Charisma! The Music Of Lee Morgan

BFrank

Iridium 12/10-13, Yoshi's (Oakland) 2/5-8

Charisma! The Music Of Lee Morgan- Charles Tolliver, Bennie Maupin, Billy Harper, Geri Allen, Dwayne Burno, Billy Hart

Celebrate the music of trumpet legend Lee Morgan with an all-star ensemble comprised mostly of members of his last working bands plus other special guests Billy Harper: Tenor Sax, Bennie Maupin: Tenor Sax and Bass Clarinet, David Weiss and Charles Tolliver: Trumpet, Geri Allen: Piano, Dwayne Burno: Bass, Billy Hart: Drums

A cornerstone of the Blue Note label roster prior to his tragic demise, Lee Morgan was one of hard bop's greatest trumpeters, and indeed one of the finest of the '60s. An all-around master of his instrument modeled after Clifford Brown, Morgan boasted an effortless, virtuosic technique and a full, supple, muscular tone that was just as powerful in the high register. His playing was always emotionally charged, regardless of the specific mood: cocky and exuberant on up-tempo groovers, blistering on bop-oriented technical showcases, sweet and sensitive on ballads and also found ways to mimic human vocal inflections by stuttering, slurring his articulations, and employing half-valved sound effects. As his original compositions began to take in elements of blues and R&B, he made greater use of space and developed an infectiously funky rhythmic sense. Morgan got his start with the Dizzy Gillespie Big Band but rose to prominence with Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers. In 1964, he recorded The Sidewinder for Blue Note Records. The Morgan-composed title track was a funky, danceable groover that drew from soul-jazz, Latin boogaloo, blues, and R&B in addition to Morgan's trademark hard bop. It was unlike anything else he'd recorded before and became an unlikely hit for the label. It inched onto the lower reaches of the pop charts, and was licensed for use in a high-profile automobile ad campaign. Its success helped push The Sidewinder into the Top 25 of the pop LP charts, and the Top Ten on the R&B listing. Sales were brisk enough to revive the financially struggling Blue Note label, and likely kept it from bankruptcy; it also led to numerous 'Sidewinder'-style grooves popping up on other Blue Note artists' albums. Morgan was asked to write more tunes in the style of The Sidewinder in hopes of a follow-up hit and Morgan obliged but Morgan also formed a working band that was increasingly moving into more modal and free-form music, stretching the boundaries of hard bop. His funkier instincts were still evident as well, shifting gradually from boogaloo to early electrified. This sound is reflected on his last two albums, Live At The Lighthouse and what has become known as the Last Session which featured a tight, energetic, boundary stretching working band with bold new compositions from most of it's members. Unfortunately the development of this group was cut short by Morgan's tragic death in 1972. He was just 33 years old.

For this celebration of Morgan's music, Trumpeter/Arranger David Weiss has put together a group that will feature the two saxophonists who were members of Lee's last groundbreaking working band, Bennie Maupin and Billy Harper and features the music from the repertoire of this great band.

Nice tribute band, wish I could be there.

Would've been nice to see Harold Mabern or maybe Mickey Roker involved. Is Mickey still playing?

Or Jack DeJohnette- he played on the Lighthouse gig, on Speedball.

Yes, Mickey is still playing and living in Philly.

He told me once that he refused to take part in a Lee Morgan tribute a few years back. I don't know why or what his objections were.

• 3 months later...

Starts tonight through Sunday.....

There are some slight personnel changes

Billy Harper- Tenor Sax

Bennie Maupin- Tenor and Soprano Sax and Bass Clarinet

Charles Tolliver- Trumpet

David Weiss- Trumpet

Geri Allen- Piano

Dwayne Burno- Bass (December 10 and 13)

Christian McBride- Bass (December 11 and 12)

Victor Lewis- Drums

As for your suggestions.....

I'd love to have Wayne on anything but that will probably never happen.

I've talked to Mickey Roker several times but never personally sounded him about doing this sort of thing.

I've asked Harold Mabern but he has had conflicts in the past. He has always been very kind and helpful to me. When I was transcribing his tunes from the Lighthouse recordings to play on the last gig we did, he was happy to go over everything with me and was very helpful. Haven't been able to get him on the gig though.

I actually did think of Jack DeJohnette this time around but it was a bit of a pipe dream so I didn't follow up on my thought.

Hope some of you guys can make it out for this. We've done it a few times before and to me, it's always been great.

Edited by david weiss

Nice tribute band, wish I could be there.

Would've been nice to see Harold Mabern or maybe Mickey Roker involved. Is Mickey still playing?

