Last Shop Standing (Whatever happened to record shops?)

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

My local HMV at last check was stocked with the latest Tone Poet LPs such as ‘Mr Shing a Ling’ and ‘Chant’. Quite a respectable stock for what is a low key location - the first time for years in fact. At £40+ each I passed though !

Bull Moose has those too but in the same slots, they have unauthorized versions of many sessions.

For instance, they have the recent BN 80th anniversary edition LP of Herbie Hancock's "Takin' Off" for $23.97. It's cut from the master tapes by Kevin Gray at Cohearant Audio and cut at Pallas in Germany. It sounds pretty good too. Standing just behind it in the 'H' section is another copy of Herbie Hancock's "Takin' Off" LP with the original cover art from the Wax Love label for $19.97. Hey it's $4 cheaper. Get that one, right?

Wax Love did not get a license from Universal so you have no idea what source is used but what the heck, it saves you $4, so that's all that matters.

As I said, in the not too distant past, these records were much harder to find. You almost always had to go mail order because most reputable dealers wouldn't even carry these things. No so today.