Any Chopin fans?

Walt Richmond

One evening a long time ago I put on an album of Chopin's nocturnes, and shortly thereafter realized that this was the composer who spoke most directly to me as a musician. Since then I've worked on the music of many classical and jazz composers, but Chopin's works comprise about 75% of my repertoire. My favorites are his nocturnes (and not exclusively because those are the ones I can actually play!), but I also love his scherzos and polonaises like no other composer. I really think he's the greatest piano composer in the history of the instrument.

I'm not terribly familiar with classical music after Liszt, though. If anyone knows of any composers who seem to carry on Chopin's legacy I'd appreciate hearing about them.

Count me in. Back when I attempted to play classical piano, Chopin was my favorite.

You may like Debussy's and Ravel's piano music if you like Chopin, especially if you have an interest in both "classical" and jazz. Ravel's is among the most difficult piano music to play, as an aside.

I do know Debussy, but not that well. I haven't listened to much Ravel, and if he's more difficult than Chopin listening is all I'll be doing!

I do know Debussy, but not that well. I haven't listened to much Ravel, and if he's more difficult than Chopin listening is all I'll be doing!

Ravel's three-movement "Sonatine" is approachable for piano players with a certain level of skill, but most of his other stuff is very challenging from a technical standpoint.

Ravel's three-movement "Sonatine" is approachable for piano players with a certain level of skill, but most of his other stuff is very challenging from a technical standpoint.

I enjoyed listening to the "Sonatine" very much, and it's definitely within my skill level. It's now on my list of things to do. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...