Hammond XB2 help...please

ndhjazz

Ok...So, no it's not the best portable organ out there, but it's what I can afford. Everything works relatively ok on this board except for a little "extra" give side to side on some of the keys and the preset buttons 5, 6, 7, & 8. I'm just mashing and mashing away at these preset buttons to no avail. They don't work with the "edit" button on or not. I've even tried resetting the XB2 (hold down grey "record" button before turning on the power button, etc.) and nothing seems to get the preset buttons to work. Any ideas? Any secret unlocking technique that I don't know of? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much,

-ndhjazz-

Welcome to the board!

It could be that the little pushbuttons are shot. If you can solder (and unsolder) you might be able to find them at a supply store like Mouser and replace them.

The other option is to call Hammond and ask their advice. Ray Gerlich is the head of the service department.

Hi Jim, thanks for the welcome. I've kinda got the Charles Earland thing goin' on. I'm normally a sax/clarinet player, I recently got married this summer to my wife (who is a cellist), and I've always loved groovy organ music (Bro. Jack, McGriff, Jimmy Smith, Groove Holmes, MMW, Galactic, Soulive, Deep Blue Organ Trio, and of course you cats!), so after a year of studying organ (drawbars, basslines, etc) I've started my own organ trio with my brother on guitar. In the town I live in, you gotta be available on as many things as possible! Anyway, that's my story, and thanks for the warm welcome and your help!

I went to mouser and looked around, and I tried to type in "Hammond XB-2 parts, accesories, pushbuttons" and I realize I have no idea what exact type of pushbutton it is that I need. Any help in that area?

Further...I cracked open the XB-2, and carefully took out piece by piece until I could look at the wires, soldering, that makes the preset buttons function. It appears that pushbuttons 5,6,7 & 8 (esp. 7) have been fried because there's a slight black-ish grey circle around the 4 soldering points behind the pushbuttons. I'm actually thinking that I need a whole new circuit piece for that little section dealing with the pushbuttons. Would you know where I could pick that up / order that particular piece?

Lastly, I actually put the entire organ back together again, while not messing it up any further (quite a proud moment in my little life).

Sorry for the long rant, but lemme know if you can answer any of these other questions.

Most appreciative,

-Nathan (ndhjazz)

Nathan,

If you can measure the pushbutton dimensions and perhaps post a picture of them, I could probably find something that would work at Mouser. I just ordered a bunch of buttons for my old Yamaha SY77 synthesizer.

I think you're best bet is to call Hammond and talk to Ray. He will most likely send you a new board and then you can just replace the entire thing, like you mentioned.

Keep playin'!