What is your Faith???? (or lack thereof)

belief_o_matic.gif

Even if YOU don't know what faith you are, Belief-O-Matic™ knows. Answer 20 questions about your concept of God, the afterlife, human nature, and more, and Belief-O-Matic™ will tell you what religion (if any) you practice...or ought to consider practicing.

Warning: Belief-O-Matic™ assumes no legal liability for the ultimate fate of your soul.

To try Belief-O-Matic™ for yourself, all you have to do is: CLICK HERE.

Also, be sure to cut-n-paste at least the top 5 matches, based on your answers, and post them to this thread!!

PS: Be sure to answer the "What priority do you place on this selection?" question after each of the actual questions in the quiz. That allows a sort of 'weighted' score, which will return better and probably more accurate results. [Would that all on-line quizes had some sort of way of denoting if you think that your particular answer to a particular question is particularly meaningful (or not).]

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just took the quiz, and here's my "top-5" matches...

1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)

2. Secular Humanism (99%)

3. Liberal Quakers (87%)

4. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (84%)

5. Nontheist (72%)

And guess what!!! - I really am a 'devout' Unitarian-Universalist, and I have been for about 3-4 years. (And my beliefs have been consistent with UUism for at least 10 years.) I also belonged to a local Secular Humanist group (for about 6 months) when I first moved to Kansas City, back around 1994.

As a kid, I was brought up in the United Church of Christ, which is a liberally dogmatic mainstream Protestant church. (And I also frequently went to a liberally dogmatic mainstream Presbyterian Church as a kid too.)

How about you??? I'd be interested in see all of us take this quiz, and report our findings here. (That includes those of you who do not consider yourself to be particularly religious, including atheists, as well as those that just aren't all that interested in religious discussions of any sort. I won't mention any names, but I think you know who you are.)

No reason, just curious...

By the way...

I really am a 'devout' Unitarian-Universalist...

...that's a bit of a UU joke. UU congregations include theists, agnostics, and even some atheists too. (To be a 'devout' Unitarian-Universalist is a bit of an oxymoron.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

1. Nontheist (100%)

2. Secular Humanism (93%)

3. Unitarian Universalism (88%)

4. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (80%)

5. Bahá'í Faith (78%)

6. Theravada Buddhism (78%)

7. Liberal Quakers (75%)

8. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (65%)

9. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (63%)

10. Neo-Pagan (63%)

11. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (45%)

12. New Age (43%)

13. Taoism (43%)

14. Orthodox Quaker (42%)

15. Eastern Orthodox (40%)

16. Islam (40%)

17. Jainism (40%)

18. Orthodox Judaism (40%)

19. Reform Judaism (40%)

20. Roman Catholic (40%)

21. Sikhism (40%)

22. Jehovah's Witness (38%)

23. Mahayana Buddhism (38%)

24. Seventh Day Adventist (33%)

25. New Thought (28%)

26. Hinduism (26%)

27. Scientology (20%)

Now that's a funny list! I share 20% of my thinking with Tom Cruise? Cool! Jehova's witnesses have given up ringing our bell, and yet I share 38% of their ideas?! :wacko:

And could someone please explain what no. 5 "Bahá'í Faith (78%)" means? Maybe this is an option?

• Belief in Deity

One personal God Almighty, creator, omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent--incorporeal spirit.

• Incarnations

The prophets of many religions, e.g. Jesus Christ, Moses, Muhammad, Buddha, are revered as Manifestations and Messengers of God, pre-existent spirits (with individual souls) sent to reveal God's message. Each of the Manifestations is considered equal in stature as the perfect reflection, the infallible word, and the divine spirit of God. Bahá'u'lláh was the latest but not final Messenger, bringing God’s revelation to the modern world, and is considered to be the fulfillment of the promised return of Christ. The Messengers are not worshipped as equal or identical to God but are considered an intermediate level of existence between human and God.

• Origin of Universe and Life

God created all from nothing and controls all phenomena that modern science reveals about the origins of the universe and life. They support scientific study and education, as they believe science serves to reveal rather than dispute God's awesome creative powers.

• After Death

Literal interpretations of resurrection, heaven, and hell are regarded as figments of imagination. Resurrection is the spiritual awakening that occurs upon the appearance of a new Manifestation. Heaven is the indescribable bliss of closeness to God, harmony with God's will as revealed by the Manifestations--eternal spiritual life. The closer one is to knowing and loving God, the greater the joy of paradise. “Hell” is the self-made torture of isolation from God--spiritual death. Unlimited spiritual growth toward perfection continues after death.

• Why Evil?

No original sin or Satan. The human nature that God created is all good, including both animal and spiritual aspects. God also gave people free will, and some will choose to express their inherently good nature in imperfect ways. The concept of Satan in the scriptures is symbolic for humans' choice to express the lower or animal side of their nature in ways that separate them from God. Those farthest from God are most prone to wrongdoing.

• Salvation

Salvation lies in the search for truth as revealed by the Manifestations of God--the achievement of spiritual perfection and closeness to God, deliverance from one's imperfection or base nature. This is achieved by faith in God and strict obedience to the commands of God; turning to the latest Manifestation of God, Bahá'u'lláh, for spiritual guidance; study of the scriptures of the Manifestations; required daily private prayer; meditation; active participation in service work (tantamount to worship). No sacraments, e.g., baptism.

