Bad news from Mosaic

J.A.W.

did anybody out there really want George Wein - Is Alive And Well or Jimmy Witherspoon - Goin To Kansas City?

I see your point, but would like to add I've really enjoyed the Jimmy Witherspoon and have listened to it repeatedly.

Me too! That's a great album and kudos to Mosaic for reissuing it. I can't comment on the Wein album as I don't own that one. :unsure:

I think JAW's point was not that these aren't good albums--they are--but that they're odd choices, and I have to concur on that point. There are some odd choices among those singles even by the "more established" artists. I was surprised by the J. J. Johnson choice, for example, because there was some really good jazz stuff he recorded in his other RCA albums (especially "The Total J. J. Johnson") that had to be left out. Likewise, while "Woody's Winners" is a great album, Woody's Columbia material would have made a fine select.

greg mo

I don't remember posting anything here about those albums :blink:

Believe that was Ciff Englewood, not Hans.

Some of these selections didn't really excite me. Good music but not compelling.

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having experienced 2 no-gos already for the Brookmeyer Select, I have orders in for the Brookmeyer at two more retailers. It looks like they're going to keep me guessing until the very end. One of the retailers put an authorization through on my card and their web-site indicated that the order moved from being sent to fulfillment, to packing, to shipped. The odd part about that is the authorization disappeared off my card and my account wasn't charged. (yet at least) The other retailer shows that my order moved from "payment processed" to "payment approved". They've actually charged my account but I haven't received notice that my order has shipped nor does it indicate it was shipped on their web-site. I suppose I could call to follow up on the orders but I really don't feel like it and the anticipation is kind of cool. Sometimes the journey is more fun than the destination.

Edited by mikelz777

did anybody out there really want George Wein - Is Alive And Well or Jimmy Witherspoon - Goin To Kansas City?

I see your point, but would like to add I've really enjoyed the Jimmy Witherspoon and have listened to it repeatedly.

Me too! That's a great album and kudos to Mosaic for reissuing it. I can't comment on the Wein album as I don't own that one. :unsure:

I think JAW's point was not that these aren't good albums--they are--but that they're odd choices, and I have to concur on that point. There are some odd choices among those singles even by the "more established" artists. I was surprised by the J. J. Johnson choice, for example, because there was some really good jazz stuff he recorded in his other RCA albums (especially "The Total J. J. Johnson") that had to be left out. Likewise, while "Woody's Winners" is a great album, Woody's Columbia material would have made a fine select.

greg mo

Eh, it wasn't JAW's point, it was my point, well sort of.

If your re-issueing stuff to what is an already very limited market and charging top $ for it, surely your criteria should not be albums that happen to be obscure yet are available for release and then talked up to a point to make them seem a definitive release. The Art Farmer Single was a good idea, the Art Blakey Single, not so sure, although now that I've typed that I know someone is going to say it's his best album. You're right though, the choices are odd and it's more than likely why they haven't had the sales they were hoping for with the Singles series and have stopped releaseing them. Not withstanding 3 or 4 people on a Jazz message board of course. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I get the impression that Mosaic thought their customers will go for anything as long as it has the "Mosaic" name on it. They are right to a certin extent, there's a few of those customers on here. I'm not naming names though. :w :w :w

My bad. I confused posters. Hope NEITHER of you is too insulted! :blush:

greg mo

One of the retailers put an authorization through on my card and their web-site indicated that the order moved from being sent to fulfillment, to packing, to shipped. The odd part about that is the authorization disappeared off my card and my account wasn't charged. (yet at least)

This wasn't by chance Keenzo, was it? They apparently just packed up my John Patton set, even though the initial credit card authorization has mysteriously vanished from my account. In any case, they gave me a tracking number over the phone, so hopefully the Patton is a go.

It figures that I quite literally ordered my first EVER Mosaic sets a week before this whole mess happened. I can't afford the big sets, but I had targeted six of the Selects:

Curtis Amy and Charles Tolliver (which I received right as the mess occurred)

Carmell Jones (ordered the day I learned of the problems, and since received)

John Patton (hopefully on its way)

Bob Brookmeyer (on order, but I'm worried because I've not gotten confirmation)

Bud Shank (looks like I won't be able to get this)

Guess I should consider myself lucky if I'm able to get five of the six sets I wanted. The Bud Shank was actually the "lowest" on my list, though the sound samples on Amazon and AllMusic make it sound quite good.

I'm pretty lucky my public library has about 20 Selects, including those I never quite could pull the trigger on like the Brookmeyer or the Gordon, though I don't think they've been keeping up with the more recent ones. I continue to buy the ones I want and sometimes even forget to preview a copy from the library beforehand, such as the Pacific Jazz Piano Trios. Hooray for good libraries. :party:

Having experienced 2 no-gos already for the Brookmeyer Select, I have orders in for the Brookmeyer at two more retailers.

My first 'port of call' just cancelled on this one but I have supplier plan B who should be more reliable (or else I'm stuffed :rfr ).

I wonder what Bob Brookmeyer thinks of all this? Forget 'Tulip Bulb Futures'. It's 'Brookmeyer Mosaic Futures' where the action is.

