Freedom Now Suite, Max Roach

Teasing the Korean

One of our members posted that the Purple Pleasure vinyl reissue sounds great, like it came from the master tapes.

I sent an e-mail inquiring about this to Michael Fremer (Stereophile, etc.) and he replied that the Pure Pleasure Candid reissues were done from the master tapes. I have no idea where his information came from - just passing on what he wrote.

One of our members posted that the Purple Pleasure vinyl reissue sounds great, like it came from the master tapes.

That was probably me. I can confirm here that the Pure Pleasure LP reissue sounds very good, as you normally expect from a reissue of a 1960 studio recording.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_det...?Title_ID=28849

It's sad that this was never decently reissued on CD. Other jazz labels are constantly remastering their back catalog with little or no benefit, but Candid just keeps their crappy vinyl-sourced CD in print although it's now certain that a good tape exists.

• 2 weeks later...

My cd copy is on the Candid label distributed by Black Lion. Bought it in the UK. Doesn't seem to be a needle drop to me.

Edit to say after further listening I think I'm wrong and it might be taken directly off an Lp.

Edited by medjuck

• 8 years later...
On 18/08/2009 at 4:30 PM, jlhoots said:

My CD copy is a Japanese issue - VICJ-2227.

Said to be 20bitK2.

Came out in 1997. Sounds O.K. to me.

Are the liner notes to your edition in English or Japanese? Someone on Discogs with your edition claims the liner notes say the Victor CDs were made from Max Roach personal master tapes. (link)

I have the previous Victor Japan CD edition from 1986, VDJ-1568. Liner notes are in Japanese, but it does say in English 'Licensed by Max Roach', twice.

Clearly the 1986 CD is not sourced from vinyl. Much nicer sound than the EU/US Candid CDs.

Edited by erwbol

5 hours ago, erwbol said:

Are the liner notes to your edition in English or Japanese? Someone on Discogs with your edition claims the liner notes say the Victor CDs were made from Max Roach personal master tapes. (link)

I have the previous Victor Japan CD edition from 1986, VDJ-1568. Liner notes are in Japanese, but it does say in English 'Licensed by Max Roach', twice.

Clearly the 1986 CD is not sourced from vinyl. Much nicer sound than the EU/US Candid CDs.

Japanese - but the original Nat Hentoff liner note in English is also printed in the package.

The two Japanese LP issues (I have one) and two Japanese CD issues have a different running order than other LP and CD issues, including the original Candid LP issue. According to Discogs, "Although the back cover shows the original tracklisting, track positions have been modified for this reissue, as can be seen on record labels and insert (explanation in Japanese).
This track listing modification is Roach's own intention especially for this Japanese release (written in liner notes)."

Does anyone know whether this different running order was Max Roach's original intention, or whether he decided on it years later.
It's also interesting that the US Columbia issue, which I believe was leased from Max Roach, has the original track running order.
Strange stuff.

• 5 years later...

Thanks for bumping this -- I have the Japanese Victor LP which has a different running order than the original LP. I always assumed the alternate order had something to do with the tape transfer and side lengths, but it would be interesting if that was a revision specifically called for by the artist.