Last Shop Standing (Whatever happened to record shops?)

My view too, crisp.

I have the same nostalgia for my record shopping days. But if I think more carefully by the time it got to the 90s I was still going shopping every Saturday, couldn't leave without buying something, and ended up buying things I didn't really need (what are those Joshua Redman albums doing on my shelves?)

Nowadays I download or order a cd I know I want or want to experiment with and can choose from an almost infinite range. A whole set of new musical worlds have opened up.

Probably a perspective based on living in the provinces - those living within easy reach of London will have had a richer experience in the past.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then there's the nostalgia, the record label (Impulse albums came out in the UK on the HMV label) and years ago there was the wonderful shop at 363 Oxford Street.

Yes, when I first moved to London, at the end of 1958, that shop was my local record shop. A fabulous Bauhaus place.

interior-of-hmv-oxford-street.jpg

the-interior-of-hmv-oxford-street.jpg

HMV-363-Oxford-Street-London-Listening-booths-1950s-598x448.jpg

MG

And not forgetting Imhof's in New Oxford Street that was similarly futurist in design. I think it's a Boots store nowadays.

Meanwhile, according to the Telegraph Dobell's is getting an exhibition.

http://www.telegraph...op-Dobells.html

Next up - 'Mole Jazz - The Musical'?

More on Dobell's ( with a great photo of the carrier bag ) from music journalist David Hepworth :

http://whatsheonaboutnow.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/twenty-quid-will-get-you-last-great.html

Then there's the nostalgia, the record label (Impulse albums came out in the UK on the HMV label) and years ago there was the wonderful shop at 363 Oxford Street.

Yes, when I first moved to London, at the end of 1958, that shop was my local record shop. A fabulous Bauhaus place.

interior-of-hmv-oxford-street.jpg

the-interior-of-hmv-oxford-street.jpg

HMV-363-Oxford-Street-London-Listening-booths-1950s-598x448.jpg

MG

And not forgetting Imhof's in New Oxford Street that was similarly futurist in design. I think it's a Boots store nowadays.

More on Dobell's ( with a great photo of the carrier bag ) from music journalist David Hepworth :

http://whatsheonabou...last-great.html

You're right about the design of Imhofs. I think I only ever bought 1 LP there - the 10" of 'Songs by Tom Lehrer'.

I remember that DObell's bag. I think Mole Jazz had a similar thing on some bags at one time, but can't be sure. And a shop in Brighton I used to work in - Fine Records.

MG

I was trying to work out the record he's pulling out. Looks familiar but I can't place it.

It's the soundtrack to the film Jimi Hendrix: Wikipedia

Thanks.

I had Hendrix in my head but assumed it couldn't be because it was in the soundtrack section. Had forgotten that film.

Can't recall anything much about Dobell's but I must have been in quite a few times if only to check it out after perusing student books over the road in Foyles. Doug Dobell's face looks familiar. I'm sure I picked up a good number of deletions from there in the late 70s. Strangely enough I have a number of Dobell '77' Label test pressings that I picked up from Mole Jazz many years later for £1 each in the upstairs Alladin's Cave ! Maybe I should offer them up for the exhibition?

I had better luck with LPs at that cheap outlet on the Foyles side of Charing Cross Road, which usually had stacks of Blue Note twofer deletions and Impulses. Not sure if it was an early 'Our Price'. The location now has a Chinese 'all you can eat buffet' in it, I think.

Astonishing just how many excellent jazz outlets there were in the London area in the 70s/80s. At the time it was taken for granted.

Maybe I am misreading what you are saying here, but just to confirm, Dobells was on the same side of the Charing Cross Road as Foyles, but they were separated by Cambridge Circus.

Edited by Steve Gray

I have never seen that wonderful picture of Dobells in colour before, but I have seen it in b&w.

The picture of Erroll Garner is interesting. The guys at far left and right only look vaguely familiar but the guy at second left I remember very well. He was always behind the counter. It's Doug Dobell to the right of Erroll of course.

I saw Erroll on that tour in 1962, at Lewisham I think.

Dobells was on the same side of the Charing Cross Road as Foyles, but they were separated by Cambridge Circus.

Yes, I am sure you're correct. Show's how memorable Dobell's must have been. :rolleyes:

I think Mole Jazz had a similar thing on some bags at one time, but can't be sure.

Yes, the famous bag with the chequered mole on it. And the t-shirt !

I have never seen that wonderful picture of Dobells in colour before, but I have seen it in b&w.

