Bad news from Mosaic

J.A.W.

Curtis Amy arrived today. Have to give it a spin over the weekend.

I'd say the Tolliver material is a chunk of music you'd want to hear. These sessions really have a lot of life in them. I guess in the end they are musically limited which is why I didn't replace the copies I already have with the Select. I'd say that if you ever were interested in Woody Shaw then you might also enjoy this Tolliver.

just to clarify: one disc of the select is bonus tracks not available elsewhere; that said, i have some of tolliver's other albums and i believe i understand what you mean by "musically limited"... the two selects i really want to get eventually are the tolliver and the first hill, at this point...

I do like Woody Shaw. I have the Mosaic, Stepping Stones, In My Own Sweet Way, Live Vol. 3 and the sessions with Freddie Hubbard. Some of his stuff (not what I own) is a bit too "out" for me.

What do you mean when you say that the Tolliver stuff is "musically limited"? Is is because there is not another horn involved other than his trumpet? Is it because you see it as too straight ahead vs. adventurous or vice versa? Because the music starts to sound all the same or the soloing patterns are all the same? Because of the skills or execution of the musicians involved? I'm just curious about what you meant by that.

One of the great things about these sessions for me is the live feeling throughout. It's got great "presence".

BTW, I wouldn't call it "musically limited", but that's just me - I'm a little biased.

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you mean when you say that the Tolliver stuff is "musically limited"? Is is because there is not another horn involved other than his trumpet? Is it because you see it as too straight ahead vs. adventurous or vice versa? Because the music starts to sound all the same or the soloing patterns are all the same? Because of the skills or execution of the musicians involved? I'm just curious about what you meant by that.

Oh I mean I find the soul jazz idiom much-of-a-muchness, and with one horn then yeah after a while you know where you are pretty much, which is why I'm not hungry for the extra tracks. I was about to write 'I'll probably pick up the box eventually' but as we now know that is a dangerous sentiment...

My Brookmeyer Select has arrived - and the HRS set from Mosaic. Some good listening ahead today :)

both very fine sets, if I had to choose one it'd be the HRS, I think it has longer staying power. Meanwhile I await Shank/Cooper, Patton and Amy ( a late addition- given how much I like Katanga and Way Down.

both very fine sets, if I had to choose one it'd be the HRS

Only listened to CD1 so far and it is excellent. A1 Bechet/Spanier and Pee Wee Russell material. Incredible that Malcolm Addey came specially over to Wales to remaster some of it as well ! Sound very good indeed.

You won't go wrong with Curtis Amy and John Patton - both essential. Shank/Cooper awaited from Mosaic !

Edited by sidewinder

Just ordered a Don Pullen Select from Oldies.com for $58.33. This is probably a complete waste of time, but at least it's a merchant that doesn't charge your credit card until the product ships.

Apologies for being the bearer of bad news but I called them to check the availability last week. They first offered to special order it acting like it was no problem, but when I questioned whether the distributor could send it to them they checked and then said "yeah...they're out."

I sent a note to Mosaic on Friday about the sets that are on backorder. Here's what they said:

Thanks very much for a very supportive e-mail. The Johnny Smith and Jazz

Crusaders are expected back in a few weeks. But there is no specific

information on the others.

Better this than nothing I guess.

Up over and out.

I have to say I have (and like) both of those sets... :) I would suspect the license on the Smith is going to expire soon....

I sent a note to Mosaic on Friday about the sets that are on backorder. Here's what they said:

Up over and out.

Up over and out.

I mentioned that before and also in another thread - I asked them about most of the backordered sets and they're all expected to be back later this year, or so they told me!

That's the spirit King Ubu!!! Long live the King! You know I was not aiming specifically at you I hope. My remark was just in general after reading all the postings in the thread.

Yeah, I guess I knew... I still felt a bit attacked. Anyway, I'm looking forward a lot now to the Braxton, but of course also to the OOP Selects that should come in anytime now!

Holy crap! :angry: :angry: :angry:

The vendor from whom I'd ordered both the Shank/Coop and the Pacific Trios Selects has just cancelled both orders - after ten friggin' days!!!! And after answering my inquiry with "Both orders are due to be dispatched to you today." on September 16!!!!