Edited by sidewinder

Ok, as halfway expected, the order that's been "in progress" since Thursday (for the Pacific Trios) has finally been cancelled - more than three days, how lame! Of course from a vendor that sent a mail about how they offer the best service there is within half an hour after my order... how doubly lame!

Anyway, now I have high hopes that the other vendor, from whom I've ordered both the Shank/Cooper and the Pacific Trios will indeed come through!

I received an email from Movie Mars a short time ago concerning the status of the Pacific Jazz Piano Trios:

"The item listed below is temporarily delayed, but we anticipate shipping it in the next 1-3 days, and you will be notified the moment it has shipped. In the unlikely event your item should experience further delay, you will be notified again."

Not sure if this is a good sign or not?

I've heard diddly from Movie Mars since my order days ago. Since Amazon operate a "Charge When Ship" system which generates an automated email when the vendor confirms shipment, I'm not holding my breath!

The supplier for the Dexter set hasn't responded (idiots - if you haven't got it, why list it :rmad: That's Caiman for you) so I've started Plan B with that one too and added an Art Pepper in while I'm at it. Jeez...

ordered a Pullen for 60€ - holy crap...

In the Pullen inflationary environment, that qualifies as a 'Great Find' :rfr

Edited by sidewinder

greg mo

Eh, it wasn't JAW's point, it was my point, well sort of.

If your re-issueing stuff to what is an already very limited market and charging top $ for it, surely your criteria should not be albums that happen to be obscure yet are available for release and then talked up to a point to make them seem a definitive release. The Art Farmer Single was a good idea, the Art Blakey Single, not so sure, although now that I've typed that I know someone is going to say it's his best album. You're right though, the choices are odd and it's more than likely why they haven't had the sales they were hoping for with the Singles series and have stopped releaseing them. Not withstanding 3 or 4 people on a Jazz message board of course. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I get the impression that Mosaic thought their customers will go for anything as long as it has the "Mosaic" name on it. They are right to a certin extent, there's a few of those customers on here. I'm not naming names though. :w :w :w

My bad. I confused posters. Hope NEITHER of you is too insulted! :blush:

greg mo

You'll be hearing from my team of Lawyers in due course.

The supplier for the Dexter set hasn't responded (idiots - if you haven't got it, why list it :rmad: That's Caiman for you) so I've started Plan B with that one too and added an Art Pepper in while I'm at it. Jeez...

ordered a Pullen for 60€ - holy crap...

In the Pullen inflationary environment, that qualifies as a 'Great Find' :rfr

Yeah, I guess that's true... 150$ seems to be usual for that one, but that was the case last week already.

I gave up on finding it, but against all odds, amazon.de had one copy left. Still waiting for a shipping mail before celebrating, but it's showing as "will ship soon" and I can't change anything on that order... hope to have a shipping notification by tonight, otherwise I'll give up on that one!

Sorry to hear about your trouble regarding the Dexter and Pepper (that one I skipped - got the old CDs and might buy that Omega disc from Freshsound some day, which has two more tunes if I remember correctly).

Just in case, amazon.de still has a few of these at the same prize I bought it (70€, I got VAT deducted, but I'll pay that back to the mailman I guess...):

Dexter Gordon (1 remaining)

Carmell Jones (4 remaining)

Grachan Moncur III (3 remaining)

You might want to check for marketplace offers first, though... if they come through, they might end up a bit cheaper:

Mosaic Selects on amazon.de

Also, there's one Quincy Jones box for 65€ up for takers.

(all links via Org - disclaimer: these might be gone fast now... don't wonder and blame me if there are none left!)

Got a shipping notification for the Don Pullen! Yippee! Yowzah!

And sent a message to the seller from whom I ordered the Shank/Cooper and Pacific Trios to ask... I guess they both shipped, as the order is almost a week old by now, but I won't know for sure until end of September, if they made it to Paris safely, so I thought it doesn't cost anything to ask them for a shipping confirmation!

You might want to check for marketplace offers first, though... if they come through, they might end up a bit cheaper:

Mosaic Selects on amazon.de

Since you couldn't keep this for yourself, I had to order the Pacific Trios and the Brookmeyer - you're ruining me, but I really wanted these.

And I still want the H.R.S. box .... arghh!

Got a shipping notification for the Don Pullen! Yippee! Yowzah!

Congrats. Can I call you 'your highness'? :crazy:

I nearly had a seizure late morning when a second-hand Pullen suddenly came up on Amazon US for $50 so I put it in my cart. The seller had no history so emailed to check availability. Got a quick response but it had already gone. Apparently, it had been sold within 10 minutes of him listing it.

I've therefore written off the Pullen but fingers crossed on Dex and Brookmeyer.

I respect and admire the tenacity of all you guys, but this is one of the great feeding frenzies of all time.

I realize a lot of the buying here is from secondary sources, but I still say this unfortunate incident is going to help Mosaic's bottom line in the short term. They've done some pretty good business over the past 24 pages or so.

Carry on and good luck to you all! :tup