Massive Fantasy Sale On Oldies.com

street singer

Just wondering...

What do you all think the chances are of Concord having another blowout sale similar to the one they offered in the summer of '06? The current sale (Buy 9, Get 1 Free) ends today - not sure if the discount prices they've been offering will end today along with it.

I have my cart full of Yusef and Phineas titles... Wanting to pull the trigger, but... Argh.

So - what do you guys think? Any chance of another massive purging of the Concord warehouse?

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently, this is as low as they're gonna go from now on (don't forget the discount codes--CMG3 and CMG4?--that give you an additional 10% off). I think they learned their lesson after the big '06 Blowout, in which they basically gave away (at 3 bucks a pop) brand-new OOP CDs that were going for ridiculous prices on Amazon Marketplace, etc. This time, they even priced the Limited Edition OJCs a bit higher than regular--albeit some already OOP--OJCs.

Still, with the sale prices, plus the additional 10% off, plus the buy-9-get-1-free, plus the free shipping for orders of $50 or more, it works out to be a decent deal (around $8 give-or-take for regular OJCs), and a chance to pick up some OOP OJCs for reasonable prices.

Edited by Ron S

Yep! Just put in my third order in this sale!

Bunk Johnson - & his superior jazz band

Cannonball Adderley - Cannonball Adderley quintet PLUS

Nat Adderley – Naturally

Ray Bryant – All blues

Budd Johnson – Let’s swing

Jimmy Witherspoon – Baby baby baby

Eddie Lockjaw Davis – Trane whistle

Al Grey/Edison/Jaws – JATP 1983

Gene Ammons – Angel eyes

Blue Mitchell – Blue’s moods

The last 2 are upgrades from LPs, but I don't have any of the others.

MG

I know some other members had problems with recent orders from J&R Music (and apparently problems in the past) but I ordered 16 CDs - 2 of which after I submitted the order I realized showed up as out-of-stock. A few days later I received 15 of the original 16. All at $4.99 a pop - including some Limited Edition OJCs.

So while Concord may not have another blow-out sale like the Summer '06 sale (IIRC that was in anticipation of the warehouse move) we will probably see others like J&R have some nice deals from time to time.

I don't expect Concord to ever again go as low as they did with the original Blow Out.

I get the impression they've been doing quite a bit of business in the current sale. Figure they'll do more sales around that level, perhaps a bit lower to clear out odds and ends.

I've had nothing but good experiences with J & R, btw. But I live in NY State and get charged sales tax on their orders, which made Concord a good alternative to their standard $6.99 sale (I missed the $4.99 sale for some reason :( ).

Minor sale: 15$ off selected titles.

I had a hunch it was 15%, not 15$!

I can recommend a few:

Miles Davis Plays for Lovers

Bill Evans Plays for Lovers (listened to it just yesterday)

Dianne Reeves - Good Night and Good Luck

Stan Getz Plays for Lovers

Tony Bennett Plays for Lovers and Chet Baker Plays for Lovers are so-so.

I can recommend against:

Doris Day - The Love Album

Dave Brubeck Plays for Lovers

The only one I'd be interested in buying is Isaac Hayes' "Hot buttered soul" - but I've already got it :D

But, for its purpose, it looks like a good idea. Just not an idea for us, unless we have a bird to whom we want to give some music with an ulterior message of an ulterior motive. And what's wrong with that?

MG

• 1 year later...

I couldn't find a way either. Lots of RVGs and Keepnews Collections seem priced 5.99.

I found a number of SACDs for 5.98 as well. . . from Fantasy and Concord. That's a deal!

Also: The code CMG still gets you 20 percent off the total.

Lon--are those SACD's hybrids? I can't tell from the listings. Thanks in advance, if you know!

I couldn't find a way either. Lots of RVGs and Keepnews Collections seem priced 5.99.

I found a number of SACDs for 5.98 as well. . . from Fantasy and Concord. That's a deal!

Also: The code CMG still gets you 20 percent off the total.

From the Concord site:

*All Concord SACDs are hybrid discs compatible for listening on traditional CD players."

I didn't locate a similar statement for the Fantasy ones, but I have 8 and they are all hybrids. I believe they all have been.

*smacks head*

thanks, Lon. That site is kind of hard to use/find information on.

There has to be a way to sort all jazz CD's, just like all the jazz SACD's, and then sort by price, but i'm just not able to figure it out.

From the Concord site:

*All Concord SACDs are hybrid discs compatible for listening on traditional CD players."

I didn't locate a similar statement for the Fantasy ones, but I have 8 and they are all hybrids. I believe they all have been.

If it helps anyone, this is what I ordered:

Milt Jackson & Wes Montgomery Bags Meets Wes! [Keepnews Collection]

Cannonball Adderley & Milt Jackson Things Are Getting Better SACD

Ray Charles Genius Loves Company SACD-

Marian McPartland Silent Pool SACD-

Nnenna Freelon Shaking Free SACD-

McCoy Tyner Illuminations SACD

McCoy Tyner Land Of Giants SACD

Wynton Kelly Kelly Blue SACD

Chet Baker In New York SACD

Art Pepper Gettin' Together! SACD

Sonny Rollins Quartet Tenor Madness SACD

Zoot Sims Zoot Sims And The Gershwin Brothers SACD

I shouldn't have gotten the Rollins, I have it already. :)

11 discs (buy 10, get 1 free), priced at $5.98 apiece, free shipping, and a 20% discount! :tup

Here's my haul, for a total of $47.84. Some of these I probably wouldn't have bought at full price, but at $4.35, no worries.

Miles Davis - Live At The 1963 Monterey Jazz Festival

Thelonious Monk - Live At The 1964 Monterey Jazz Festival

Wynton Kelly - Kelly Blue SACD

McCoy Tyner - Illuminations SACD

McCoy Tyner - Land Of Giants SACD

Gary Burton - Generations

Gary Burton - For Hamp, Red, Bags, and Cal

Chick Corea And Gary Burton - The New Crystal Silence

Ron Carter with Eric Dolphy & Mal Waldron - Where?

Chick Corea & Bela Fleck - The Enchantment

Paul McCartney - Memory Almost Full (CD/DVD Deluxe Edition)