How lousy is that!

I've given up on those now, although I put in orders, but the prizes are exploding (100£ anyone?)

I'll name names. I'd like to put a bad word out on White Elephant Media and their do-nothing customer service.

I placed an order for the Brookmeyer on 9/11 and was charged on my bank account the 13th or14th. As of the 11th, the date of my order, they had 8 copies of the Brookmeyer for sale on Ebay "Buy It Now" albeit for a higher price than what I paid on their web-site. Those copies sold out the 13th. (7 of those to one buyer) My copy was supposed to ship 2-5 business days after the purchase date. Once that time expired with no word I contacted them only to be informed that they had "sold their stock before their system updated" and that my order was in back-order. I then replied that they had 8 copies of the Brookmeyer for sale on Ebay that didn't sell out until 2 days after my order date and that one of those copies should have been mine. They replied by completely ignoring my email and informing me that my item was back-ordered and that they didn't know when it would come in. I replied by telling them the item was now out-of-print and that I'd apprecitate it if they contacted their distributor to see if they would actually be able to get a copy or whether it was a lost cause. They again replied by ignoring my request and informing me that the order should ship 2-5 business days from the intial order date and if it didn't, they would contact me. Well, it was pretty easy to see where this was going. I asked them to cancel the order and refund my money today. I hope that the refund doesn't become a problem now.

I guess I can't complain because I did get a copy of the Brookmeyer for about the same price Mosaic offered it before factoring in Mosaic's shipping charge. Thanks Bull Moose!! Still, no one likes getting reamed and then ignored by a merchant after they've already taken your money. I really would have been ticked off getting jacked around like this if the other order hadn't gone through. Anyway, that's my warning. I wouldn't recommend ever giving White Elephant Media any business.

Edited by mikelz777

Ten holy effin' days! G-sus! Have them britons no watches or politeness or anything? And then flat out lying to me and then keeping my money for another full week? Are they putting up fake offerings and using the money for speculating or what the hell? Gee, I'm mad right now!

Ubu - may I apologise on behalf of my compatriot A-Holes for their jerking around.

Looks like I might have been let down with the Pacific Jazz Trios too. A refund is apparently on its way - although it says 'account adjustment' as if they had mistakenly charged me twice - either way, what has happened has not been clearly communicated.

On the plus side, Quincy Jones has just arrived from Germany and looks like Poppa Lou's in the PO. :excited:

Edited by sidewinder

I won't name names, but one of our very own board members has the Piano Trios and Don Pullen for sale on half.com.

A pretty penny I might add. Perhaps he'll offer us a bargain. :tophat:

A pretty penny indeed :blink:

I won't be able to buy the Pullen (the only one I'm looking for) anyway, as half.com is "U.S. only".

Edited by J.A.W.

Yes, I've stopped looking up things on half.com because of that...

sidewinder, thanks for bearing with me... hope my very expensive new orders won't be another pair of no-shows... but then I don't hope anything right now. I'll live with copies a friend has offered to do for me a couple of days after mayhem began, if worse comes to worse.

I picked up an extra Don Pullen at Amoeba Records, new (I think; it had the extra layer of shrinkwrap that Amoeba puts on new sets). I listed it at Amazon Marketplace, but then Amazon wrote me and blocked my account for reasons which they won't divulge, due to "related links"! That's worthy of a whole separate thread. The find you guilty but won't tell you the offense or the evidence. Since I've never sold anything on Amazon, nor haave I ever been remiss with a payment, I'm stumped.

But in any case, should I eBay it, half.com it, or offer it to any of you interested folks? Maybe $80 ish? I was hoping to get over $100, really need the money, but the hell with it. PM me if interested.

I would like to put in a good word for CSB046 who PM'ed me a few days ago and recommended I buy the Brookmeyer from JazzLoft.com. I immediately placed an order and tonight I received a shipping notice with tracking number, so it appears this is a merchant that only offers products they have in stock. I will update this board once the package arrives to quell those fears of another King Ubu moment.

From the looks of it JazzLoft still has copies of the Brookmeyer, Dexter Gordon, and John Patton Selects for sale. Good luck.