Massive Fantasy Sale On Oldies.com

street singer

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I received a phone call today from customer service confirming my mailing address and letting me know one of my orders was getting ready to mail. I had not received a confirmation email on any order, so I took the phone call as a good sign.

Concord went through a corporate downsizing around the end of March. Brandi, their most knowledgeable and helpful customer relations staff person was one of the casualities. One should not expect the same level of service from these folks. Unfortunately I think this is a case of doing less with less...........

The big push with Concord now is with mp3s (Yuck).

- Don

Um...has anyone tried to call them this week? It's 4:30 EST and they say they don't close till 5, but I've now called twice (and left a message yesterday) and nobody has picked up or called me back.
Edited by jazzydaddy

A few more I don't see on the lists:

Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz Radio Broadcast With Bill Evans

Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz Radio Broadcast With Dave Brubeck

The Rance Allen Group Let The Music Get Down In Your Soul

Ok so now this link is back http://www.concordmusicgroup.com/promos/summer/ and no longer linking to box sets. Although it now says "Unfortunately, this sale had to be discontinued on Friday, June 12. The titles are still listed below at their regular price." but when you add the CDs to your cart they show up as $5.98????? I can only assume this is part of Concord's brilliant marketing plan so the customer will say "OH MY GOD! they're still on sale I'm buying 50 discs!!!" Mhmm, something like that... :mellow:

Edit: Here's a few other $5.98 titles I found that I don't see on any of the blowout sale pages

Amhed Abdul Malik - Jazz Sounds of Africa

Bill Evans - Alone (Again)

Bill Evans & Don Elliott - Tenderly: An Informal Session

Count Basie, Joe Turner - Bosses

Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson With The Cannonball Adderley Quintet - Cleanhead and Cannonball

Ella Fitzgerald - Ella A Nice

Ella Fitzgerald - Ella in London

Freddie Hubbard & Oscar Peterson - Face to Face

Gene Harris - The Gene Harris Trio Plus One

Geoffrey Keezer - Sublime: Honoring The Music Of Hank Jones

Hank Jones - Ain't Misbehavin'

Joe Pass & J.J. Johnson - We'll Be Together Again

Joe Pass Quartet - Nuages: Live At Yoshi's, Vol. 2

Louis Bellson Explosion

Roy Eldridge, Oscar Peterson & Dizzy Gillespie - Jazz Maturity

Steve Turre - One 4 J: Paying Homage to J.J. Johnson

Thelonious Monk Quartet - Misterioso

I hadn't looked at this thread in awhile (didn't want to tempt myself to go back to the well), but I was also concerned about not getting a confirmation e-mail and called last week the day after I'd placed my order. The woman I talked to said they'd definitely gotten my order and it would be processed either on Friday (June 12) or the following Monday. Given what I've read here, I think I'd better call again today and make sure it did get processed and went out.

I got my first order yesterday, complete. :)

Never got an email confirmation or shipping email, but 'salright.

Excellent, good news--thanks for passing that along, Lon. Hopefully my order will show up today or tomorrow.

EDIT: Or maybe not. Just got off the phone with a Concord customer-service rep, very friendly, but apparently my order, placed on June 10, is still in process at the warehouse.

Edited by ghost of miles

Disappointed to hear the Gil Evans and Ten and Zoot and the Gershwin Brothers SACDs are out of stock. Thanks Chuck for advising about the Gil Evans SACD as an upgrade. Actually I didn't have the session at all. So I'll keep a lookout for the original OJC.

Disappointed to hear the Gil Evans and Ten and Zoot and the Gershwin Brothers SACDs are out of stock. Thanks Chuck for advising about the Gil Evans SACD as an upgrade. Actually I didn't have the session at all. So I'll keep a lookout for the original OJC.

Well (he said, selfishly), I hope my order got processed before the Evans went out of stock!

greg mo

I placed a second order today, although my first order (from 6/14) has not yet been shipped. Some more titles sale-priced at $5.98 each that have not yet been mentioned include:

Charlie Byrd - The Guitar Artistry of Charlie Byrd

Rev. Gary Davis - Say No to the Devil

Vince Guaraldi Trio - Charlie Brown's Holiday Hits

George Lewis - Jazz in the Classic New Orleans Tradition

Phil Woods Septet - Pairing Off

Now their sellout page says "Unfortunately, this sale had to be discontinued on Friday, June 12. The titles are still listed below at their regular price."

I'm glad that I already have practically all of those I want ... one good thing about them stopping the sale is that most titles are probably still available.

Re the Gil Evans: Forget about the OJC and get the SACD - it sounds tremendously better!!!

The others are a mixed bag, sound-wise: check at sa-cd.net for reviews.

Edited by mikeweil

They really are goofy, aren't they? I remember when they did that huge sale...what was it...last year? Year before? It was the same thing--pure chaos. Orders got delayed, some things were available, some not, no "order" to it at all. And yet, despite all the craziness, most orders did arrive...in time. The lunatics really do seem to be in charge of the asylum over there.

greg mo

Got my order today - only six of eleven were shipped. Missing were the SACDs of Monk and Mulligan, Gil Evans, Sonny Rollins (Tenor Madness), Chet Baker in NY and sadly, the Big Star two-fer. Oh well. For those of you that have been through this with Concord before, did you ever get any backordered items or was it a bust? I see that most of the missing titles from my order are still on their website.