Or Jack DeJohnette- he played on the Lighthouse gig, on Speedball.

i second that, heartily. when i heard Lee in SF around 1970, Harold and Mickey were in the group!! and what a fabulous one it was!

at the both/and? was that a pretty big engagement for lee. what do you remember from your trip. do you remembver if it was on/around the 4th of july that year 1970. did you ever go to any dead shows. i wonder if lee ever went to a dead concert.

also david weiss i thought u were a piano player, do you also play trumpet? pianos your primary instrument though, right? you really wanted to do the tpt for this gig? or didnt want to do the piano?

Billy Harper- Tenor Sax

David Weiss- Trumpet

Geri Allen- Piano

Victor Lewis- Drums

Looking forward to Yoshi's in Feb!

Billy Harper- Tenor Sax

David Weiss- Trumpet

Geri Allen- Piano

Victor Lewis- Drums

Looking forward to Yoshi's in Feb!

if i remember correctly, Dwayne will be on bass, Billy Hart on drums and Eddie Henderson on trumpet.

I don't even know what to say about this show. It was incredible. Hearing Capra Black, composed by Billy Harper, with Billy Harper playing lead, live? Bennie Maupin playing a screaming solo on soprano on Sidewinder? Croquet Ballet, also one I've never heard live, with 2x solos by Billy, David Weiss, Charles Tolliver, and Bennie Maupin...Absolutions (by Jymie Merritt) extending out for over 20 minutes, room for everyone to blow, Christian McBride dead on with the time, heavy beat and alll over the place at the same time with crazy rhythm changes and a solo that could have out pizzicattoed Itzhak Perelman...

David, you outdid yourself on this one. Terrific band, extraordinary music, wonderful crowds for both sets, and a completely goddamn dance-in-my-chair rollicking good time.

Chuck, I'm sorry your Mazda couldn't make it. :( For others: they're playing two sets tomorrow in NYC. If you live in or near the city, YOU OWE IT TO YOURSELF to get to 51st and Broadway and HEAR THIS BAND.

Damn. Just, damn.

I can't remember the last time I heard live "jazz" (in quotes only because, these days, I hesitate to categorize, and let's face it, as Gil Scott-Heron said, "what is jazz?") that knocked me over like this. Vonski in Chicago--that was probably it. That was, and this is, the real deal.

Sorry to gush, but as someone who wasn't (and couldn't have been) at the Lighthouse...phukking hell. A revelation along the lines of Miles' Olympia concert.

You folks in San Fran are in for a treat.

Enjoy.

Edited by Peter Johnson

I don't even know what to say about this show. It was incredible. Hearing Capra Black, composed by Billy Harper, with Billy Harper playing lead, live? Bennie Maupin playing a screaming solo on soprano on Sidewinder? Croquet Ballet, also one I've never heard live, with 2x solos by Billy, David Weiss, Charles Tolliver, and Bennie Maupin...Absolutions (by Jymie Merritt) extending out for over 20 minutes, room for everyone to blow, Christian McBride dead on with the time, heavy beat and alll over the place at the same time with crazy rhythm changes and a solo that could have out pizzicattoed Itzhak Perelman...

David, you outdid yourself on this one. Terrific band, extraordinary music, wonderful crowds for both sets, and a completely goddamn dance-in-my-chair rollicking good time.

Chuck, I'm sorry your Mazda couldn't make it. sad.gif For others: they're playing two sets tomorrow in NYC. If you live in or near the city, YOU OWE IT TO YOURSELF to get to 51st and Broadway and HEAR THIS BAND.

Damn. Just, damn.

I can't remember the last time I heard live "jazz" (in quotes only because, these days, I hesitate to categorize, and let's face it, as Gil Scott-Heron said, "what is jazz?") that knocked me over like this. Vonski in Chicago--that was probably it. That was, and this is, the real deal.

Sorry to gush, but as someone who wasn't (and couldn't have been) at the Lighthouse...phukking hell. A revelation along the lines of Miles' Olympia concert.

You folks in San Fran are in for a treat.

Enjoy.

Peter, thanks for the kind words and for actually coming out.

This was a special one for me as well, one of the best things I've ever been involved in.

I'm really looking forward to Yoshi's and Kuumbwa now....

Peter, thanks for the kind words and for actually coming out.

This was a special one for me as well, one of the best things I've ever been involved in.

I'm really looking forward to Yoshi's and Kuumbwa now....

Me, too!

Is it going to be the same lineup, David?

It's the band that has always been advertised by Yoshi's

Billy Harper, Bennie Maupin, Eddie Henderson, Geri Allen, Dwayne Burno and Billy Hart.

Hope you can make it.

Edited by david weiss