Henry Butler

Bright Moments

I almost saw Henry Butler perform. A few years ago I went to Bob French's regular Monday night gig at Donna's in N.O. Butler was supposed to be on piano, but didn't show, so Davell Crawford was recruited to fill in. On his radio show the next morning, French played "Why Do You Do Me Like You Do" and dedicated it to Henry.

I saw him at Snug's Harbor in NO during the Jazzfest 2 years ago. He didn't look like he'd been hurt by Katrina. He played a straight ahead jazz set with only a bit of NO R&B flavour in one number. I think he used to lean more towards the R&B. I hired him for a wrap party years ago to play for dancing.

I believe he gave up on jazz and only plays blues now.

Originally he was marketed as a jazz pianist, but has leaned more towards blues & r&b since then.

He played a straight ahead jazz set with only a bit of NO R&B flavour in one number. I think he used to lean more towards the R&B.

I think these contradictory impressions are the result of imposing labels that most New Orleans musicians don't recognize. Most of the guys (and girls) down there play any and all types of music, and don't really consider one particular style "their thing." In Samuel Charters' very flawed book Trumpet Around the Corner, he expresses confusion after seeing the great Johnny Vidacovich play avant-ish jazz one night and funk the next night. Charters asked JV what style was really "his" music, and it was obvious that Vidacovich considered the question irrelevent. His "thing" is to make whatever music he is playing at that moment live and breath.

I doubt that Butler considers himself a jazz musician, a blues musician, an R & B musician, or a gospel musician. He's a musician.

And I just remembered that I have heard Butler at Donna's - with the outstanding trumpeter Wendell Brunious. They played traditional jazz, modern jazz, and R & B - and smoked on all of it.

Edited by jeffcrom

HENRY BUTLER – FIVIN’ AROUND

MCA impulse! MCA – 5707 (1986)

Henry Butler-Piano, Vocals Freddie Hubbard-Trumpet Azar Lawrence-Sax (Tenor) Charlie Haden-Bass Billy Higgins-Drums

With: Steve Kujala-Flute Jeff Clayton-Oboe Richard Greene-Violin Margaret Wooten-Violin Roxanna Jacobson-Viola Gloria Strassner-Cello

A1 Fivin' Around (5:06)

A2 L.A. Samba (7:17)

A3 The Eastern Connection (1:05)

A4 Improvisation On An Afghanistan (4:55)

A5 Giant Steps (4:15)

B1 Swing It! (3:42)

B2 My Coloring Book (6:03)

B3 The Butler's Blues (4:47)

B4 Old Folks (5:33)

B5 I Want Jesus To Walk With Me (4:56)

In Samuel Charters' very flawed book Trumpet Around the Corner, he expresses confusion after seeing the great Johnny Vidacovich play avant-ish jazz one night and funk the next night.

I need to correct a mistake. Charters came out with two books about New Orleans jazz around the same time, and I got the titles confused. I haven't read A Trumpet Around the Corner, and hope it's great. Playing a Jazz Chorus is the one I found less than satisfying, although Charters' heart was in the right place. He just hadn't paid any attention to the New Orleans scene for years, and so made a bunch of mistakes and incorrect assumptions.

Now back to regularly scheduled Henry Butler disscusion....