New Releases in Jazz Review

Brad

I just got my copy of the April Jazz Review and besides having articles on Wardell, Freddie Redd and Tal Farlow, the following jumped out at me:

Proper is putting out 3 new box sets, one on Johnny Hodges, from 1937-1952 (which should nicely dovetail with the first Mosaic box), Mildred Bailey between 1929-1942 (I assume if you have the Mosaic you don't need this) and one called Swing: Tanzen Verboten Swing Music and Nazi Propaganda Swing During WWII. As a historical study, that sounds very interesting.

They also reviewed Mike DiRubbio's cd on Criss Cross called Human Spirit. Heard one cut of that on the radio and sounded like well played hard bop. Features Jim Rotundo (tp), DiRubbio (as), David Hazeltine (p, who also wrote the arrangements), Peter Washington (bass) and Joe Farnsworth (drums). This is a cd I want to pick up. ;)

In their miscellaneous review section ("Fast Taste"), they reviewed a new cd from Definitive called John Coltrane Complete Recordings with Dizzy Gillespie. If there's a poster boy for truth in advertising, this appears to be it. He's heard just once on this cd. This is probably a partial rework or copy of Dizzy's School Days on Savoy. Not a great cd but I can't imagine selling off any Dizzy cd that I have.

There's also a 2 CD set from Proper of Stuff Smith's between early 1936 and 1945. Jazz violin is not my bag but as far as it goes, I'm sure it's good.

Edited by Brad

• 2 weeks later...

Brad, if you could hear some Stuff Smith it just might change your mind about jazz violin. I used to not be into jazz violin at ALL until I heard an album of Joe Venutie playing with Zoot Sims. There's a Verve 2-disc with three albums-worth of material, it has Smith with Dizzy Gillespie and Oscar Peterson and it swings like mad. If you see it used, give it a try! You won't be sorry.

I thought Jazz Violin was really a waste of time too.. until many years ago when Jazz records were not that readily available ( in England ) the world Record club put out the Diz / Stuff Lp.. one listen to Rio Pakistan and I was hooked. If you have doubts and can find that 2CD set.. snap it up... listen, then sell it and buy the Mosaic.

That's good advice there re: Stuff Smith. I would think that a fan of Parker's would like Stuff.

The Definitive Coltrane is pretty cool. . . just don't expect it to really be "a Coltrane cd." It's Diz all the way! ;)

That Milton Brown is nearly a complete set! That's great. And the Verboten Swing box set looks quite interesting.

Edited by jazzbo

Proper is putting out 3 new box sets, one on Johnny Hodges, from 1937-1952 (which should nicely dovetail with the first Mosaic box), Mildred Bailey between 1929-1942 (I assume if you have the Mosaic you don't need this) and one called Swing: Tanzen Verboten Swing Music and Nazi Propaganda Swing During WWII.  As a historical study, that sounds very interesting.

CD Universe has these three, plus a Western Swing one for $16.79:

Johnny Hodges - Jeep Is Jumpin' - 4 CD box (Proper 58) May 13

-- 1937-1952; 94 tracks; 44 page booklet

Mildred Bailey - Mrs. Swing - 4 CD box (Proper 57) May 13

-- 1929-1942; 100 tracks; 44 page booklet

Various Artists - Swing Tanzen Verboten: Swing & Nazi Propaganda - 4 CD box (Proper 56) May 13

-- 44 page booklet

Milton Brown & his Musical Brownies - Daddy of Western Swing - 4 CD box (Proper 59) May 13

-- 106 tracks; 60 page booklet