Grant Green on TV 1966, WGBH-TV Boston

monkboughtlunch

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reached out to Lee Tanner who took the photo of Grant Green. It was for a show he produced called "Mixed Bag." He said the 1966 Boston TV footage has SURVIVED!!!!!!!!

I have forwarded the lead to Michael Cuscuna and the "Jazz Icons DVD" folks.

It would be awesome if this uncirculating 1966 Grant Green TV performance makes it to DVD!!

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Edited by monkboughtlunch

I could have sworn that this subject had been brought up here before. It may be buried in another thread topic, but I'm sure I posted something pertaining to the multiple photos in Tanner's "Images Of Jazz" which were taken at WGBH-TV (others included Wes, George Benson, Larry Coryell). Considering the scarcity of Green footage, I can see how his would be a priority. At any rate, it's nice to hear that the tape has supposedly survived. I would have thought otherwise, considering how often tape was re-used back in the day.

I reached out to Lee Tanner who took the photo of Grant Green. It was for a show he produced called "Mixed Bag." He said the 1966 Boston TV footage has SURVIVED!!!!!!!!

It would be awesome if this uncirculating 1966 Grant Green TV performance makes it to DVD!!

If he's certain its survived then he must have a copy or know who does or at least where it would be. Then the issue is purchase/licensing and getting permission from estate(s), none of which should be difficult to do, IMO. Seems to me that if the footage has really survived and is in good condition, getting it to market should not be a difficult task.

If he's certain its survived then he must have a copy or know who does or at least where it would be. Then the issue is purchase/licensing and getting permission from estate(s), none of which should be difficult to do, IMO. Seems to me that if the footage has really survived and is in good condition, getting it to market should not be a difficult task.

Tanner said: "survived. Contact WGBH-tv in Boston for info"

Is it possible JOHN PATTON or LARRY YOUNG performed with Green on this show?

:excited::excited::excited::excited::excited:

Who the hell ELSE would have been playing with Grant Green, circa 1966????

A quick 'n' dirty check of the AMG semi-confirms that damn near EVERY date Green was on (with organ) in '65, '66, and '67 -- was either with John Patton, or Larry Young. The ONLY exception is Billy Gardner, who played on Lou Donaldson's "Musty Rusty" for Cadet, and also George Braith's "Extension" (only 2 out 9 sessions -- the other 7 are all Patton or Young, plus two or three dates without organ).

I'm sure Patton or Young would have been Green's first-call choice. Whether either of them were available, or not, is really the only question (in my mind).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Well, ask Lee Tanner - he ought to recall.

I did indeed ask him about the other personnel and set list. The only feedback he gave so far is a very brief "survived," and directing me to contact to the TV station. No info on personnel yet. Will keep everyone posted if additional info comes to light.

Edited by monkboughtlunch

Is it possible JOHN PATTON or LARRY YOUNG performed with Green on this show?

:excited::excited::excited::excited::excited:

Who the hell ELSE would have been playing with Grant Green, circa 1966????

A quick 'n' dirty check of the AMG semi-confirms that damn near EVERY date Green was on (with organ) in '65, '66, and '67 -- was either with John Patton, or Larry Young. The ONLY exception is Billy Gardner, who played on Lou Donaldson's "Musty Rusty" for Cadet, and also George Braith's "Extension" (only 2 out 9 sessions -- the other 7 are all Patton or Young, plus two or three dates without organ).

I'm sure Patton or Young would have been Green's first-call choice. Whether either of them were available, or not, is really the only question (in my mind).

You are incorrect. He also performed with Wild Bill Davis on the two Johnny Hodges Lps from 1965.

My guess is that John Patton performed with him on the TV show. But could also be Larry Young.