Julie & Julia

I saw it the other night. There are some VERY good performances (aside from Streep and Adams, there's also Stanley Tucci as Paul Childs) and the film is a lot of fun on a number of a levels (I left the film wanting to go home and cook something complicated). On the other hand, I'm also reading the book (Julie Powell's book, not Childs' "My Life in France," on which the film is also based) and I feel that Julie Powell's story got slimmed down to a ridiculous amount. Without question, Childs' story is the more interesting, but Powell's part of the movie makes her look like nothing more than a whiny brat. While her book has a certain amount of whining, the film makes it look like she does nothing but. All of the secondary characters in her life (aside from her husband) are dropped completely (she has a brother who does quite a bit in the book). And the successful friends she lunches with in the film are complete fiction...

Just saw the movie tonight, thoroughly loved it! Streep hams it up in grand style, and I think Amy Adams is adorable, not at all the whiny brat some have called her. She has her trials and tribulations, but I bought it. Stanley Tucci is understated as Childs' husband, and Streep's final scene is very touching.

:tup

*sigh*

Ok, for real - LTB & I both want to see this and are looking to have a "date night", what with diner and a movie and all that.

Skipped the dinner (not hungry), but did the movie.

Superb in every regard, we both totally dug it. Positivism w/o the dreaded "feel-good" factor. Highly recommended to all, save for the terminally bitter and/or chronically hyper-hormonal.

I notice lately the ads only seem to be showing the Meryl Streep parts.

We saw the film at 5 pm at our local 'art house' and the theater was uncharacteristically full - of very elderly people many with walking frames etc. Their pre-film conversation was very much along the lines of "This is the first time I've been to the movies in 20 years..." It seemed pretty obvious that they were there solely because of their memories of Julia Child as a TV personality 'back in the day" and those memories were more to do with Julia's TV persona than their interest in French Cookery. Having discovered Julie's blog long before the book and the movie I feel she was a bit short-changed but that's Hollywood and that's the way things go. Stanley Tucci gave a great under-stated performance - Streep I thought went a bit over the top at times. All in all, I'm glad they made the movie and I'm glad I saw it.

Edited by carnivore