Bad news from Mosaic

J.A.W.

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of the Beatles, it was either here or elsewhere that somebody made a rather apt comment a week or two ago--that they helped usher in the CD age with the original reissue of their catalogue in '87, and that the reissues today will probably constitute the last great gasp of that age.

Well, the Rolling Stones' 1960s albums originally appeared on CD in 1984, so it can also be said that they helped usher in the CD age :)

Wow, was it that early? For some reason I thought the first Stones CDs hit in '86. (They were so abysmal that I held off buying anything but the LONDON SINGLES box for years & years.) Your point would still be taken in either event, though... except for the Beatles Factor.*

*i.e., "don't you know, the Beatles did everything first!" ^_^

I was referring to the Rolling Stones CDs that were released in West Germany by PolyGram in their 820XXX series. They sounded good; the American ABKCO CDs didn't, at least not to my ears.

Didn't know about the West Germany Polygram editions, but I concur with you on the American ABKCOs.

Meanwhile - Shank/Cooper and Pacific Jazz trios have just disappeared off of 'Last Chance'. Yikes :o

And disappeared out of my cart!

Damn! More like a "Ghost of a Chance" category.

Got home from work and checked my Mosaic shelf. Thankfully, I've got all of the affected sets. Just in case, when I was at work I checked Deepdiscount CD as someone suggested. I saw the Brookmeyer, Dex, and Johnny Richards sets listed. Don't know if they actually have them though......

Of the Selects I haven't already purchased, the Bob Brookmeyer was the only one still out there that I was interested in enough to want to buy it. I was going to wait a while until it hit "running low". (I decided I could do without the Pacific Jazz piano trios set I was thinking about earlier.) I ordered one through DeepDiscount.com and they took my order with the following caveat:

"This item is temporarily out of stock and will ship to you as soon as product becomes available. We will email you soon with an estimated delivery date. You will not be charged for this item until it is shipped."

It doesn't look good but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I read this thread just before leaving work, so I stopped on my way home at a great local CD store that carries many of the Selects. I bought Bob Brookmeyer (it's on now) and Bennie Green for myself. I also picked up copies of the two no-longer-available sets the store had: Dexter Gordon and Art Pepper. I have offered them privately (at my cost) to John Tapscott and Werf, respectively, since they they were the earliest to post lamenting them. If they don't want them, I'll sell them (again, at cost) to the first board member who wants them.

The store had one more copy of the Dexter Gordon, and one copy each of the Pacific Jazz Piano Trios, Duke Pearson, and John Patton. If anyone wants these, I'll go by tomorrow and pick them up if they're still there, which of course I can't guarantee.

I'm glad I recently picked up Curtis Amy and the PJ Piano Trios.

I was planning on swinging by Amoeba later today and could take a stab at doing the same. Meaning if anyone wants to commit to one, I'll pick it up for you and ship it, etc at cost. Amoeba tended to sell these for either $45 or $50, plus tax. UNless they already jacked them today, but I would think they'd be too busy with the Beatles release.

or maybe I should just buy them for eBay. <_<

I saw Os Mutantes at Amoeba yesterday, by the way. Delightful set. They actually have a new album out, released yesterday. There's one to go for!

Edited by Adam

Really sad news, I have not bought Mosaics for years now(too expensive with shipping cost, custom and wat), but it was a great company, sorry to to say that I don't think they will survive, not so many of the true jazzlovers anymore, we are a dying breed.

I only have 8 sets, but still, I have too much music to listen too. I can listen for a whole year from morning to night without listen more than once to each record I have, should be enough. We are not stamp collectors, we are lovers of JAZZ.

Vic

Remember also that Cliff is selling the Pepper over in the marketplace.

Not anymore he doesn't.

I was selling stuff I can do without for a while or that I have in other forms and the Pepper fell into this category, I would have bought it again before it went OOP, but since it has just disappeared of the face of the planet at the flick of a switch(maybe literally), I think I will hold on to it.

This really does suck big things, but as they say shit happens. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Remember also that Cliff is selling the Pepper over in the marketplace.

Not anymore he doesn't.

I was selling stuff I can do without for a while or that I have in other forms and the Pepper fell into this category, I would have bought it again before it went OOP, but since it has just disappeared of the face of the planet at the flick of a switch(maybe literally), I think I will hold on to it.

This really does suck big things, but as they say shit happens. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Whoops. Well, glad you didn't end up selling it!

Well, I just pulled a very late trigger on the Pearson, Shank/Cooper and Pacific Jazz Piano Selects. Wish I could have added a Donaldson.. :(

If I had known, I would have bought one for you, Bob. I managed to grab the Washington and the Donaldson before they disappeared...

I guess you have most of the music on LPs though.

Edited by ASNL77