What Standard Ought to Be Retired?

Dan Gould

It's blasphemy to talk that way about Caravan. One of the best versions I ever heard was by a studio band of hot bluegrass musicians--Bill Keith, Vassar Clements, David Grisman, and Tony Rice. When Charlie Byrd and Scott Hamilton recorded it together a decade later Byrd quoted liberally from Rice's guitar solo. Love that cross-pollination!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the best versions I ever heard was by a studio band of hot bluegrass musicians--Bill Keith, Vassar Clements, David Grisman, and Tony Rice.

What was the name of that recording? Sounds interesting!

The album was under Bill Keith's name: "Something Old Grass, Something New Grass, Something Borrowed, and Something Bluegrass". They also play a damn fine "Jordu", and a rousing "Auld Lang Syne", which I inflict at top volume on my family every January 1st.

I went back and listened to Caravan and I'd have to agree that Jimmy Forrest's Caravan isn't the most scintillating Caravan I've ever heard (Art Blakey's version comes to mind), the solos seem to get lost somewhere along the way and Jimmy starts out a little slow but does heat up, especially in the out chorus. I'd have to think that if this had been done on BN, Caravan would have been in the can for awhile.

It's blasphemy to talk that way about Caravan. One of the best versions I ever heard was by a studio band of hot bluegrass musicians--Bill Keith, Vassar Clements, David Grisman, and Tony Rice. When Charlie Byrd and Scott Hamilton recorded it together a decade later Byrd quoted liberally from Rice's guitar solo. Love that cross-pollination

There's a great version of Caravan on a compilation album called Swing West Volume 2 Guitar Slingers (Razor Tie). The version is credited to Ferlin Husky. However, it's really just the studio backing band fooling around in between takes. Unfortunately none of the artists are credited. However, the steel player is probably Curly Chalker. The guitar player had obviously been listening to Charlie Christian (not that his playing was derivative) great stuff! There's also a very fine version of the Benny Goodman/Charlie Christian song A Smooth One by Roy Lanham. If you love guitar music check this one out! It's full of "West Coast" style country.

Cross-pollination is alive and well! The Brian Setzer Orchestra did a killer version of Caravan a few years ago that won a grammy.

Edited by Sundog

Dude, if you can figure out what was going through Bud Powell's mind at ANY time, you get a gold star! ;)

(sorry - gratuitous "mad genius" joke/cheap shot. I really should know better...)

Probably the same thing as the answer to this old joke:

Q. How many Dadaists does it take to change a light bulb?

A. Fish

Still haven't changed my mind.  Please, please, PLEASE stop recording Baby It's Cold Outside!  :(

Yeah, once David Johannsen (by whatever silly name it was he was going by!) did that one, the plug should have been pulled! :lol:

Johannsen's version was ripped from the Ray Charles/Betty Carter version, which is a gem. Check it out and you just might change your mind about this tune.

I've always been a big fan of "Caravan" but I'd rather hear no version than a mediocre version of it. The most exciting version of "Caravan" that I've ever heard is on Brubeck's "Back Home" recording where Jerry Bergonzi rips through a completely berserk tenor solo. I played the recording for my sax teacher and he just looked at the ground and said, "Man, I gotta start practicing more." ^_^

Bring me to the table marked "it's the singer, not the song" as well. I've heard lame versions of caravan, and I've heard versions of caravan that would singe your chest hair. Personally, I've got enough decent versions of Caravan laying around the house that I never get tired of it.

Now, as for tunes that I'd be happy if I never played again...

There is no greater love

Blue Monk (I'm the world's biggest Monk fan...whenever anyone calls this, I just think, "damn, is that the only Monk chart anyone knows?")

All of Me

Body and Soul

and for emphasis' sake...

There is no greater love

Blue Monk (I'm the world's biggest Monk fan...whenever anyone calls this, I just think, "damn, is that the only Monk chart anyone knows?")

Sometimes Blue Monk is what people call when they want to be hip and call a Monk tune, but haven't bothered to learn any more challenging Monk tunes (like Epistrophe, for example, or Well You Needn't with the right bridge).

"Hey look, I know a Monk tune!" Gimme a turduckin' break! :huh:

Edited by Free For All

Sometimes Blue Monk is what people call when they want to be hip and call a Monk tune, but haven't bothered to learn any more challenging Monk tunes

Blue Monk is a bit overplayed (guilty B) ). But it's a nice entry point into Monk's music for both listeners and musicians. As a matter of fact, it's the first Monk tune I ever learned. One has to start somewhere! To keep things interesting I like to segue from Blue Monk into Gooden's Corner or vice versa. That usually puts a nice twist on the proceedings. If you really want to mess with people, try having two soloists play both melodies simultaneouly. Now that's hip, and it actually works!

Blue Monk is a bit overplayed (guilty  B) ).  But it's a nice entry point into Monk's music for both listeners and musicians.  As a matter of fact, it's the first Monk tune I ever learned.  One has to start somewhere!  To keep things interesting I like to segue from Blue Monk into Gooden's Corner or vice versa.  That usually puts a nice twist on the proceedings.  If you really want to mess with people, try having two soloists play both melodies simultaneouly.  Now that's hip, and it actually works!

That's an interesting idea. Kind of like "Double Clutching" on Coltrane Time.

I didn't mean to be critical of those who like to play Blue Monk, Sundog, I just think it's important to continue to delve into the more obscure and less frequently played tunes. There are also those who play Shorter's "Footprints" (usually with the wrong turnaround) and end their exploration of Shorter tunes there. Both are great tunes, fun to play, but neither is particularly representative of the most innovative work of the composer, IMHO. Both Shorter and Monk tunes are so unique unto themselves that you can't apply the usual analytical yardstick (such as traditional functional harmony and phrase lengths, for example).

Each player is at a specific point in his/her development and they should proceed only as is comfortable for them, I just think it's important to sample a larger portion of each writer's work. It took me a while to "grow into" appreciating certain artists (like Monk, Mingus, Andrew Hill, Dolphy for example) and tunes (Shorter, Monk, Golson) and I'm still learning. That's what's so great about this music- once you reach one peak, you see another higher one off in the distance, and this goes on forever!