New Project: Guitar Players

AllenLowe

because I'm out of my mind, as soon as I finally finish the blues project (probably 2 more weeks) I am going to write something like a "listener's guide to guitar."

I'm thinking it will go up to 1970 - with of course the usual suspects (whoever they are) - and of course I know about a lot of players already- would like to include all genres - and just to make sure I have not forgotten anyone, if you're in the mood, name a guitar player or two whom you think should be included-

allright, I'll start it out - Ikey Robinson and Ray Biondi -

Edited by AllenLowe

who did he record with?

Lafayette "Thing" Thomas? I'm surprised you aren't familiar with him. Best known as a big part of Jimmy McCracklin's Blues Blasters and widely recognized as a major blues guitar influence on the west coast. Lots of appearances on Bob Geddins' labels, as well as a couple of the Bluesville releases.

Found this discography at Blindman's.

allright, I'll start it out - Ikey Robinson and Ray Biondi -

I only knew of Ikey Robinson as a banjo player. What did he play guitar on? If you're also looking for banjo players, then Danny Barker is a nice one.

How big is this guide going to be? The obvious ones (Django, Aleman, Lang, Christian, Green, Grimes, Clapton, Hendrix, Segovia, ...depending on how far outside of jazz/blues you're gonna go) are a huge chunk just by themselves! Is this going to be the size of That Devilin' Tune?

Anyway: I guess you're looking for less obvious choices, so I'll mention Ton van Bergeijk. I loved the track Durium put on his BFT a few months ago.

Allen, I ask this with all due respect:

Given your previous projects, why devote time and energy to the most overused, over-hyped, and cliched instrument on the planet?

I'm not knocking the guitar, so guitarists, please don't beat me up; It's just that the rock era has ruined the guitar in so many ways, it is so overused, and no one can envision any sort of ensemble without a guitar anymore.

That said, if you proceed with this, you HAVE to include Joao Gilberto.

Allen, I ask this with all due respect:

Given your previous projects, why devote time and energy to the most overused, over-hyped, and cliched instrument on the planet?

I'm not knocking the guitar, so guitarists, please don't beat me up; It's just that the rock era has ruined the guitar in so many ways, it is so overused, and no one can envision any sort of ensemble without a guitar anymore.

That said, if you proceed with this, you HAVE to include Joao Gilberto.

Although, i still will encourage Allen to keep on with his project, your feelings about guitar music are similar to mine. One of the reasons i got into jazz was to get away from the guitar sound that is way too omnipresent in popular and rock music.