What are the most important jazz pieces

Daniel A

What jazz tunes/recordings would you consider as the most "important"? The question is a bit imprecise, but I'll try to elaborate:

My girlfriend has never been that much interested in jazz. In fact - she's not interested at all. She likes music, but not improvised jazz, that's all. And I've long since given up trying to "covert"/introduce her to jazz, because it seems rather pointless to try to make someone to listen to a kind of music he or she doesn't really want to hear. She is accepting my great interest in jazz, and I'm accepting that she rather listens to other kinds of music (should I say more "popular" kinds).

However, she would like to know more about jazz on a more "intellectual" level, such as important artists and recordings, so she has asked me to compile a CD as a first introduction to jazz in general. Naturally I want to cover several eras, but I want to avoid more extreme kinds of jazz, like avant-gard, or even post-Atlantic Coltrane, because I know she wouldn't even listen to it. Probably the collection will be cenetered around the period of, say 1940s to 1970s

So, what should I include? I know it's an impossible question, but I would appreciate a few suggestions. So far I have two titles ready: 'So What' and 'Take Five'... :rolleyes:

If the Smitsonian Collection Of Classic Jazz is still available, grab it. It's just what she's looking for, especially w/Martin Williams' annotation. Many have quibbled about certain selections and proportions, but for somebody who wants to "know" the music without REALLY knowing it ;) , it's about as good a deal as there is. You'll like it too, so it's win/win.

Edited by JSngry

Your girlfriend will not like it, but from an intellectual point of view, you cannot pass by FREE JAZZ by Ornette Coleman.

Actually, a friend of mine teaches art at a school for kids between 12 and 18 where he also covers music history. He mentioned some disks he got through the school which had (part of) Free Jazz on it. He played it in class and got a lot of strange looks....

I'd include some Mary Lou Williams, cause it swings like a M.F., is emotionally moving, and will show her that there have been great women in jazz, too (not a dis to the likes of Norah J., who she'd probably also enjoy, but who have really achieved mastery over the vocabulary of the music). I agree about the Dex ballad, and maybe some Lee Morgan (Ceora, Sidewinder to start(?)). Good luck. I've done this thing with about every woman I've ever dated, and it usually got 'em more interested in jazz. :excited:

Daniel A, great idea!

Here's the formula I would use: The important recordings are the originals of those songs to which lyrics have been written by Jon Hendricks, Eddie Jefferson and others for vocalese recordings.

So I would say, off the top of my head...

Charlie Parker - Scrapple from the Apple

James Moody - Moody's Mood for Love

Woody Herman - Four Brothers

Wardell Grey - Twisted

Horace Silver - Senor Blues

Charles Mingus - Goodbye Porkpie Hat

Miles Davis - Four, Boplicity

Brubeck's Time Out and Miles' Kind of Blue are both 'musts' for me. I remember finding these titles stacked at the bottom of my Dad's closet (cira mid 1980s). He'd purchased the records when he was in college in the 1960s. I was intrigued by the covers and more intrigued by the music within.

These two albums helped me transition from Spyro Gyra and Chuck Mangione to 'real' jazz.

Edited by wesbed

What JSngry said. I've seen a lot of used copies of the Smithsonian set at independent record stores for ages. I've tried to make tapes like the one you are attempting for various friends/acquaintances over the years, and my recommendation is to pick one or two (or three at most) tracks that capture the essential qualities of figures such as:

Ellington, Basie, Hawkins, Webster, Parker, Davis, Lester Young, Mingus, Pepper, Bill Evans, Clifford Brown, Horace Silver, Rollins, and so on. Maybe, just maybe, some more accessable composition by Sun Ra and Ornette Coleman. This can be fun for you as well by causing you to focus your thinking. (If you want to include more pre-bop figures, you may have to go to two tapes.) Good luck!

Look at the track-listing for both the Smitsonian and the big Ken Burns box. Pick a subset of tunes from those two sources, and suplement it with a few tunes of your own choice, from your own collection.

I think the Smitsonian set is getting a bit on the 'old' side, in terms of favoring earlier styles (with very little after 1960), but it's not like the Ken Burns set covers the whole gambit either.

Don't forget a couple circa 1970 gems, like maybe Joe Henderson's "Black Narcissus" (the version from "Power to the People"), and maybe a Charles Tolliver big-band tune off "Music Inc & Big Band".

( My wife has responded relatively well to Tolliver tunes for some reason - and the only jazz she normally likes are piano trios ).

Maybe a track off Herbie's "Speak Like A Child", since the horns don't solo, but provide such a nice harmonic framework for things. Maybe a ballad from a 1967 Miles Davis studio recording.

Just some ideas to get you started, in terms of things to add beyond Smitsonian and Ken Burns -- which are both good starting points.

I want to avoid more extreme kinds of jazz, like avant-gard, or even post-Atlantic Coltrane, because I know she wouldn't even listen to it.

I'm sure you probably realize this already, but I felt a need to say it anyway- don't lump ALL of Trane's Impulse recordings into one basket. Among the first ideas that would occur to me if I were in your situation: JOHN COLTRANE & JOHNNY HARTMAN; BALLADS; DUKE ELLINGTON & JOHN COLTRANE. :tup:tup:tup

I always feel its better to get four or five discs of music from now. There's oceans of marvellous contemporary jazz out there. Present it as a living music.

The riches of the past can come later.

After all, if a reluctant reader asked you to recommend some fiction to get him or her interested in reading would you really recommend Chaucer?

Once again, however, Bev is a guy.

And I think you are both off your rockers. Read what Daniel says:

However, she would like to know more about jazz on a more "intellectual" level, such as important artists and recordings, so she has asked me to compile a CD as a first introduction to jazz in general.

"Important artists and recordings ... a first introduction to jazz in general."

Going exclusively with current artists completely contradicts that. At most, something current might be added at the end, as a taste of where jazz is "now". But if she wants to know where jazz has been, there is much better advice already posted.

Edited by Dan Gould

• 2 weeks later...

All suggestions duly noted! Thanks!

I haven't seen any of the Smithsonian sets around here, allthough they seem to be something like what I'm looking for. Anyway, I'll probably put together one or two CDRs from my own collection - of course including informative liner notes penned by myself! ^_^

Regarding the issue with old vs. new recordings, you nailed it, Dan! And, as you said, something contemporary at the end is a good idea too!

I've gotten a lot of good suggestions here - thanks everyone! I'm getting started... as soon as I've stopped playing with my new turntable, that is!