Blindfold Test #5

JSngry

John Couwenberg (AKA couw)!

Mr. Couwenberg made a stirring plea based on his personal circumstances, and that, coupled with the expressed interest in having a non-American provide the material (an interest that I also share, along with that of having tests eventually provided by folks both significantly older and younger than the norm here, to say nothing of other demographics, such as we are aware of them and such that they might provide us with a different "take" on the music), as well as his demonstrated knowledge and fluency with a lot of different types of music, sealed the deal for me.

John, you're on deck. Work that pine tar good!

Edited by JSngry

John, let me be the first to congratulate you, and if Sangrey's reference is a bit obscure, he's speaking of a material used in baseball to aid in getting a grip on the bat. ;)

Meanwhile, may I suggest that in order to minimize postal costs that you solicit three or even five "helpers" here in the States to cover the North American requests (and you to, Marcus!). Previously, the compilers have sent out 15 or 20 on their own to the States, but this might be quite expensive for you, so if you can take care of the non-US requests, maybe you can get enough helpers in the States to take care of the rest, and not have one or two helpers covering 15 discs each.

Just a thought.

Could it be one of you intrduced the idea of having a poll about who does the next BT just now to keep us Europeans from passing the ball around here? :g

I guess they would not care if we did all the work, the main problem is - if we were producing all these discs of italian, french, german, austrian, swiss, polish, czechoslovak, finnish, danish or whatever jazz, they would never identify a single tune...

ubu :D

Could it be one of you intrduced the idea of having a poll about who does the next BT just now to keep us Europeans from passing the ball around here?  :g

I guess they would not care if we did all the work, the main problem is - if we were producing all these discs of italian, french, german, austrian, swiss, polish, czechoslovak, finnish, danish or whatever jazz, they would never identify a single tune...

And British! Don't forget British!

We're Europeans too...though at times I know it's hard to believe!

Better watch this "they" stuff. I'm still compiling mine...

Don't make me go local! :g:g:g:g:g

"HAPPY-GO-LUCKY-LOCAL", Jim...

You know, Jim, we're all texans... :P

Bev, no harm intended, I was typing really fast, and the list is complete in no way. Let me humbly assure you I meant the British to be part of "or whatever".... :g

ubu B)

Sorry for the late response, my wife had her birthday and we went on a small trip over the weekend. Jim sent me a mail in the meantime that he'd be breaking the big news here. Thanks for the positive response guys!

The personal circumstances Jim alludes to are connected to my grant money having dried up. So I thought if I don't do this NOW, who knows WHEN I will be able to. Although I am working on getting another grant, these things are almost a lottery and it's hard to look very far ahead. Anyhow, now I have a bit more time (I work a lot at home now and can listen during that) and I have in fact already made my compilation.

I have been working with a theme, more to constrain myself than to provide you with any clues. :P I can assure you that I have not focused on way weird & obscure stuff, but I do hope to put some music many of you may actually have into a new light.

I have succeeded in finding out how the German postal system works and have recently sent a single CDr to Switzerland for one measley euro. Costs for sending disks across the ocean would amount to 1.50EUR, I was assured. So it looks like I can keep the costs down. Still, in light of my current monetary situation I would very much appreciate some modest help from across the waters. It would hurt much less if the spending were spread over time and I will certainly be willing to help others out as a return favour by sending disks out within Europe.

Edited by couw

Could it be one of you intrduced the idea of having a poll about who does the next BT just now to keep us Europeans from passing the ball around here?  :g

This is a bad thing? Think of what an education service you'd be providing! Hey, you guys want more European jazz discussion around here? Enlighten us!! :) (Man, am I greedy for new tunes, or what? :g )

This is a bad thing? Think of what an education service you'd be providing! Hey, you guys want more European jazz discussion around here? Enlighten us!! :) (Man, am I greedy for new tunes, or what? :g )

Moose, I've signed up for BT #17, and as it's clear I will escape the obvious I might really go that way, and include almost all unknown swiss stuff - unless people don't want me to... I look at it as a chance to spread some real good music, also dig in my vaults of broadcast recordings, throwing in some never commercially available stuff, live recordings etc.

I just have not made up my mind yet if it's going to be two or three discs :D

Edit: Moose and all others interested: I will not do this just to make sure no one recognizes any tune, but rather, to let you hear some good stuff, mainstream to totally abstract, and to hear what connections you make, what you think about the music, and how you like it. There's a long time, however, till my BT arrives...

ubu

Edited by king ubu

Moose, I've signed up for BT #17, and as it's clear I will escape the obvious I might really go that way, and include almost all unknown swiss stuff - unless people don't want me to... I look at it as a chance to spread some real good music, also dig in my vaults of broadcast recordings, throwing in some never commercially available stuff, live recordings etc.

I just have not made up my mind yet if it's going to be two or three discs :D

Edit: Moose and all others interested: I will not do this just to make sure no one recognizes any tune, but rather, to let you hear some good stuff, mainstream to totally abstract, and to hear what connections you make, what you think about the music, and how you like it. There's a long time, however, till my BT arrives...

ubu

Just make it all HAT material. That would be an excellent set!

Dan, I never knew that was his brother, don't have any of his discs.

You might find a lot you like on TCB! Check out their site: http://www.tcb.ch. Go to the Red Spine series in the catalogue section.

There are records by Louis Hayes, Buster Williams, and Steve Nelson, among others. While I don't have many of them, I think the "agb" series is a good one!

ubu

Thanks for the link, ubu, I hadn't been aware that the second David Brooks CD is with the Doctor, Lonnie Smith! Gotta grab that one! I'll have to go through the list more carefully-I have alot of that "red" series but I bet there're more I'd want.

If I recall correctly, David was older than Tina and I think as a result he tends a bit more toward the swing side of things; a big toned kind of tenor for sure. The fact that he's still alive has made me wonder if he's a source of greater info on his brother's life-someone ought to chat with the man!