Third and Final Coltrane Prestige Box

JETman

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is great news!!!

I love the first two boxes, never got the 16CD set either... too bad I just recently bought the four Garland discs (at least one of them has a trio cut or two, Dig It, I think, that one is hence good to have - or are those duplicate cuts available on other Garland trio discs on Prestige?)

As for what will be in the box, I guess it starts out with the 1956 "Mating Call" album with Tadd Dameron, then it should include the Nov and Dec 1957 dates w/Garland, the session with Elmo Hope, the parts with Coltrane originally on Gene Ammons' "The Big Sound" and "Groove Blues", the album with Mal Waldron (Mal-2 it was, I think?). That should about fill five discs, the Garland material probably taking up almost half of it.

Thanks for the link but the blurb doesn't give all that much info, ie like they did here for "Interplay", what are the specific albums contained other than the Garland and the Dameron, for people like me too lazy to look them up. :tophat: :tophat: :tophat:

"Mal-2" by Mal Waldron

"Informal Jazz" by Elmo Hope (in yurp part of the not-quite-twofer "All Star Sessions")

the Ammons titles I mentioned above

and one by Ray Draper, which I forgot (two tracks of that one were previously available as bonus tracks on another "The Believer", which is on the "Fearless Leader")

Thanks for the link but the blurb doesn't give all that much info, ie like they did here for "Interplay", what are the specific albums contained other than the Garland and the Dameron, for people like me too lazy to look them up. :tophat: :tophat: :tophat:

"Mal-2" by Mal Waldron

"Informal Jazz" by Elmo Hope (in yurp part of the not-quite-twofer "All Star Sessions")

the Ammons titles I mentioned above

and one by Ray Draper, which I forgot (two tracks of that one were previously available as bonus tracks on another "The Believer", which is on the "Fearless Leader")

Thanks for that, but it looks like I'll pass on this one for the same reason I passed on "Interplay", I have most of it already on single discs. I have "Fearless Leader" though and it is a really well put together set and I presume that "Interplay" and "Side-Steps" are/will be of a similar high quality.

I have all but the Draper and Waldron (and as stated above only just got the Garland's).

The Ammons discs you'll have to keep anyway (same with "Cattin'" and "The Cats" for the second box - not including the trio tracks is a bit of a goof in my humble opinion) as they contain quite some music without Coltrane.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of all these Fantasy boxes. The two Coltranes are great, so is the Miles Quintet, so are the small cube boxes they did in their final years (Monk Prestige, Sonny Stitt, MJQ, the Bill Evans Vanguard one I just got...)