Keith Jarrett Standards Trio

CJ Shearn

I am currently borrowing "Whisper Not" from my TA in my jazz class and absolutely loving it (have disc 1 on right now) I certainly plan to buy it in the near future. Now, what are some other KJ standards trio albums to pick up for a neophyte into his stuff? I've been looking at Still Live, and The Complete At the Blue Note with great interest. at this point I'm interested in the trio stuff, might explore his solo stuff later.

I have a particular liking for 'The Cure' and 'Standards Live'. But all this recordings have their riches. The Blue Note set is superb. If you feel like jumping in the deep end you can do so with confidence.

But give yourself a real treat and buy 'Facing You' as well - still my favourite Jarrett disc (The 'Bremen/Lausanne' 2CD (used to be 3LP!) is my favourite of the more expansive Jarrett solo discs).

cool Bev. When funds allow I just may go with the Blue Note box. although it's probably too much to digest in one sitting, I have a habit of listening to a set in one shot and critically listening at the same time rather than passive. On my small set up in my dorm (as opposed to my nice Technics speakers at home) with small satellite speakers, I was struck at how amazing Whisper Not sounds, even on an average set up, it's CD sound done right. Gary Peacock sounds as if he's right in the room and Jack's Sabian ride has a real depth, real presence, nice stick tone, and deep rich warm ring like an old K. Amazing. The version of Poinciana is nothing short of stunning, Keith plays with the most inventive cliche free ideas. No wonder why he is Lyle Mays' favorite pianist. Would the DVD's out be recommended as well?

Do try the studio sets aswell(Vols.1 &2 and the Miles tribute Bye Bye Blackbird-great cover shot on this one,pity it didn't come out on vinyl!).If you feel adventurous check out the "originals" albums,Changes(studio from the same session that produced Vol.1)and the live Changeless and latest two Inside Out and Always Let Me Go.A word too for At The Deer Head Inn,with Jarrett's initial choice for the drum chair,Paul Motian instead of Jack.

I can only underline the praise for the Blue Note set,awesome and a box set you really will get down off the shelf at regular intervals.