Massive Fantasy Sale On Oldies.com

street singer

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the general opinion on Collectables releases (other than their sometimes bizarre album couplings)?

Is the sound acceptable? I'm interested in some of the Charles Lloyd and Rahsaan Roland Kirk in particular.

As far as the sound goes, if there are other options, seek those. Otherwise, the Collectables will do.

What is the general opinion on Collectables releases (other than their sometimes bizarre album couplings)?

Is the sound acceptable? I'm interested in some of the Charles Lloyd and Rahsaan Roland Kirk in particular.

As far as the sound goes, if there are other options, seek those. Otherwise, the Collectables will do.

I don't have any problems with the sound quality of their Atlantic jazz stuff. The early CD era Collectables CD's had horrid sound, many apparently dubbed from vinyl, but they eventually got their act together. I think they maybe are leasing digital masters rather than doing their own mastering now, but can't say for sure.

I don't have an example at-hand, but it seems like some of those Collectable two-albums-on-one-CD omit one or two tracks from the originals. If true, I'd consider that a "bummer".

They got away from that over time also, and started going to two LP's on two CD's when necessary. But always best to check.

dear oldies.com OJC blowout sale,

i was so mad when i saw how you were happening, not pricewise, but the fact they were being "cut out", i got your catalogue and wanted to get all the ones i wanted

then dan gould told us about how the ordering system was all whacko, you would order 15 titles and only get 2 of them, or whatnot

not to mention they are CDs probably made from digital copy tapes, i know brubeck a ala mode cd

sounds real good but is it really direct from the fantasy master tape?

anyways so i thank you, for inspiring me to buy all the prestige 1st pressings i can. oh no, i didnt get the Happy Blues OJC limited edition cd-- oh, I have a 1st pressing-- sounds so good

I don't have an example at-hand, but it seems like some of those Collectable two-albums-on-one-CD omit one or two tracks from the originals. If true, I'd consider that a "bummer".

An example is the Collectables Denny Zeitlin Cathexis and Carnival CD. The CD is missing 4 songs from the Carnival LP. Collectables is honest enough to acknowledge the missing songs in the tray notes. I had to get the Carnival LP from eBay and make a CDR of the 4 missing songs to complete my collection.

An example is the Collectables Denny Zeitlin Cathexis and Carnival CD. The CD is missing 4 songs from the Carnival LP. Collectables is honest enough to acknowledge the missing songs in the tray notes. I had to get the Carnival LP from eBay and make a CDR of the 4 missing songs to complete my collection.

The Zeitlin Mosaic Select is fine stuff.

dear oldies.com OJC blowout sale,

i was so mad when i saw how you were happening, not pricewise, but the fact they were being "cut out", i got your catalogue and wanted to get all the ones i wanted

then dan gould told us about how the ordering system was all whacko, you would order 15 titles and only get 2 of them, or whatnot

not to mention they are CDs probably made from digital copy tapes, i know brubeck a ala mode cd

sounds real good but is it really direct from the fantasy master tape?

anyways so i thank you, for inspiring me to buy all the prestige 1st pressings i can. oh no, i didnt get the Happy Blues OJC limited edition cd-- oh, I have a 1st pressing-- sounds so good

As usual :rolleyes:

The fact that they are "cut-outs" is the reason they are so cheap. They don't notch them just to piss us off. And what do you mean by "digital copy tapes?" These are exactly the same Fantasy/Prestige/OJC stuff that Fantasy (and now Concord) has been selling for years. Most of it sounds very good. Yes, fulfillment was spotty at first, but I eventually got almost everything I ordered and was never charged for items that didn't ship. Again: :rolleyes:

yes, i am saying , is OJC stuff even in the 80s lp only age, really analog? how do we know they werent all plopped onto a U-matic Eq'd 1630 tape and squirted out at the cd plant? who as ever actually been aware of, for sure, OJC's/Fantasy's et al's process into mastering all these classics? i mean theres a TON or reissues, much more than bluenote ever put out, what is up with how they did these. for that matter mcmaster too? did he work for digital copy tapes?

I believe that the OJC LPs up to #250 or so are analog. After that there is a notation on the back cover saying something like - remastered by whomever - don't have any of those LPS anymore, so I'm not sure of the exact wording. I assume that those later LPs used the same digital mastering as the CDs.

I believe that the OJC LPs up to #250 or so are analog. After that there is a notation on the back cover saying something like - remastered by whomever - don't have any of those LPS anymore, so I'm not sure of the exact wording. I assume that those later LPs used the same digital mastering as the CDs.

To my knowledge, the OJC with the highest number that was never issued on CD was OJC 334, Billy Butler's 'Guitar Soul!'. It may still have been digitally remastered, of course.

From Fanatasy's point of view it probably didn't make sense to remaster LPs and CDs differently once they had started to put out CDs. When did that happen, BTW?

To my knowledge, the OJC with the highest number that was never issued on CD was OJC 334, Billy Butler's 'Guitar Soul!'.

You can get that one here:

butler_bill_nightlife_101b.jpg