Third and Final Coltrane Prestige Box

JETman

So what's the bottom line on the sound of these newer Coltrane Prestige boxes compared to the old 16-disc box? Anyone do any A-B comparisons? I'm generally a big fan of late-'80s/early-90's Fantasy transfers/mastering, and I'd be curious to know if--and in what way(s)--the sound of these newer boxes has been noticeably improved.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ron,

Radically improved? No. They're improved though I believe. A bit more open, less congested sounding. Neither are too bright. You can hold steady with the big box if you have it, you're not missing out on a trememdous new remastering. Though I DO like the way these sets are compiled thematically, makes sense and makes good listening.

Ron,

Radically improved? No. They're improved though I believe. A bit more open, less congested sounding. Neither are too bright. You can hold steady with the big box if you have it, you're not missing out on a trememdous new remastering. Though I DO like the way these sets are compiled thematically, makes sense and makes good listening.

What Lon said! If you already have the old box, there really isn't a reason to upgrade. If you're like me, though, and don't have any Coltrane Prestige (or "didn't," before these boxes came out), this is definitely the way to go.

Ron,

What Lon said! If you already have the old box, there really isn't a reason to upgrade. If you're like me, though, and don't have any Coltrane Prestige (or "didn't," before these boxes came out), this is definitely the way to go.

I agree with everything above, and I'd like to add that the liner notes are worthwhile too. Plus the original album covers are reprinted in the booklet.

I got my delivery from Best Buy today, and it was indeed the new Box Set. Great deal, and somehow the price still hasn't been corrected at BB.com.

Got mine in the mail today from Best Buy as well! What a great deal.

I had purchased a brand new copy of the "Fearless Leader" set off of an Amazon seller for under 20 bucks and I've had "Interplay" for a while. Ultimately, I got all three sets for less than the retail price of one of them!

:excited:

Edited by whiskeycat