any Sade fans here?

CJ Shearn

I am a fan, great voice and some really good songs with a jazzy vibe. Saw her live at a small club in Tokyo in early 1985 just as 'Diamond Life' was becoming a big hit. Stood just a few feet away from her and thought she was gorgeous. I remember she walked back to her hotel after the show with one of the band, a friend and I followed with the intention of inviting her for a drink but never quite worked up the courage.

yeah I look forward to when her new album hits. She seems to be fairly personable. Yeah, the jazz chords and things is what attracts me to her thing. I kind of ignored it in the 80's and 90's, it was just kind of there. But she has a great band, they've been together over 20 years, a rare thing.

she uses real drummers, Paul Cooke is an ass about his time in the band. I wonder what attracts a lot of us jazzheads to the music. I wonder if Sade could swing on a standard, probably not though. BTW GA Russell, would yourecommend the "Lovers Live" CD or DVD? I've seen clips on YT and I love the Chinese dress she wears on that, but is the CD pretty much the same as the DVD?

Edited by CJ Shearn

Remember seeing her band on the TV around 1984 as a total unknown - before her big hits charted. My opinion at the time and of a friend who also saw the show was that she was quite a talent. It's also the first act I remember seeing around that time that (other than 'Pigbag' and 'Rip, Rig and Panic') that was obviously jazz influenced and a bell-wether of a new trend for the 80s.

Big fan. One of the sexiest women in the world. I really like her lyrics. Positive, supportive, about the good kind of love.

My girlfriend and I listen to her a lot. I think if something ever went wrong with this relationship, I might not be able to listen to Sade for a long long time.

yeah, rhythmically her songs are cool with the percussion, uses of funk and jazz influenced basslines and harmony. I agree that production wise the 5 or 6 songs from "Love Deluxe" hold up better, and though generally I'm not a fan of vocalists, I do listen to the lyrics in her songs, "Pearls" is some heavy stuff. A friend of mine was saying how he prefers Janet Jackson's blatantly sexual lyrics on tunes like "Warmth" over Sade, but for me there's no contest.

Forced exposure to her hits when I worked at a soft adult-contemporary radio station plus the insidiousness of the lyrical hooks made her music more or less aggravating to me. Even now hearing her name has put "Smooth Operator" on autoplay in my brain, and I have got to get it out of there. YMMV, of course.

She's awful purty though. :wub: (Your mileage may vary on that but it probably shouldn't.)

I was a guest at a wedding recently and the disc jockey was playing some Sade. I hadn't heard her in years and I have to say I found myself enjoying the whole package - voice and groove. In passing - the dj also played a very hip version of Wayne Shorter's Speak No Evil by Jimmy Bosch. Very cool.

Lovers Rock was one of the albums we played at home during my wifes labor.

Others

iron and Wine Endless Numbered Days

Bonnie Prince Billy Master and Everything

Nick Drake Fruit Tree

Gillian Welch Revival

Lovers Rock came out around the time we were married and is intrinsically tied to that wonderful time in our life.