American Idol

No, I don't think its possible to do any worse. She has no background or knowledge about singing. She didn't produce, or play bass, or have hit records, or write and record hit records, like the previous four. What is the point? Are they going to turn it into a laugh riot? I could see Ellen making amusing comments in the early audition shows but beyond that this makes no sense at all. And I don't think she'll take on the role of taking offense to whatever Simon says.

They obviously decided they needed a "name", I thought someone like Deborah Gibson would get it. At least someone who knows something about the industry and singing.

No, I don't think its possible to do any worse. She has no background or knowledge about singing. She didn't produce, or play bass, or have hit records, or write and record hit records, like the previous four. What is the point? Are they going to turn it into a laugh riot? I could see Ellen making amusing comments in the early audition shows but beyond that this makes no sense at all. And I don't think she'll take on the role of taking offense to whatever Simon says.

They obviously decided they needed a "name", I thought someone like Deborah Gibson would get it. At least someone who knows something about the industry and singing.

Yeah agree. I'd think going back to three judges and allowing DeGarmo or whatever her name is, replace Paula.

I don't watch Idol, but more than a few people who are on this board do, so while it may not be newsworthy for some, it might be for others. Don't forget, this is a big tent. Further, I'm a fan of DeGeneres, so that made it more interesting for me. With regard to her musical chops, who cares. There are three others on the panel who, at least in theory, have them. I'm guessing they're trying to lighten things up a bit. Nothing wrong with that.

Up over and out.

The attitude of some jazz lovers that American Idol is beneath them is a missed opportunity, in my opinion. The show tried to have a jazz/"Rat Pack" themed show this past season, in which one contestant did a decent version of "My Funny Valentine", while some of the others seemed clueless about the genre. Jazz was discussed with respect on that show.

If the entire jazz community doesn't care if jazz is omitted from the most popular music show on the planet.....it would be like making fun of Ed Sullivan in the 1960s and saying that you don't care if Louis Armstrong or Duke Ellington ever get on Sullivan, because he is a lame joke for having all those long haired British groups on. It might help jazz if we TRIED to interact with the outside world.

The attitude of some jazz lovers that American Idol is beneath them is a missed opportunity, in my opinion. The show tried to have a jazz/"Rat Pack" themed show this past season, in which one contestant did a decent version of "My Funny Valentine", while some of the others seemed clueless about the genre. Jazz was discussed with respect on that show.

If the entire jazz community doesn't care if jazz is omitted from the most popular music show on the planet.....it would be like making fun of Ed Sullivan in the 1960s and saying that you don't care if Louis Armstrong or Duke Ellington ever get on Sullivan, because he is a lame joke for having all those long haired British groups on. It might help jazz if we TRIED to interact with the outside world.

I wonder how Ellen was effected by this horrible thing that happened at Mosaic.

I know it's fun to mock American Idol, but it was my wife's favorite show, and I have to say it made a previously amusical person really interested in music, understand music better, and begin to understand both my jazz and rock and blues and Brazilian and classical collecting fascination, and my stereo system preoccupation. I was negative about the show and regretted her interest at first but I found positive results in what she got out of the show, and the show itself.

And there were indeed quite a few decent singers to emerge from this show. Jennifer Hudson in particular. I watched her and felt she should have won her season, but she's gone on to win an Oscar, and in my opinion deservedly so.

Anyway, I haven't watched the show consistently since my wife passed away, it's been hard to. But I think that Ellen will really bring an improvement to the show.

Doesn't Ellen DeGeneres already have her own talk show? I think TV performers should be limited to one show at a time.

that's actually not a bad idea. but don't tell the republicans. they'll start screaming about deregulation... (oops... sorry. non-political discussion).

i had the enviable pleasure of being assigned the review of the American Idol (AI) Tour in Albany, NY last year for the local schenectady newspaper. excerpt:

"Reality TV's biggest phenomenon brought its well known brand of verisimilitude to the Times Union Center Wednesday night. Keeping it 'real' at the show were David Cook and nine other high place finishers for the season.

[giant cut of nearly entire body of review to get to the point...]

But the real star of the show was - the Show. Stage runways, multiple large projection screens, MTV-style camerawork, screaming tweens, embarrassed parents, huge arena space, AI theme song introduction to the program - it was all there and it was all encompassing.

But there's no escaping the duality of AI reality. These idols are linked to an increasingly tangled web of corporate cross-marketing. The spectacle is awash in a culturally pervasive haze of mindless branding: Get the can of Coke into the hands of the rock star who sang on AI and place their song on a Universal Studio soundtrack with an eye toward AT&T ring-tone rights to drive sales of the "tie-in" McDonald's cup placement which helps promote the Simon & Schuster tween book sales and starts buzz for the Disney Channel spin-off television show. And don't forget that the 2008 tour is sponsored by Pop-Tarts: Kellogg's suger-coated toaster pastries.

The show was put on so professionally, however, that it almost makes you forget about all that other stuff. Almost."

i had fun writing that and i had fun at the show. imo, knowing what's really happening (marketing, not always a very high level of musicality, etc...) - and enjoying the program - are not mutually exclusive things. it's television.

anyway, i think degeneres is a fucking riot. i like her style, she makes me laugh, i think she's a great choice. American Idol is about choosing a Pop Star; it's not Eastman School Of Music's auditions for big band. i don't watch the show too regularly, but i'll sit down and check it out a couple times if i'm home and it can be fun. and anyone who doesn't get a laugh out of the early rounds w/ all the freaks making asses out of themselves has a very different sense of humor than myself. that stuff is the direct descendent of The Gong Show and that show blew my mind when i was growing up. i recommend the movie Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind for anyone wanting to see what a lot of this 'reality' tv is coming out of.

Edited by thedwork

Ellen Degeneres knows probably as much about singing as Paula Abdul does, so there you go. Now if you're talking about pitch correction and lip synching, then yeah Paula has her beat there.

Haha well I guess you got me there. Anyway, I've been annoyed since they added a fourth judge. Just another person that gets talked over or can't finish their point before someone (Simon) chimes in.

http://www.meldrum.co.uk/mhp/testcard/around_world.html

Indian_Head_320.jpg

Probably the most famous American B&W test pattern is the so-called "Indian Head" monoscope pattern. This pattern was originated by RCA in 1939; it was designed to be generated using a special tube called a monoscope, a CRT which had a metal plate target on which the pattern was printed. The black lines of the pattern would interrupt current flow as the pattern was scanned to provide the desired video output. These tubes could only handle black and white - no shades of grey hence they had to be simulated either with a halftone dot pattern or with patterns of fine lines.

Read more about it here! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Head_test_card & here http://www.pharis-video.com/p4788.htm