Evan Parker @ Stone NYC

Steve Reynolds

Personally, I enoy reading the opinions of both points of view regarding Evan Parker and appreciate both Allen and Alexander for their attempts at presenting their thoughts in an articulate manner.

It's totally unnecessary for Allen to insult people and expect them to be receptive to his opinion. It's a perfect way to get a hostile reaction.

Follow his further adventures on the subject here.

actually the truth is somewhat less cosmic - I wanted to delete that other thread, but could not, so figured best to leave it blank.

I like to discuss this stuff, but apparently my opinions annoy some people. Which I can understand, as this topic is frought with musical politics, and as soon as I express reservations it likely brings forth images of the "anti-jazz" arguments of the 1960s, not to mention the usual mainstream objections. But I like to think that my opinions are a little better formed than that and based on more complex criteria.

Edited by AllenLowe

my god what have I done? Blank posts, references to venereal disease - what destruction hath I wrought with which GOD will smote Organissimo for my sin?

ye bezelbub, Jehova, and the 4 wise men - buildeth me an ark!

more sarcastic trolling.

are there actually any moderators in this place? or should I just be polite and pretend coreymwamba doesn't exist?

I find the last post to be quite offensive. Unless personal attacks are now considered to be acceptable.

The lack of respect for a member's opinion and experience is lousy; beyond that it creates a sense of intimidation, and really says "we don't want to hear from you unless you agree with us."

It is contemptuous and on a par with, say, trying to embarrass a member for spelling something incorrectly (because learning disabilities are hilarious; ask Litweiler) -

Well.

What I wrote here was nowhere near as blatantly offensive as the two PMs you've just sent me: totally unnecessary.

It isn't that I don't respect your opinion - I just don't like your approach to other people's opinions in expressing your opinion.

You can think what you like about Evan Parker - it's all valid, everything's in the ear of the listener - but there's no need to belittle people and constantly shout down others.

I read the threads more than I post because I enjoy finding out about things on here - it's definitely a great place to find out information about music I love. But to be honest, it gets very wearying to read yet another thread that's hijacked by The Thoughts of AllenLowe.

are there actually any moderators in this place? or should I just be polite and pretend coreymwamba doesn't exist?

I find the last post to be quite offensive. Unless personal attacks are now considered to be acceptable.

The lack of respect for a member's opinion and experience is lousy; beyond that it creates a sense of intimidation, and really says "we don't want to hear from you unless you agree with us."

It is contemptuous and on a par with, say, trying to embarrass a member for spelling something incorrectly (because learning disabilities are hilarious; ask Litweiler) -

Well.

What I wrote here was nowhere near as blatantly offensive as the two PMs you've just sent me: totally unnecessary.

It isn't that I don't respect your opinion - I just don't like your approach to other people's opinions in expressing your opinion.

You can think what you like about Evan Parker - it's all valid, everything's in the ear of the listener - but there's no need to belittle people and constantly shout down others.

I read the threads more than I post because I enjoy finding out about things on here - it's definitely a great place to find out information about music I love. But to be honest, it gets very wearying to read yet another thread that's hijacked by The Thoughts of AllenLowe.

Thank you, exactly!

allright, show me where I shouted someone down or belittled them.

C'mon guys, Coreymwamba entered by attacking me initially. I had merely expressed my opinion of Parker.

God this is stupid.

No shit. Here's an example:

Steve, can you read?

wow

speaking about overall quality of music.

double wow

responding to a passive agressive question from 7/4

wow again

I've made 6 CDs, not one

wow to the 10th degree

though one critic did once compare my tenor playing to Sonny ROllins

and though Anonthony Braxton said about me "he is one of the few musicians today doing anything new."

no wow at this point, though I do disagree with that critic (and though Roswell Rudd told me I reminded him of Shepp)

by the way, I recorded the particular CD you refer to with a broken finger

last wow

geez, that sounds like countering a nasty comment with a strong reponse - the term 'wow' was a reference to Steve's own pretty nasty little comments. (though, you're right - I probably should not have inquired about his reading ability) - but you know, Beardsley, you have been peppering me with nast belittlers about ego-centricism on this and other threads. This whole thing was started by your basically objecting, in a nasty and sarcastic way, to the fact that that I even ventured a counter opinion to the prevailing attitude about Parker. But yes, this may indeed be a glass house situation for us all.

at any rate, I have gone back and deleted a bunch of my posts in the interests of re-directing this to its original topic.

I invite the moderators, if there are any, to delete any other of my posts that bother them, and I suggest we all do same.

this is unbecoming and silly.

Edited by AllenLowe

Anyway...having a good close listen to Mat Maneri inspired me to dig into my collection and give him more listening. I was checking out Soul Search with Joe Morris last night and this morning. His use of 72 tone equal temperament as part of his language instead of his agenda was something that Rod Poole after.

Someone at the show said his music was sad. I don't know about that, his microtonal intervals didn't sound happy or sad, more like they sounded other. Microtonality expresses emotions that 12 tone equal temperament can't.

There's other Mat discs in my collection to check out. I can't remember if I've heard him perform before, maybe at the American Festival of Microtonal Music.

Edited by 7/4

No fair: That post was deliberately crafted as a response to the equally snotty post of Steve Reynolds - who may be a relative newcomer here but who is well-known for his equally snotty AND passionate posting history spanning many years elsewhere.

And speaking of snotty/passionate, count me as one who enjoys the contributions of the Allens and Steves of our little world.

Much more fun than, well, whatever ...

Which is presumably why the former, despite a little acerbic cut and thrust, didn't seem to have any real problem with the latter.

Nor do I.

allright, show me where I shouted someone down or belittled them.

C'mon guys, Coreymwamba entered by attacking me initially. I had merely expressed my opinion of Parker.

God this is stupid.

No shit. Here's an example:

Steve, can you read?

wow

speaking about overall quality of music.

double wow

responding to a passive agressive question from 7/4

wow again

I've made 6 CDs, not one

wow to the 10th degree

though one critic did once compare my tenor playing to Sonny ROllins

and though Anonthony Braxton said about me "he is one of the few musicians today doing anything new."

no wow at this point, though I do disagree with that critic (and though Roswell Rudd told me I reminded him of Shepp)

by the way, I recorded the particular CD you refer to with a broken finger

last wow

Edited by kenny weir

where is my snotty post?

Steve, the post of Allen's used to demonstrate what a nasty prick he is was posted in direct, subsequent response to this post of yours:

so Allen are you comparing yourself to Evan Parker?

wow

I have a nice CD of yours from years back - Dark was the Night - a decent recording with a decent tenor saxophonist

in the league of Evan Parker?

wow

listen to his 50th Birthday 2 CD set from 1995 & get back to me on that one

Now, I know you don't think this is snotty, but maybe that's because, well ... forest, trees, that sort of thing.

But no matter - I enjoy your posts AND those of Mr Lowe. And as with him, a chunk of, um, feistiness goes with the enthusiasm and opinionatedness.

Hey - I think I just invented a word!

I don't see where Steve or Aggie deserved any crap from Mr. Lowe.

Well maybe, but it depends on how you define crap.

I'm semi-regularly crapped on by another member but I no longer react. For him, it's just a sort of facial tick.

Edited by kenny weir

how dare he call me decent?

well, it did feel like the damnation of faint praise - especially when that particular band got raves (played Sweet Basil in NYC) and the prior CD by the same group was named one of the top releases of the year by the National Assoc. of Independent Record Distributors.

also, I did record it with a broken finger - hurt like an sob.

Edited by AllenLowe