classical guitar

7/4

David, you will probably enjoy Duo Sonare CD called "Duo Sonare plays Zappa, Debussy, Albeniz, Piazzolla" or something like this. It is a classical guitar duo, and they play excellent arrangements for two guitars. Zappa and Debussy pieces are really well done. The CD is long OOP, I got my copy from one of the musicians directly.

I probably would! I'll look for it.

thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have my own copy now. Transcriptions with a guitar duo playing the harpsichord part. Quite beautiful.

Piccinini_Bach.jpg

Marina Piccinini & the Brasil Guitar Duo - Bach Flute Sonatas.

When I'm in town, I get to drive my own car and this has been in rotation all week. I'm really enjoying this one, the guitars could be louder...but I got over that a while ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Two that I bought years ago for Carter and Babbitt, then never really listened to rest of them. More thoughts later as I dig into them.

StarobinNewMusicWithGuitar.jpgNewMusicwithGuitarVol5.jpg

David Starobin - New Music with Guitar, 1, 2 & 3.

New Music with Guitar 5

These look quite interesting. Current thoughts on them? I wonder if any of Feldman's piano music might be transcribed for guitar? I would think the guitar and the recording method would have to be carefully worked out to get the right attack and decay.

I just listened to them a few weeks ago. I think they're great examples of late 20th century music, not much minimalism here.*

Feldman transcribed for guitar would be great, I'd like to hear it. It might need more than one guitar!

There was a Feldman piece for guitar discovered a few years ago. It's been recorded, but never released. I've never heard it.

* I bought 'em for the Elliott Carter and Milton Babbitt years ago.

Edited by 7/4

Another thought on transcribing Feldman's piano pieces for guitar: some of the notes might be out of range, too low. Maybe a 10 string guitar would be the solution?

Check this out, very interesting!

Feldman Guitar Story

I rather thought this would have to be an electric guitar, to achieve some of the modulation needed.

As an aside, note someone describes Feldman as "the super chill composer" happy.gif

Another thought on transcribing Feldman's piano pieces for guitar: some of the notes might be out of range, too low. Maybe a 10 string guitar would be the solution?

Check this out, very interesting!

Feldman Guitar Story

I rather thought this would have to be an electric guitar, to achieve some of the modulation needed.

I think it depends on what he was looking for?

As an aside, note someone describes Feldman as "the super chill composer" happy.gif

He sure was!

I like it, but maybe too hectic for Feldman.

Like what?

I would love to see what Keith Rowe could do with a Feldman piece:

Does he play classical guitar or other peoples music?

On your first question, I'm not sure what you are asking about. My point was that Coates' is extending the Feldman "style" (not quite the right word) into the guitar rep, but taking a less minimalist approach. There are moments that suggest Feldman-influence, but they are limited. No problem with that. She is entitled to her own manner.

On the second question, I don't see it makes a difference, although he does both. It might take someone like Rowe, not a classical guitarist per se, but who draws on many disciplines, to get Feldman transcribed to guitar. So far I'm not seeing the Segovia-centric crowd making the effort. I would just like to see what Rowe would do with a MF piece.

I shared the Gloria Coates piece because it's a classical guitar thread. I didn't have Morty in mind when I did it.

Sorry, I guess I was at cross-purposes; have had Feldman on the brain recently. Anyway, quite coincidentally, a friend sent me a link to a 1990 interview of Rowe for purposes quite unrelated to this discussion. As it turns out, Rowe was close to Cornelius Cardew. Rowe also seems to have some acquaintance with Christian Wolff and Feldman. Very interesting bit of musical history. Worth perusing if you have time:

Rowe Interview

I shared the Gloria Coates piece because it's a classical guitar thread. I didn't have Morty in mind when I did it.

Sorry, I guess I was at cross-purposes; have had Feldman on the brain recently. Anyway, quite coincidentally, a friend sent me a link to a 1990 interview of Rowe for purposes quite unrelated to this discussion. As it turns out, Rowe was close to Cornelius Cardew. Rowe also seems to have some acquaintance with Christian Wolff and Feldman. Very interesting bit of musical history. Worth perusing if you have time:

Rowe Interview

Thanks, I'll take a look at it later.

• 1 month later...

villa-lobos-solo-guitar.jpg

Villa-lobos - Complete Solo Guitar Music

Fabio Zanon, gtr

I know this is part of the classical guitar cannon, but I'm learning and excited about checking it all out. I was looking for his string quartets, but thought I should check this out.

edit: and I'm really enjoying it a lot.

Edited by 7/4

• 3 weeks later...

newcover.jpg

Found a copy of this:

Julian Bream - My Favorite Albums

Original Jacket Collection

Here are the ten albums represented in this set:

• 1. The Art of Julian Bream
  • 2. J.S Bach: Lute Suites Nos. 1 & 2
  • 3. Romantic Guitar
  • 4. The Woods So Wild
  • 5. Julian Bream and Friends
  • 6. 20th Century Guitar
  • 7. Rodrigo, Vivaldi & Britten
  • 8. Villa-Lobos: The 12 Etudes for Guitar & Suite Populaire Brésilienne
  • 9. Julian Bream & John Williams `Live'
  • 10. Julian Bream plays Granados & Albeniz - The Poetic Nationalists

Edited by 7/4

French-Baroque-Lute-Suites---Michael-Schaffer.jpg

Michael Schäffer - French Baroque Lute Suites

1. Du Fault (died before 1682): Suite in G minor.

2. Jacques Gallot (died circa 1690): Suite in D minor.

3. Esaias Reusner (junior) (1636 - 1679): Suite in A minor.

4. Johann Gottfried Conradi (died 1699): Suite in A major.

Interesting, but not as crazy about this as Bach or Dowland.

No one else around here shares my current enthusiasm for this stuff, but maybe later they will. :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Pepe Romero btw Los Romeros

Bought this as new release in the late seventies

http://www.peperomero.com/shop/images/discography/large/Front_Telemann-Bach-D.Scarlatti-Loeillet-Dowland.jpg

Unfortunately not reissued as CD - still there are CD`s availble from that era mainly with spanish or italian Baroque Music (esp the recordings with Neville Marrnier & the Academy St. Martin-in-the-Fields are worth to be obtained !!)