• Undeserved Suffering

All suffering, including that caused by natural disasters, are God's will as a punitive, educational, or remedial response to individual or to humanity's denial of God and disobedience to the Divine Commands. All of humanity suffer when one commits wrong, and all benefit when one does good. The best often suffer the most for humanity's misdeeds. Nonpunitive suffering is part of God's plan to challenge the soul with adversity. Suffering educates the sufferer and aids spiritual growth toward perfection. Suffering helps people to remember God in their grief. The suffering of innocents will be greatly rewarded in the world to come.

• Contemporary Issues

Devoted to world unity--one world government and religion, peaceful conflict resolution (but opposes disobedience to one's government), gender equality and women's rights (which does not include promotion of abortion rights), anti-poverty, and anti-discrimination. Service to others is considered a form of worship. Discourages divorce but doesn’t punish or condemn; disapproves of homosexuality.

Hell, I guess NOT! Help! What would *I* need salvation for? Uh, oh! :eye:

I guess I am a hopeless case,

ubu :w

Strange how close together all of our results are...mine were the same as everyone else's, with Secular Humanism being at the top, and Unitarian Universalism being second. Interestingly enough, the religion I was raised in and no longer am a part of (Mormonism) was 7th on my list.

Strange how close together all of our results are...mine were the same as everyone else's, with Secular Humanism being at the top, and Unitarian Universalism being second.

Well, if not, Universalism wouldn't be universal - and Humanism wouldn't be human - you dig?

Edited by mikeweil

Just for fun - or perhaps not - not applicable - or not sure - ??? - I really can't take this seriously:

1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)

2. Liberal Quakers (96%)

3. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (95%)

4. Secular Humanism (88%)

5. Neo-Pagan (88%)

6. New Age (83%)

View my previous post ..... eben if you choose "none of the above" they put you into one of their bags - this is ridiculous and about as reliable as a Sunday paper horoscope. The curse of statistics .....

Yo Rooster,

looks like we're sort-a like brothers in arms on this one!

1. Secular Humanism (100%)

2. Unitarian Universalism (99%)

3. Liberal Quakers (87%)

4. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (82%)

5. Nontheist (72%)

save for the fact that you have two percent more on the liberal christian protestant front that is. But your being such a secular humanist as well, I guess you don't give a damn about that either-

Let's just say, not even close. Of course, I didn't help by labelling each question's significance as "low"-but to give "Christian Scientist" the number one slot is absolutely insane, considering the fact that I believe that any parent who harms their children by denial of modern medical care should be taken out and shot; followed by lengthy incarceration.

Edited by Dan Gould

Since Unitarian Universalism is coming up fairly high on a few of our lists, and since I be a UU, here is beliefnet.com's description of...

What Unitarian Universalists Believe...

Belief in Deity

Very diverse beliefs--Unitarian/Universalists welcome all deity beliefs as well as nontheistic beliefs. Some congregations are formed for those who share a common belief, e.g. Christianity.

Incarnations

Very diverse beliefs, including belief in no incarnations, or that all are the embodiment of God. Some believe Christ is God's Son, or not Son but "Wayshower." [Note: I have no earthly idea what the hell a "wayshower" is - ????? -- RT]

Origin of Universe and Life

Diverse beliefs, but most believe in the Bible as symbolic and that natural processes account for origins.

After Death

Diverse beliefs, but most believe that heaven and hell are not places but are symbolic. Some believe heaven and hell are states of consciousness either in life or continuing after death; some believe in reincarnation; some believe that afterlife is nonexistent or not known or not important, as actions in life are all that matter.

Why Evil?

Most do not believe that humanity inherited original sin from Adam and Eve or that Satan actually exists. Most believe that God is good and made people inherently good but also with free will and an imperfect nature that leads some to immoral behavior. Diverse beliefs. Some believe wrong is committed when people distance themselves from God. Some believe in “karma,” that what goes around comes around. Some believe wrongdoing is a matter of human nature, psychology, sociology, etc.

Salvation

Some believe in salvation through faith in God and Jesus Christ, along with doing good works and doing no harm to others. Many believe all will be saved, as God is good and forgiving. Some believe in reincarnation and the necessity to eliminate personal greed or to learn all of life’s lessons before achieving enlightenment or salvation. For some, the concepts of salvation or enlightenment are irrelevant or disbelieved.

Undeserving Suffering

Diverse beliefs. Most Unitarians do not believe that Satan causes suffering. Some believe suffering is part of God’s plan, will, or design, even if we don’t immediately understand it. Some don’t believe in any spiritual reasons for suffering, and most take a humanistic approach to helping those in need.

Contemporary Issues

The Unitarian Universalist Association’s stance is to protect the personal right to choose abortion. Other contemporary views include working for equality for homosexuals, gender equality, a secular approach to divorce and remarriage, working to end poverty, promoting peace and nonviolence, and environmental protection.

I'm most proud to say that Thomas Jefferson was a Unitarian, as were also John Adams, John Quincy Adams, Millard Fillmore, William Howard Taft, Benjamin Franklin, Paul Revere, Susan B. Anthony, Clarence Darrow, Daniel Webster, Adlai Stevenson, Thomas Paine, Horace Greeley, and Ethan Allen. Also Ray Bradbury, e. e. cummings, T. S. Eliot, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Carl Sandberg, Pete Seeger, Henry David Thoreau, Kurt Vonnegut, and Frank Lloyd Wright.

1. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (100%)

2. Secular Humanism (95%)

3. Liberal Quakers (94%)

4. Unitarian Universalism (94%)

5. Bahá'í Faith (75%)

6. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (75%)

7. Neo-Pagan (66%)

8. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (63%)

9. Jehovah's Witness (63%)

10. Nontheist (62%)

None of the above. :alien: