Grant Green on TV 1966, WGBH-TV Boston

monkboughtlunch

It's like that date you've waited for all week and she doesn't show up. It was good to believe for a while that this existed.

Just thought of something. This is probably an extreme longshot, but...

Atwood said:

I don't believe we even kept a record of the side musicians in those days.

Therefore, what if Grant Green WAS THE SIDEMAN for this TV show? What if the ORGANIST was leading this group?

Since Mr. Luf, the WGBH archivist, said some of the "Jazz" shows have survived, what if there is a tape is filed under John Patton or Larry Young etc (with no mention of other personnel)?

Edited by monkboughtlunch

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By Stereojack's recollection the show would have been to promote Grant's appearance at a Boston club, so it seems like its a long shot - very long shot. But it would be great if they told you what did survive from both shows (doesn't sound like it would be a very long list), especially since the Jazz Icons folk say that they are beginning to work with WGBH. What would they be working on? That's the remaining question. Or did WGBH have a different show in the 70s or 80s that the might be trying to license?

What truly survived, Tanner's faulty memory notwithstanding, is what we need.

By Stereojack's recollection the show would have been to promote Grant's appearance at a Boston club, so it seems like its a long shot - very long shot. But it would be great if they told you what did survive from both shows (doesn't sound like it would be a very long list), especially since the Jazz Icons folk say that they are beginning to work with WGBH. What would they be working on? That's the remaining question. Or did WGBH have a different show in the 70s or 80s that the might be trying to license?

What truly survived, Tanner's faulty memory notwithstanding, is what we need.

I asked Mr. Luf if he would be so kind as to provide me a bullet point list of the lead artists on all extant "Jazz" and "Mixed Bag" tapes.

What's interesting is that Atwood didn't believe any of the "Jazz" programs were recorded due to union agreements. But the station archivist, Mr. Luf, said some had indeed survived.

So my hope is:

a) the Green performance COULD survive if the organist was the leader and Green was the sideman (e.g. the tape is filed under "John Patton" and Green's name wasn't listed on the tape logs since he was a sideman). Remember, Atwood said they didn't record the names of side personnel.

b) even if the Green performance doesn't exist, the fact that the performances of other jazz greats may have been preserved from the "Jazz" show is pretty exciting.

So hopefully Mr. Luf will share the full list of artists and we will know more perhaps next week.

• 1 year later...

I asked Mr. Luf if he would be so kind as to provide me a bullet point list of the lead artists on all extant "Jazz" and "Mixed Bag" tapes.

So hopefully Mr. Luf will share the full list of artists and we will know more perhaps next week.

Anything ever come of this??

(I checked the parallel Steve Hoffman thread (linked elsewhere in this thread), and nothing was mentioned there either. I may give that thread a bump too, asking the same question.)

• 11 months later...

Anything ever come of this??

Unknown. Would like to know exactly which artists that WGBH does have.

Came across a bit more about the Jazz program on WGBH. Some 1966 period footage of WGBH:

http://wgbhalumni.org/2011/01/25/it-was-short-but-what-a-ride/

From Dave Svens — 1/25/2011

My tenure on the production crew at ‘GBH lasted from October 1965 to May of 1967. Bill Cosel was my TV Production Instructor at Northeast Broadcasting School (2nd and 3rd floors above the Hayes-Bickford Restaurant on Boylston St. across from the Pru).

He convinced me to intern at 125 Western Avenue every Wednesday afternoon and evening. I was hired full-time the following spring. The first show I worked on was “Jazz” (directed by Bill Cosel) a live show in Studio A featuring all the great jazz artists who usually were in town to play at Paul’s Mall and the other active jazz clubs. Jackie and Roy were guests on that first show.

Online: billcosel@aol.com

• 2 years later...

This info may be available on another thread, but I'm getting ready to get some sleep and didn't want to forget to post this: Grant Green, Jr. has rare footage of his dad (I think it is about 38 min) from Paris, 1969. He is selling it for $19.99 at this link at payloadz.com. I originally found out about it several months ago via his facebook page, so it is legitimate:

http://store.payloadz.com/details/2119321-movies-and-videos-music-video-grant-green-video-download-product.html

okay, so what now?

1) is this legit?

2) are others than Grant Green Jr. making profit/earning royalties from this (uhm: is this legit)?

3) are solos by the others cut out?

4) has this been dl-ed from youtube or is it actually in good quality (sorry, I was too late to catch it on youtube, it might have been decent quality there, too, I wouldn't know)

5) is this legit?

Feedback from Michael Cuscuna (without a doubt the greatest reissue expert and champion of Blue Note artists). He's going to reach out to Jazz Icons DVD folks as well. I'm sure his email will get a lot more attention with the Jazz Icons folks than mine.

That's quite a find. Blue Note isn't doing DVDs anymore but I can forward it to Jazz Icons if you like. I've never seen or heard of this!Michael

Nice work MBL!

• 2 years later...
On 8/11/2009 at 7:01 AM, Stereojack said:

This still is most likely from a WGBH program entitled "Jazz" which ran weekly for a year or two in the mid 1960's. Each week the program, which was hosted by Herb Pomeroy, featured a jazz artist, usually someone who was appearing at one of the local clubs that week. I saw many of the programs, and managed to make audio tapes of several of them, although I do not have the Grant Green program. I believe Grant may have been appearing at Estelle's that week.

Steve Schwartz (WGBH jazz show host) and I (former WGBH host) have have had conversations about the program, and after many inquiries, concluded that no video of the show survives, and that only a handful of audio survives. It's possible that the show was aired live.

Among the people who appeared are Roland Kirk, Freddie Hubbard, Elvin Jones, Charles Lloyd, Kenny Burrell, Art Farmer, Illinois Jacquet, Carol Sloane. I can also remember seeing (but not taping) Sonny Rollins and Thelonious Monk.

Audio is circulating on YouTube of Kenny Burrell from his 1966 appearance on WGBH TV.  See below clip and listen to the announcer outro at 20:10. The announcer states: "You've been listening to Kenny Burrell featured this week on Jazz."

Did WGBH also simulcast the live Jazz TV performances on their sister FM radio station (in addition to TV)? Despite the massive tape hiss (the YouTube clip may be a multigenerational copy) in the Burrell clips, it's clear it's from an inline source (vs someone holding a mic to a TV speaker). I wonder if someone taped it inline from an FM broadcast signal. 

Burrell, Green and Montgomery all appeared on the WGBH TV show in 1966. They were all established names by this time among the jazz community. It's hard to believe some jazz guitar fans in the broadcast radius didn't try to record the audio of all these shows off the air. So there may be hope of at least hearing the Grant Green live performance even if the 2 inch tapes are long gone.

The guy that posted this 1966 Burrell WGBH audio clip is "Joe Louis."  He has posted quite a few previously unreleased Green recordings, including alternate takes from "Matador." I wonder if he has a Green audio recording of the WGBH performance.  It would be interesting if Joe Louis could share where the WGBH audio of Burrell was sourced from and what else may have survived from the series.

Edited by monkboughtlunch

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 13.4.2017 at 5:20 AM, monkboughtlunch said:

Resonance is releasing another CD culled from unreleased1966 radio broadcast recordings at the Penthouse. The first CD featured the Three Sounds.  

I wonder if Grant Green toured in Seattle in 1960s and was recorded at the Penthouse.  Anyone know?

Someone i know has a list of all the bands that played there. no grant but the montgomery bros performed there in 1962.