"Very Early: Bill Evans, 1956-58"

19 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

I'll ask Kirchner about it, but when you've got Evans, Motion, and Gary Peacock (of all people!) and Motion in the studio, what imaginable commercial direction could you have wanted them to take? Choice of material perhaps, but surely not how to play it? Peacock would have bounced his double bass off of Creed's noggin.

maybe... this album was recorded in March 62, certainly somewhat commercial, Peacock on bass

R-3660164-1463069124-1291.jpeg.jpg

or here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMnzFM_Sq8s

you can see Peacock as part of a Dixieland band in a 1961 movie (about minute 13-15)... Peacock in the early 60s was flexible

19 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Bill Kirchner responds: "It wasn’t Trio ’65, it was Trio ’64, with Peacock and Motian.  Both reported (in a panel discussion of Evans sidemen I moderated for the booklet for the Verve 18-CD Evans box) that Taylor was an intrusive pain in the ass telling them how to play.  This was a working group, mind you, so getting acceptable takes should have been easy.  They said that eventually, they just “wanted to get the fuck out of there.”  Too bad—that group no doubt was capable of a far more memorable album.

I’ve heard mixed reports over the years about Taylor.  Despite his undeniable successes, at his worst he seems to have been something of a control freak.  Mel Lewis, for example, 
told me that Taylor wanted him to come in after the Pure Desmond date and overdub a substitute drum part for Connie Kay’s.  Mel declined, and eventually the idea was abandoned
because of potential leakage problems.

That makes sense, Trio 64 is a horrible album. Just looking at the album cover makes me sick, Regardless of what CT put Evans through on Trio '65, and what JS says, Trio '65 contained some classic Earl Zindars tunes, and fine performances by the Trio.

2 hours ago, Niko said:

maybe... this album was recorded in March 62, certainly somewhat commercial, Peacock on bass

R-3660164-1463069124-1291.jpeg.jpg

or here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMnzFM_Sq8s

you can see Peacock as part of a Dixieland band in a 1961 movie (about minute 13-15)... Peacock in the early 60s was flexible

It's one thing for Gary Peacock not to be put off by the tone of a somewhat goofy Candoli Brothers album (don' t know that one myself, but I like the Candolis in all modes; for Gary it was just a gig) and another thing to be Gary Peacock and to be a member of Evans' working trio and not to be bugged by Creed Taylor messing with that date in the studio in whatever way he did -- the "way" we don't know except that it alienated all three musicians. BTW, doesn't a good producer know that alienating the members of the group you're recording is seldom a good idea?

BTW, dig the Candolis in the movie "Bell, Book, and Candle," with Kim Novak, Jimmy Stewart, and Jack Lemmon. The scene where the Candolis agitated duo trumpet work drives Janice Rule out of her mind is priceless. The Candolis arrive at about 5:10 but the whole scene should be seen.

39 minutes ago, sgcim said:

Trio 64 is a horrible album. Just looking at the album cover makes me sick ...

I don't find the album horrible, but I do think it's curious that perhaps the most interesting track ("My Heart Stood Still") was left off the album. My guess is that Creed Taylor didn't like Gary Peacock's solo (which seems to be giving the middle finger to the proceedings).

I like Olga Albizu's paintings:

R-372456-1578746014-8104.jpeg.jpg

4 hours ago, sgcim said:

That makes sense, Trio 64 is a horrible album. Just looking at the album cover makes me sick, Regardless of what CT put Evans through on Trio '65, and what JS says, Trio '65 contained some classic Earl Zindars tunes, and fine performances by the Trio.

What do you dislike about Trio 64?

• 7 months later...