grateful if anyone could supply specific contact details - not just an postal address for Columbia Records UK which I have. Seems like US purchases have been given a good service but UK ones have not. So far. I had glue 'issues' with my set. Any advice gratefully received.

I beg to differ, Tony's playing was just amazing and was one of the lynchpins to this quintet always. I wouldn't change a second of it.

Really? (I not trying to be a smart ass here either Lon) Like I said, there were times in the Karlsruhe concert, where the way Williams' attacked the cymbals drowned out the horns, and became center stage. It could be how the drums were recorded, but it just stuck me, because this was the first time I ever felt that way about Williams' playing.

All I can say is "Really." That intensity is the heartbeat of the quintet. It didn't look to ME as if anyone in the quintet felt Tony was overplaying. And it strikes me as brilliant, assertive and fearless playing, something to be awed.

Roger, have you tried the www.milesdavis.com email route that I and other US buyers from amazon.uk have?

All I can say is "Really." That intensity is the heartbeat of the quintet. It didn't look to ME as if anyone in the quintet felt Tony was overplaying. And it strikes me as brilliant, assertive and fearless playing, something to be awed.

Roger, have you tried the www.milesdavis.com email route that I and other US buyers from amazon.uk have?

That's the best bet - also send them a copy of your receipt (or Amazon sales invoice).

Not to forget also that this was a ridiculously young guy at the time he joined the band who could get away with murder by taking a few liberties. I'm sure Miles liked that aspect of his playing (probably got very much the same effect with Michael Henderson on the bass a few years later).

The Tony Williams from the 70s onwards was a different drummer in many respects - much louder, a more 'conservative' player and more empasis on the bass drum with hyper-active foot pedal. Very heavy sticks too. My hearing's never been the same since standing in front of his kit back in 1990 :lol: .

Edited by sidewinder

Tony always sounded like Tony, not matter what. Sure, what "Tony" sounded like would change over the years, but "Tony" was always Tony!

It took me a while to get used to the later "Tony", but I dig it now. Better late than never, I suppose. It's proven to be a distinct, original voice with its own logic, idea, realities, and vision. And it swung like hell.

I wonder whether particularly aggressive drummers might not seem a little hard on the ear no matter who they are just because we might not be used to hearing them. When I first heard Buddy Rich (in the 60s Pacific Jazz records, believe it or not--I was pretty young!), at first I thought, man, he is too damned loud, but as I've listened to him over the years, on those records and others, I've come to appreciate the way he propelled those bands. Tony strikes me the same way, albeit in a very different context.

gregmo