My email says the following: :o

The following titles are no longer available:

Mosaic Select: Bob Brookmeyer (MS-009)

Mosaic Select: Don Pullen (MS-013)

Mosaic Select: Dexter Gordon (MS-014)

Mosaic Select: Art Pepper (MS-015)

Mosaic Select: Johnny Richards (MS-017)

Mosaic Select: Freddie Select (MS-018)

I'm wondering if I should grab that Pacific Jazz piano trios set.

That one is one of the best Selects in my view. Wonderful music by (in alphabetical order :)) Clare Fischer, Russ Freeman, Jimmy Rowles and Richard Twardzik.

Yeah, I should get it too.

I had it in my cart but dropped it. I just don't see myself listening to it enough.

I'm wondering if I should grab that Pacific Jazz piano trios set.

That one is one of the best Selects in my view. Wonderful music by (in alphabetical order :)) Clare Fischer, Russ Freeman, Jimmy Rowles and Richard Twardzik.

Yeah, I should get it too.

I had it in my cart but dropped it. I just don't see myself listening to it enough.

Your loss :)

My email says the following: :o

The following titles are no longer available:

Mosaic Select: Bob Brookmeyer (MS-009)

Mosaic Select: Don Pullen (MS-013)

Mosaic Select: Dexter Gordon (MS-014)

Mosaic Select: Art Pepper (MS-015)

Mosaic Select: Johnny Richards (MS-017)

Mosaic Select: Freddie Select (MS-018)

A little editing... ;)

Has anyone checked www.deepdiscount.com? They've had a fair number of the selects in the past. Might be a few copies of the cut sets there for a decent price.

I think this is the first time I've ever seen any Mosaic sets disappear completely without any "Last Chance" warning. Very scary.

greg mo

My order:

Qty Description

1 Mosaic Select: Curtis Amy (MS-007) Item :MS-007 Price : $44.00

1 Mosaic Select: John Patton (MS-006) Item :MS-006 Price : $44.00

1 Mosaic Select: Pacific Jazz Piano Trios (MS-019) Item :MS-019 Price : $44.00

1 Mosaic Select: Bud Shank/Bob Cooper (MS-010) Item :MS-010 Price : $44.00

I have been thinking about these 4 sets for years but never got around to ordering them. Can't wait any more!

Kevin

This is ridiculous at the plant. No more masters! What they hell? Why would anyone at a plant, even when changing whatever, ever discard masters? Another sign of the lack of archival concern among the music companies.

Or, maybe they had to throw everything away at the plant to make room for new Beatles remasters pressing.

Yet another example of how the Beatles destroy music! :winky:

Fortunately, I had purchased all those Selects as they were issued or I'd be facing a big bill today. Besides the ones on Kevin's list, I'd recommend the Bennie Green. Never a big fan of the Pearson although I have it.

Of the no longer available ones, I have the Gordon, Brookmeyer and the Pepper and I like them in inverse order.

I hope someone gets their ass fired for that. How the hell can you destroy a master. Jesus Christ :(

Edited by Brad

Does no longer available mean they are now sold out on the original 5,000 or that EMI decided to pull the plug and wouldn't make up to the 5,000?

As I understand Mosaic's message, it means that the masters and components were destroyed and it's too costly to remaster everything again and make new ones for the remaining run of those sets.

Edited by J.A.W.

So here's a naive and foolish question: the masters are gone, but CD duplication is an easy task. Digital error correction is a snap, and if you have more than one copy of each CD, it's nearly fool proof.

What keeps Mosaic (and the idiotic twits at Capitol/EMI) from burning a few more copies of these sets?

I'm somewhat annoyed I missed the Dinah one.

So here's a naive and foolish question: the masters are gone, but CD duplication is an easy task. Digital error correction is a snap, and if you have more than one copy of each CD, it's nearly fool proof.

What keeps Mosaic (and the idiotic twits at Capitol/EMI) from burning a few more copies of these sets?

Mosaic will not sell copies.

The Dinah Washington is still available, though there's "limited inventory available" as it says in the announcement (see post #1).

Edited by J.A.W.

Thinking about the Lou Donaldson set (6 CD's, damn!), and maybe the Pacific Jazz Piano Trios, but man -- that Lou set really is a big chunk of change right now.

I already have almost all of the set I most wanted from those suddenly deleted or barely on life-support, but man, this really sucks.

My habit was always to wait until something I really wanted went on the "running low" list -- and then I'd literally buy every damn thing that I had any even half-way serious interest in. That meant about once every three or four years I'd drop over $400 or $500 with them. Buy nothing for years, then go absolutely crazy. (Saved a hell of a lot on shipping that way, probably well over $200 over the last 10 years -- and my wife could weather my mega-spending sprees better when they were spaced out that far apart. I also usually timed my sprees with Mosaic's very infrequent sales too, which helped too.)

That said, sets being deleted without any warning at all, damn! :o

Commendable, but in this digital age rather stupid as well. If one wants "copies," it's easy enough to borrow discs from a friend or simply download them. Unfortunate that Mosaic is unwilling in circumstances like this to do whatever it can to accept money from willing customers.

Commendable, but in this digital age rather stupid as well. If one wants "copies," it's easy enough to borrow discs from a friend or simply download them. Unfortunate that Mosaic is unwilling in circumstances like this to do whatever it can to accept money from willing customers.

I think it's a matter of principle, and maybe EMI won't allow them either.

Edited by J.A.W.

You know I think that for a company like Mosaic the cost of all those "components" (the printing of runs of booklets and tray art etc.) and recreating a glass master (not sure if they'd have to remaster from sour tapes or not) is just something that they likely are not able to afford to do to redo these sets. Seems that they'll be adversely affected by this, and may not have been in happy circumstances before this . . .

I wish them the best. I'd order up . . . except I already have all that is in print except for one Select, not on this list. I'll get that soon (the Matthews, not really that interested, but I'll try it again---I have heard it.)

Edited by jazzbo

Wow...brutal news. :blink: I think I already have just about everything that's suddenly been deleted or moved to last-chance, but man, I'm sure this was the last thing Mosaic needed at this particular economic moment. Sure, they'll sell out all of their existing stock of the remaining titles, but to have all those others just vanish without warning...not good.

Dogma doesn't answer the question.

A copy of the CD is, when done right, a bit-for-bit copy. It's exact. It cannot be distinguished from a first generation CD. So I'll ask again: what's holding them back here?

The Dinah Washington is still available, though there's "limited inventory available" as it says in the announcement (see post #1).

I'm not that stupid... I tried, of course. It's not available on the website. They must have had very few, and they were snapped up very quickly. :(

Got home from work and checked my Mosaic shelf. Thankfully, I've got all of the affected sets. Just in case, when I was at work I checked Deepdiscount CD as someone suggested. I saw the Brookmeyer, Dex, and Johnny Richards sets listed. Don't know if they actually have them though......

It looks like Dinah Washingeton set has already gone.