What Standard Ought to Be Retired?

Dan Gould

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was discussed in another thread- I certainly could name some tunes that I'm burned out on, but that doesn't necessarily mean those tunes are weak.

Just when I thought I'd heard every conceivable version of a standard, someone comes along and discovers a fresh approach, or they just play with so much conviction and taste that I re-develop interest in the tune.

I think it's more of an issue of weak performances that an inherent weakness in the tune itself. That being said, all of us do have our most and least favorite tunes, and that's cool. :)

On Woody's band I had to play Woodchopper's Ball every night, sometimes more than once. Now there's a basically one-note blues head that can get really boring- what made it interesting night after night was the rhythm section copping a hard swinging groove and the soloists attempting to find something new to play each time. Being on the road, the audience is different each night- they don't know if you're playing the same solo that you played last night in another city. But the other players on the stand hear you every night, and they know who's just "phoning it in". Those are the people I'm most playing for. So I think it's about the performance more than the tune.

Just to be fair, I'll name a tune that I myself am tired of- There Will Never Be Another You. Now I know of several great recordings of it- a Sonny Rollins and also a Jim McNeeley version, to name a couple. I just feel I've "mined" all I can from it, and don't want to play it for a while. Maybe after a break I'll rediscover some new things to do with it, but in the meantime I'll let someone more inspired have at it. It might be someones else's favorite tune right now. I know my most/least favorite list changes regularly.

As for me, I currently like Caravan. I can understand what you're saying, Dan, and I've certainly heard lame versions of it, but I think it's still an interesting tune. With two bridges! :)

A fabulous song that's been done to death: 'Round Midnight

Around the time the namesake movie came out, it seems like everyone recorded it.

By contrast, it seems like everyone (at least in the Swing/Big Band world) has recorded One O'Clock Jump, but I'm cool with that.

Dan, I haven't heard the Jimmy Forest/ Grant Green CARAVAN - but I take it it's uninspired??

I wouldn't necessarily say that, Harold. It was more a straight reading of the melody that made me go "ugh, I used to dig that pseudo exotic thing, but damn, I think I've heard it too damn much!" and I didn't exactly listen to the solos, I was fighting the urge to cue up the next tune ... then came the return to the theme and I said, "yup, I've heard this sucker too many times" and then I started this thread. ;)

I agree with those who say it's what you bring to the song. There's none that I would retire, especially Love for Sale. That's one of my faves, along with All the Things You Are. To cite three versions that are different but each quite fantastic, listen to Miles' version of Love for Sale, the Three Sounds and Art Tatum's. All unique but very cool in their own ways.

Although it is not a bad song, and it is a song I like, I was beginning to tire of A Night In Tunisia. Then I listened to Dexter's vesion of the song on Our Man in Paris. My thoughts changed to, A Night In Tunisia, what a fantastic tune.

Yes, it is the player, not the song.