Bad news from Mosaic

J.A.W.

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Pullen and Richards arrived today, but both cost me a lot of taxes as the prizes were so high (both over 50 €) - that sucks, but at least I got them.

The annoying thing however is, I got the Pullen, Dexter and Richards, but not the Shank/Coop and Pacific Trios. Of course it was the later two I really, really wanted to get! :(

My Pullen and Richards arrived today, but both cost me a lot of taxes as the prizes were so high (both over 50 €) - that sucks, but at least I got them.

The annoying thing however is, I got the Pullen, Dexter and Richards, but not the Shank/Coop and Pacific Trios. Of course it was the later two I really, really wanted to get! :(

Do you also have to pay tax on goods from the European Union? If so, you'll have a hard time finding stuff for attractive prices outside your country...

Do you also have to pay tax on goods from the European Union? If so, you'll have a hard time finding stuff for attractive prices outside your country...

Yes. I haven't figured out how exactly things work, but big vendors such as amazon deduct the (French/German) VAT and if an order has a value of more than 50 CHF, the Swiss VAT gets added (7%), plus (that's the main part), the post demands a pricey fee (18 CHF currently, sometimes it seems to be only 12, I don't quite see a system in it).

Anyway, with both French and German Amazon offering free shipping on orders over 20€, I can get good prices now and then (while good price inside my little country are only possible in special sales... there, I can get discs for about the prices that CDUniverse or Amazon USA usually offers...)

My 'Australian' Freddie Slack arrived yesterday. Just listened to CD3. Nice stuff!

Of all the black-hole Selects, that's probably the one I'm least put out about (although I'll probably regret that statement).

Same here... didn't even try to find that one. But hey, as long as we don't know that was a mistake, let's just not bother about it! :)

With me, I guess the Pac was a 9, the Shank/Coop musically a 7 or so (but I wanted it as badly as 9 - I love the Shank Pacific Mosaic and wanted to get the Select ever since it came out...), the Richards may have been a 5, the Pullen and Dexter a 7 or so... anyway... my card was just charged for another Shank/Coop order, so there's hope again (but this whole thing is probably EMI's way of teaching us modesty... hope is there to fade away slowly, ain't it so?)

The latest from Movie Mars concerning the Pacific Jazz Trios:

"We are still working diligently to fulfill the item listed below, and you will be notified as soon as it has shipped".

At this point seeing no other viable options, I might as well hang in there until they officially cancel my order. :(

Edited by Tom 1960

Yes, in the big scheme of my current frustrations, Pacific Jazz Trios is a '10', Dex is a '9' (there's a vinyl fall-back for some of the set) and Freddie S. is a '1' :)

I just bought Michael Cuscuna's mint JPN PJ Fischer LPs yesterday on eBay for 12.99 a pop. It's only a slice of the pie for this set........but a sweet one! :cool:

Just returning to the topic of bad news for Mosaic (uh, rather than bad news for us ;)), I was looking at the Mosaic website and just realized how much of their product range has suffered because of this. Once the running low/last chance Selects have gone there will be 20 of the original 35 available. It's a big dent, they must be gutted (as we say).

Yes, in the big scheme of my current frustrations, Pacific Jazz Trios is a '10', Dex is a '9' (there's a vinyl fall-back for some of the set) and Freddie S. is a '1' :)

I just bought Michael Cuscuna's mint JPN PJ Fischer LPs yesterday on eBay for 12.99 a pop. It's only a slice of the pie for this set........but a sweet one! :cool:

Now why didn't I think of this approach? From 'the horse's mouth', no less ! :D

Edited by sidewinder

Are you guys talking about that bluenotesound guy? He's got some more sealed, low-numbered, OOP Mosaics up for auction.

Just wait 20 more years and you might find his stash of Piano Trios for sale. :P

Amazon today e-mailed that the seller of the Brookmeyer (a Munich bookshop) had not confirmed shipment within the timespan pre-set for charging my credit card. You know what that means. I e-mailed the seller, anyway.

Since my funds for CDs are totally used up, I will stop hunting for now. Time will tell if used copies come within reach ...

Does this mean you've been ripped off???

Are you guys talking about that bluenotesound guy? He's got some more sealed, low-numbered, OOP Mosaics up for auction.

Just wait 20 more years and you might find his stash of Piano Trios for sale. :P

Yes. Looks like he's got a DeFranco/Clark on there now. I tried to track down some of that set recently at Amazon Japan, and they are all OOP and waaaay expensive. Wish I'd ordered 'em back in '03. $133 for 'Sweet & Lovely'? Bit steep, eh?

