RLP 2517 Don Elliott/Rusty Dedrick - Six Valves

mikeweil

Has this Riverside 10 incher ever been reissued on CD, or has anybody heard it and can tell how it is?

Thanks ...

RLP 2517 Don Elliott/Rusty Dedrick - Six Valves

Rusty Dedrick (tp -1,3/5) Don Elliott (tp -1/3,5) Dick Hyman (p) Mundell Lowe (g) Eddie Safranski (b) Don Lamond (d)

NYC, March 16 & 17, 1955

1. Dominick Seventh

2. When Your Lover Has Gone

3. Gargantuan Chant

4. It's Easy To Remember

5. Vampire Till Ready

4121BB83MML._SS500_.jpg

amazon.com has samples.

I was inspired to look into this because of the splendid work of Hyman and Lowe on this one (Keepnews mentions the Elliott date in his notes):

41WB49M1CTL._SS500_.jpg

...but these trumpet duets are not as much to my liking, I think. Is that the same Don Elliott playing trumpet as well as mallets (e.g. with George Shearing)?

Edited by mikeweil

you'se talkin' to me, Sir?

I certainly am a shopaholic as far as books and CDs are concerned... I happily confess! :)

Gave the disc a first spin last night, not sure about it yet, it's not earth shaking for sure, and it's certainly not bad either... probably just a minor thing, a blow-out by two footnotes in jazz history or some such (not to put Elliott down, I have several discs where he appears... Dedrick on the other hand I hadn't even heard the name before...)

You mean they worked performing musical "scores" for commercials?

Sorry to seem so idiot here, but reading "ad biz" I naturally tought - being (still pretty) young - that they worked as graphic designers or texters or whatever... I've not known the days when they used to write new music for tv or radio commercials...

That's exactly what he means. It used to be a huge source of income for tons of musicians and recording studios. Don't know when this area collapsed, but in the '80s I still had friends feeding their families this way.

I want to add I bought this in high school for about $.79 (circa 1961) and it struck me as professional and no more.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Yes, doing commercial jingles. My parents were group singers in New York and did this sort of work regularly all through the 50s and early 60s. Mundell Lowe, Eddie Safranski and Dick Hyman were among the regular musicians who played on these. They used to talk about Don Elliott simply as a colleague long before I'd ever encountered his name on a jazz LP. He was definitely involved - I think he was a composer and/or arranger for commercial jingle sessions, but my parents are no longer of this realm so I can't confirm.

By the mid-60s, other towns like LA, Nashville, and Dallas became involved in commercial jingles, plus the styles had changed with the arrival of the Beatles and youth culture, so there was less of this sort of work for them in New York by then. But it still existed to some degree.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

That's very interesting! I had no idea that there was even a possibility to make a living out of that... studio work of all kinds, yes, but that commercials were such a big field, I had no clue!

Well, this only goes to show to what degree jazz as a performing art did NOT enable even seasoned jazzmen to make a living in those days.

Besides, some bios have it that even Rod Stewart got his start this way in the 60s in the UK.

So if jingles might serve as a stepping stone to eventually propel you into stardom, they can just as well be useful if - regardless of your previous artistic credentials - you decide being a studio hack holds more financial calculability for you than those one-nighters.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

So if jingles might serve as a stepping stone to eventually propel you into stardom, they can just as well be useful if - regardless of your previous artistic credentials - you decide being a studio hack holds more financial calculability for you than those one-nighters.

Would that today's hacks who do music for commercials on Protools make music as artful as the hacks from the 50s and 60s.

That's very interesting! I had no idea that there was even a possibility to make a living out of that... studio work of all kinds, yes, but that commercials were such a big field, I had no clue!

Hi Ubu ..

I used to make my (very good) living in the "ad biz" in the early 1960's (shades of the tv show "Mad Men")... Jingles were a major musical art form for a long period in the history of commercial radio ... for an interesting perspective see this:

http://www.amazon.com/Killed-Jingle-Unique...0708&sr=1-4

BTW, I am returning to Cape Town, to live there permanently sometime in the next two years

Garth.

Chicago was a big commercial jingle town up though the '80s. Jazz musicians with top-drawer reading skills were in high demand because they had the flexibility and inventiveness to make effective adjustments on the fly in fluid situations. It wasn't a commercial, but I think we've mentioned before how when in L.A. they were recording the theme song for the "Barney Miller Show" (a Dave Grusin thing?), and it just wasn't working, bassist Chuck Berghofer grasped what was missing and came up on the spot with the earthy solo-bass passage that made it happen.

Hi Ubu ..

I used to make my (very good) living in the "ad biz" in the early 1960's (shades of the tv show "Mad Men")... Jingles were a major musical art form for a long period in the history of commercial radio ... for an interesting perspective see this:

http://www.amazon.com/Killed-Jingle-Unique...0708&sr=1-4

BTW, I am returning to Cape Town, to live there permanently sometime in the next two years

Garth.

Good to see you here Garth! Just had to manually enter all my contacts to my new email programme (having just set up a new computer) and thought it's been a long time! Sent you an email!