BN collectors: 45s: hard to find?

I've got three - Lou Donaldson, Sonny Red & Freddie Roach.

A little off-topic, but I do have a complete collection of High Water 45s. This was a blues label started by David Evans in the late 70s. They issued 20 or so 45s in picture sleeves with info about the artists on back. Included were folks like R.L. Burnside, Junior Kimbrough, and Jessie Mae Hemphill, all when they were pretty much unknown outside of Mississippi.

I've gotten three without trying too hard:

45-1708 Bennie Green - Soul Stirrin'

45-1868 Lou Donaldson - Funky Mama (Pts. 1 and 2)

45-1918 Lee Morgan - The Rumproller (Pts. 1 and 2)

They came from a defunkt jukebox operator and were $2 each.

If you're a serious collector, you should seek out anyone unloading jukebox singles from the 60's.

maybe its just timing. most of mine i aquired at .50 a pop at a garage sale (a garage sale of a retired record store owner-in-town)....incl. the message from kenya, from that 1st series...

...but hank mobley funk in deep freeze 45 single??!? omfg!

if that is somewhere in this universe, i want it brought to me

I have four:

Horace Silver's Filthy McNasty (45-1817),

Ike Quebec, Shu Shu/Liebestraum (45-1875).

Both of these have a solid blue label with a 43 W.61st Street Address.

Art Blakey's Moanin (45-1735),

Cannonball Adderley, Somthin' Else (45-1738).

The latter two have blue and white labels, with A Division of Liberty Records on the label.

Many of the Blue Note (and Riverside) 45s went straight to jukebox jobbers -- guys who stocked the jukes in bars and pool rooms. This would've been most prevalent from the late 50's thru the 60's.

As far as over-the-counter retail sales, you'd have to visit 'Soul Shacks' in black neighborhoods.

in my exp they are many times really cheap, eg. MUCH cheaper than their album counterpart would ever be......i havent ever bought one on ebay, just real life....

correct dan gould....i have a boatload of jimmy n horace and in my experience i see them around the most as well

but id like to meet one collector of the whole series, or where some of these are...beacuse they are rarer than TRUE BLUE on lp...i swear to god i want to know where the funk in deep freeze 45s are

• 1 month later...

I just looked through and only found four

JOS - Back at the chicken shack pts 1 & 2 (1877)

Freddie Roach - I know/Googa mooga (1890)

These have the half/half blue/white labels

Sonny Red - Bluesville/Stay as sweet as you are (1761)

Horace Parlan - C jam blues/Up in Cynthia's room (1770)

These two have the solid dark blue labels.

Missing - probably misfiled and I didn't see them as I was looking through

Lou Donaldson - Blues walk/Masquerade is over

JOS - Can heat/When my dreamboat comes home

I used to have quite a few BN 45s. In the early 60s, BN LPs were hellishly expensive (nearly twice the price of a UK manufactured LP) over here - so I bought 45s, which weren't so much more than UK 45s. But generally, as I got LPs, I ditched the 45s.

I read somewhere - somewhere here, I think - that BN usually pressed about 3,000 45s and 2,000 usually went into juke boxes.

MG

picked up BN 45-1843 today, six bucks-- whats up w/ #3: do you think BN 45-1844 was manufactured, or was it just "slotted for a spot in the catelgoue" etc

BN 45-1842 Fred Jackson - Dippin' In The Bag c/w Hootin' 'N Tootin'

Fred Jackson (ts) Earl Van Dyke (org) Willie Jones (g) Wilbert Hogan (d) Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, February 5, 1962tk.4 Dippin' In The Bag tk.22 Hootin' 'N Tootin'

BN 45-1843 Fred Jackson - Preach Brother c/w Easin' On Down

Fred Jackson (ts) Earl Van Dyke (org) Willie Jones (g) Wilbert Hogan (d): same session Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, February 5, 1962tk.12 Easin' On Down tk.20 Preach Brother

BN 45-1844 Fred Jackson - Southern Exposure, Pt. 1&2 (not released)

Fred Jackson (ts) Earl Van Dyke (org) Willie Jones (g) Wilbert Hogan (d): same session Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, February 5, 1962tk.13 Southern Exposure