Universal UCCV 9121(Verve)New DeFranco,Buddy/Jazz Tones

Universal UCCV 9122(Verve)New DeFranco,Buddy/Autumn Leaves

Universal UCCV 9123(Verve)New DeFranco,Buddy/In A Mellow Mood

Universal UCCV 9125(Verve)New DeFranco,Buddy/Sweet And Lovely

Amazon today e-mailed that the seller of the Brookmeyer (a Munich bookshop) had not confirmed shipment within the timespan pre-set for charging my credit card. You know what that means. I e-mailed the seller, anyway.

Since my funds for CDs are totally used up, I will stop hunting for now. Time will tell if used copies come within reach ...

No - amazon only charges the buyer after the seller has confirmed shipping the goods. As a marketplace seller you have to confirm shipment within 7 days - if you don't, the process is suspended until you confirm shipment.

In my case, that the seller didn't confirm means that contrary to their statement they didn't have the Brookmeyer Select in stock. Meanwhile they replied to my e-mail that they still await delivery from their US distributor, which means they have no idea what happened.

Yes. Looks like he's got a DeFranco/Clark on there now. I tried to track down some of that set recently at Amazon Japan, and they are all OOP and waaaay expensive. Wish I'd ordered 'em back in '03. $133 for 'Sweet & Lovely'? Bit steep, eh?

Universal UCCV 9121(Verve)New DeFranco,Buddy/Jazz Tones

Universal UCCV 9122(Verve)New DeFranco,Buddy/Autumn Leaves

Universal UCCV 9123(Verve)New DeFranco,Buddy/In A Mellow Mood

Universal UCCV 9125(Verve)New DeFranco,Buddy/Sweet And Lovely

The Jazz Tones and Sweet & Lovely are near impossible to find. I own the Japan mini-LP Autumn Leaves, In a Mellow Mood, and Cooking the Blues. I've been meaning to get rid of them ever since I picked up the Mosaic for a steal of a deal about 10 months ago. In fact I just happen to be listening to Disc 3 now. :wub:

Good luck with that auction. It's a hell of a set.

No - amazon only charges the buyer after the seller has confirmed shipping the goods. As a marketplace seller you have to confirm shipment within 7 days - if you don't, the process is suspended until you confirm shipment.

That's maybe how the vendors *should* handle it, but my card was charged for two Selects that were not in stock (see above)... charged, and only ten whole days later - and the prize of the respective boxes doubled in that time - I got a cancellation/re-fund email... for the re-fund to actually take place, that'll take several more days...

Anyway, there's still hope, as both my latest Pacific Trios and Shank/Cooper orders were charged now as well... hope this one's not another idiot vendor and the fact that my card's been charged this time really means I'll get the sets! But I'm not holding my breath any longer!

FWIW, my Brookmeyer arrived today from JazzLoft, #2444. Looking forward to cracking it open at work on Monday. Tonight is dedicated to Sweet Dreams - Cradlesongs & Lullabies, my 9-year-old's favorite when daddy jazz doesn't do the trick. According to iTunes, she's on play #34.

I'm sorry to hear the other OOP Selects that appeared available were in fact not. Who would have thought the listing updates were a manual process and the webmaster was a one-man show. At least they were fairly efficient in informing their customers of the error.

In my case, that the seller didn't confirm means that contrary to their statement they didn't have the Brookmeyer Select in stock. Meanwhile they replied to my e-mail that they still await delivery from their US distributor, which means they have no idea what happened.

That's cool, I might send you a PM in the next day or two, I may be able to help you if you're still looking.

Yeah, my big fat parcel w/Braxton, Pearson and the Brothers single arrived yesterday and the best thing is, it slipped through the customs! It's been a while that I was lucky enough for this to happen... :)

Still waiting for any kind of news (shipping confirmation email, or better yet: a parcel in the mailbox) as far as the Shank/Cooper and Pacific Selects are concerned.

Yeah, my big fat parcel w/Braxton, Pearson and the Brothers single arrived yesterday and the best thing is, it slipped through the customs! It's been a while that I was lucky enough for this to happen... :)

No Value Added Tax to pay? What's that worth?

It depends on how the custom guys estimate the value of the package (since Mosaic doesn't properly declare it... sometimes they slip by, sometimes they may get estimated a bit too valuable... I've seen in handwriting the mosaic url on a package once, as the custom guy obviously was smart enough to look it up, but I don't know if they regularly do that).

Anyway, usually it's around 20 to maximum 35 Swiss Franks (at this time, that's about the same in US$, or roughly 12-20€).

Not that much, even more so as the US$ is dirt cheap, but it's still annoying. It's those silly import laws and all the protectionist crap set up by a conservative government (they call themselves liberal - in the European sense, and it only applies to economic, not to social questions). With this, they "protect" national economy from having to produce for market value...

oh, and half (or a third in the worst/most expensive case) of the amount goes directly to the postal services, as a fee because they have to handle cash... that part is very annoying, but it seems private couriers like DHL rip you off by twice or three times that amount.