The picture I was thinking of was actually a different one ...

dobells.jpg

Edited by Steve Gray

The picture I was thinking of was actually a different one ...

dobells.jpg

My abiding memory of Dobell's was the listening booths which had turntables which could have featured in The Flintstones. The arms were really heavy and could inflict untold damage on an LP which was, of course, put back in the rack to be sold later to some unsuspecting sap.

My abiding memory of Dobell's was the listening booths which had turntables which could have featured in The Flintstones. The arms were really heavy and could inflict untold damage on an LP which was, of course, put back in the rack to be sold later to some unsuspecting sap.

Yes - quite right too. The ones at HMV Oxford Street weren't much better. And really, it wasn't the weight of the arm, it was the unknown shakiness of the unkown arms who'd tried out the record before you. :D

MG

I have an abiding memory of sitting (not standing - is that right?) in a booth at HMV Oxford Street, with a friend listening to Compulsion!!!!! by Andrew Hill. It sounded great and I bought it without hesitation.

Thanks for the photos, the staircase is memorable.

Edited by ornette

I have an abiding memory of sitting (not standing - is that right?) in a booth at HMV Oxford Street, with a friend listening to Compulsion!!!!! by Andrew Hill. It sounded great and I bought it without hesitation.

Yes, I seem to remember seats for two. I guess that soon backfired on them!

Yes, I seem to remember seats for two. I guess that soon backfired on them!

Not in the jazz section. There were some proper booths on the ground or first floor where you went in a little room and played the record, and could take a friend :) I am almost certain that was in the classical area. I remember listening to 'Midnight special' in one of those booths, though why I was allowed to take the record upstairs, I can't remember or readily imagine. Anyway, it sounded great but I didn't buy it because I couldn't afford Blue Notes in those days. It didn't stop me from listening to them, though :D

MG

Can't remmber there still were listening booths at Dobell's (in either of the two shops) when I went there in 1975 to 77. I have vivid memories of the shop overflowing with goodies (and therefore appearing relatively cramped) but no booths.

But I may be mistaken and it may just have been so that I didn't even dare to approach those listening booths as by that time they were a thing of the past in our local record shops at home (except for one shop where you could listen to a record through a sort of telephone receiver at a sort of bar counter but it was the clerk who put the record on the turntable for you so that was mildly discouraging to the potential listener too).

Anybody with more distinct memories of what happened when? ;)

Certainly Dobell's had booths! I remember being chased out of one as a callow 17-year-old in 1957 for taking too long to decide whether to buy a Meade Lux Lewis or Pinetop Smith 78! And the graffiti in those booths were worth reading, too. I remember "Roland Kirk has two mouths" and, as an alternative to "Harold Land, fastest tenor in the West", there was "Norah Bloggins (or some such), greatest white entertainer" with London suburban phone number. :lol:

There were definitely booths in Dobells, my experience is similar to MG's, listening to expensive imports (mostly Blue Notes) which I couldn't afford on my student grant.

On the left there were some racks, then the tiny steps downstairs to John Kendall's second hand kingdom, then more racks. On the right at the front there were more racks in front of the counter and at the back on the right were about three booths.

Right at the back was the door to Doug Dobell's office.

I must admit I spent most time downstairs, it's amazing to think now how many second hand Blue Notes, Prestiges and Riversides I bought for £1 to £1 10sh.

it's amazing to think now how many second hand Blue Notes, Prestiges and Riversides I bought for £1 to £1 10sh.

Yet more proof that I was born in the wrong decade.. <_<

The ones at HMV Oxford Street weren't much better. And really, it wasn't the weight of the arm, it was the unknown shakiness of the unkown arms who'd tried out the record before you. :D

The ropiest shop deck I ever saw was the one upstairs at Mole in their 'final' location, not long before they closed. That one had a 5p piece taped on the headshell. :blink:

Edited by sidewinder

Certainly Dobell's had booths! I remember being chased out of one as a callow 17-year-old in 1957 for taking too long to decide whether to buy a Meade Lux Lewis or Pinetop Smith 78! And the graffiti in those booths were worth reading, too. I remember "Roland Kirk has two mouths" and, as an alternative to "Harold Land, fastest tenor in the West", there was "Norah Bloggins (or some such), greatest white entertainer" with London suburban phone number. :lol:

There was also 'Bird lives' and my friend's 'Fred Jackson is the world's greatest jazz musician'. My friend was correct, but the guy who wrote about Mr Parker wasn't. :D

MG

I must admit I spent most time downstairs, it's amazing to think now how many second hand Blue Notes, Prestiges and Riversides I bought for £1 to £1 10sh.

John Kendall's basement was probably responsible for most of the respiratory ailments among the London jazz record buying public. Damp and dank - not exactly prime conditions for rare vinyl either.