Edward Vesala

Guy Berger

After seeing the crown in Penguin for "Lumi", I was eyeing this album for a long time. Finally I picked up a copy from amazon marketplace and finally listened to it today. Fascinating music! Not sure if I like it or love it after 3 listens, but it's definitely not boring. Reminds me a little of Muhal Richard Abrams (later stuff), less in terms of style but more in terms of the iconoclastic, post-free approach to a large ensemble.

I think the only other album I have with him is Garbarek's "Tryptikon".

Anybody a fan?

Guy

Yeah, Triptykon is a cool record.

He also cut some heavy sides with Juhani Aaltonen for Blue Master and a solo LP that are all very scarce and deserving of reissue. Nan Madol on Japo is real nice, as is another weird one-off Norwegian psychedelic fusion date called "Ode to Marilyn." Excellent player and sorely overlooked, but the reissue market being what it is... probably not surprising.

A record shop 5 minutes from where I'm sitting still has copies of this disc. It has a CD-ROM component and some live tracks. If anyone's interested (and has Paypal), PM me and we can work something out.

Edward Vesala – Sound And Fury: Live no label (Taiwan) [CD]

1. (menu) 0:27

2. (video) 16:21

3. Fulflandia 3:22

4. Awakening 5:57

5. Nan Madol 8:14

6. Infinite Express 9:35

(Note: This promotional CD was produced in 1997 to support a Vesala tour of the Far East, and was packaged with Vesala's regular CDs as a bonus item. Tracks 1 & 2 are video. Special thanks to Tom Smith for this information.)

all music composed by Vesala

track 3 recorded 1995, Turku, Finland; track 4 recorded 1984, Pori, Finland;

tracks 5, 6 recorded 1993 Manchester, UK

on track 3, Sound And Fury (personnel details not given, probably similar to tracks 5, 6)

on track 4, Edward Vesala, drums solo

on tracks 5, 6: Matti Riikonen, trumpet; Jorma Tapio, alto saxophone, bass clarinet, flute; Pepa Päivinen, Jouni Kannisto, saxophones, flute; Jimi Sumen, guitar; Iro Haarla, keyboards, harp; Edward Vesala, drums

• 2 years later...

In my experience Vesala is one of those performers who really benefits from listening to several of his recordings; each new one you listen to illuminates the previous ones. True of all performers, I know, but I found my first Vesala - OTTDOJ - a hard nut to crack until I listened to some other things.

Has wife, Iro Haarla, is worth exploring to - currently recording for ECM.

I'm surprised this reissue didn't receive more fanfare when it came out last year. Only just learnt of the CD's existence, though I've had the LP for some time and it's a great, fist-pumping jam.

absoutely. much fanfare in this household.

Vesala can do little wrong in my book. A truly great drummer and bandleader. it should be noted that much of the later ECM material had a major input from Iro Haala that has only relatively recently been recognised. Sound and Fury - one of the best live bands I've heard, for sure. i can still hear them nearly twenty years on

Edited by mjazzg

• 3 years later...

bumping this thread to see if anyone's familiar with Vesala's Kullervo (I see B. Clugston has/had it 6 years ago)?

I've always been put off by the mention of recitation. Wondering what proportion instrumental to vocal are we talking here? How recognisable as a Sound & Fury album is it?

(all prompted by seeing Jone Takamaki play last night - wonderful player)

I used to own it and got rid of it as I found the (quite prominent) Finnish recitation quite off putting. I made a nice CD if it I can refer to whenever I may but did not see myself playing this much if at all.

If you are talking obscure 80s Vesala albums I would check out "Mau Mau" or "neitsymaka" first.

Who did Takamaki play with last night? Does he have any recent or forthcoming releases?

I'm envious!

bumping this thread to see if anyone's familiar with Vesala's Kullervo (I see B. Clugston has/had it 6 years ago)?

I've always been put off by the mention of recitation. Wondering what proportion instrumental to vocal are we talking here? How recognisable as a Sound & Fury album is it?

It is heavy on recitation, but with a recognizable Sound & Fury sound. There are some very short instrumental breaks, but mostly you are getting a reading from the Kalevala in Finnish with some musical accompaniment. I really like it, but I must admit I don't spin it that often.

I used to own it and got rid of it as I found the (quite prominent) Finnish recitation quite off putting. I made a nice CD if it I can refer to whenever I may but did not see myself playing this much if at all.

If you are talking obscure 80s Vesala albums I would check out "Mau Mau" or "neitsymaka" first.

Who did Takamaki play with last night? Does he have any recent or forthcoming releases?

I'm envious!

Thanks for the thoughts on the Vesala

He played a solo set followed by a duo with improvising guitarist Lauri Hyvarinen. Pretty astonishing evening of music that seemed little rooted in jazz but more in some long past folk music. Takamaki played a bewildering array of instruments - wooden flutes, Shakuhachi, alto, tenor, soprano and what looked like homemade options (memories of his Krakatau instrumentation). Some fairly astonishing wordless singing and vocalising in the mix too. I came away thinking his playing was all about the sound of breath on different materials - his solo set started with wood progressing through the sax family to the tenor before returning to wood and other little instruments, ending with voice and the sound of percussion instrument scraped across the mic guard.

No mention, nor sign of any new recordings. All very self-effacing.

It is heavy on recitation, but with a recognizable Sound & Fury sound. There are some very short instrumental breaks, but mostly you are getting a reading from the Kalevala in Finnish with some musical accompaniment. I really like it, but I must admit I don't spin it that often.

Thank you. I think that balance may have swung me away from it . My interest in Finnish poetry being sadly and unjustifiably small