I've created a fun project

CEB

I got out some manuscript paper and have started writing putting together some Jazz-type arrangements.

The first one is basically 'So What' from the Kind of Blue album. I am putting together simplified melody lines all kept in the lower octave ranges for my 12 year trumpet player. She is actually playing cornet cause it fits her small hands better. I also think it is easier to blow than my old school trumpet I offered her when she joined band.

My goal is record about a half dozen of these. I wish I had done this back when my 15 year old first started learning sax. Going to try to use alot of C dorian minor lines.... no sharps or flats for my little one. :D

I just need to think of 5 more songs I can simplify but still will sound cool.

I don't know why I posted this. If any of you have kids and have have never done this I think it would be a nice thing to try. I wish I had done this when my boy started. He still plays I need to score a sax part I guess.

Have a great weekend.

Edited by CEB

I've been doing something akin to this, although using much less "hip" repertoire, with my little guitar students (just transcribed the Harry Potter main theme so that an 8 yo could practice reading in G major). Simplifying melody like this is hard when trying to keep the music interesting.

First thing that comes to mind (in addition to some of the other Kind of Blue tracks)--"Softly, As In A Morning Sunrise" (at least the "A"--transposed. It's a strong melody on its own).

Does anyone know what the minimum I would have to spend to be able to do mulit tack recording on my home computer and burn to CD, given that I have a PC with a burner? I have never been into home recording.... except for the occasional cassette practice tape.

Thanks everyone.