Mosaic for Christmas?

Leeway

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Santa's sending me a lump of coal in an airborne express box.

Bet it's late...

Nah, it was delivered on time, but they left it under a snow drift. The box got soggy from yesterday's rain and burst open. The coal was stolen.

ARGH...this post cuts a bit too close tomy most recent experience with Airborne. Are you guys trying to tell me something? :blink:

Woo-hoo!

The Hodges!

My 1st Mosaic. :) Thought for sure the Tristano/Konitz/Marsh would get the honor, and then I was leaning towards the Django, but I've been on such the Hodges jag of late it seems like the one to lead off with.

From what it looks like once you buy one the addiction begins, so I reckon the other 2 likely will be picked up in 2004. Or perhaps something(s) completely different!

My wife knows that I'm addicted to Jazz but, according to her, its better than some other things to which I could be addicted.

She's very supportive of both the listening and the playing. However, she still doesn't "get it."

If they only knew, they might rethink that :rolleyes:

On a slightly different note, isn't there usually a Mosaic (/True Blue) sale right around or after Christmas? I know one can't count on history as predictive, but...

TRUE -

But usually they don't include the latest releases for the 10% discount.

The $5 off a True Blue CD is usually valid for any Mosaic set. They seem to run both of these sale offers throughout the year.

I was able to buy The Complete Verve/Clef Charlie Ventura/Flip Philips Studio Sessions (9 LPS) from Redtrumpet.com, even was able to get a 10% discount. Was surprised to find there are some copies still out there; the minute I saw it, I knew this was my Christmas present to myself.

No Mosaic boxes either for me this Xmas; apparently like other wives, my wife is of the opinion that I have too many as it is. It is not that she dislikes jazz, but she prefers it to be live.

But a few weeks ago we went on brief holiday to London (Hearing the Echoes of Ellington band at Club 100 was great fun). Anyway, as I was surfing on the net seeing what else was on, we came to the Barbican site, with the information that Sonny Rollins was coming there at the end of April. While I looked at the screen with a certain amount of disbelief, she suggested that going to the concert could be her birthday present to me. After all, she said, as almost everyone you listen to is dead, for a change it would be nice to listen to someone who is still alive.

Not a Mosaic box, but all things considered, not half bad.

Edited by andersf

:rmad: Ok, I tell everyone I want Mosaic for Christmas. My wife asks me to mark up a catalog for suggestions for my in-laws. I lament that I got no Mosaics for my birthday in November.

So....What do I find under the tree this year?!

NO Mosaics! Waaaaaaaaaaaaa! :(

Leeway, if you're still there, I would not bother with the Kelly/Chambers set. It's kinda ho hum (and I really like those players). They can both be heard to much better advantage elsewhere; for example, in the Mosaic Morgan/Shorter set.

It's kinda late now (Dec 27), but I strongly recommend the Mulligan Concert Jazz Band set. That's got to be one of the best in years, and the remastering by Malcolm Addey is worthy of the Japanese at their best. After just a few minutes into CD 1 you will be glad you got it. If your Visa card is heavily strained, you might consider the Paris 2 CD set, which is by no means left behind by the Mosaic set.

• 11 months later...

Up. I know which set I'll be getting (see avatar). If I have some spare dough in the new year, I'm leaning toward either the Roy Eldridge or Sonny Stitt sets (likely Eldridge as it's slightly cheaper and I only have one album of his).

What are fellow Organissimo-ites wishing for this year?