The Georgians/Frank Guarente

jeffcrom

Anyone not interested in early jazz can safely skip this.

I've just spent an enjoyable hour listening to the Georgians, a group led by trumpeter Frank Guarente, although they were a "band within a band" unit of Paul Specht's orchestra. Guarente is a pretty interesting figure, and is arguably the first really excellent jazz musician born outside the U.S. (he was Italian). As a young man, he ended up in New Orleans, and traded trumpet tips with King Oliver, who taught him his techniques with the mute.

The Georgians recorded 44 sides between 1922 and 1924. They were more of a pop-jazz band than a hard-core jazz group, but they were pretty good. Guarente's muted work is really tasty, and reedman Johnny O'Donnell was almost as good on clarinet. He also played alto sax, and his bass clarinet passages are pretty interesting for the early twenties. Arthur Schutt was the pianist, and he went on to play with Red Nichols and other bands. I was particularly taken with the Georgians' version of "Farewell Blues" - slower and more mournful than the New Orleans Rhythm Kings' version. And there was plenty of depth on even something as silly as "Henpecked Blues."

Guarente later became a busy studio player. I've got a 1930 78 of "Sweethearts On Parade" by Frank Gaurente and His Orchestra, and it's okay, but not on the level of the Georgians' material.

I listen to their stuff on three old British VJM LPs, but I think all the material has been issued on CD on Retrieval - at least the first 24 sides seem to be readily available. The Georgians weren't as hip as the great bands that recorded in the 1920s - Oliver, Morton, NORK, or even the Original Memphis Five - but they're worth checking out if you have a taste for early jazz.

Guarante's band worked in Detroit in the early 20's, and they are similar to another obscure Detroit band - Finzel's Arcadia Orchestra - which recorded around the same time. Finzel's material has never been reissued. Pianist Justin Ring, a good ragtimer, was on Finzel's band. Interesting blend of novelty, ragtime, and syncopation which isn't too bad at all.

• 7 months later...

I recently added another Guarente 78 to my collection - "My Mother's Eyes" from the same 1930 session as "Sweethearts on Parade" mentioned above. The tune is pretty grim, but it's not a bad little record. Both of the Guarente 78 sides I have are backed by the same studio dance band - The Harmonians.

I still love the thought of Frank Guarente and King Oliver giving each other trumpet lessons in New Orleans.

• 4 years later...

Just listened to Vol. 2 of the three VJM LPs of the Georgians' output, and thought that I should start a thread on Frank Guarente. I did a search, and saw that I had started one over five years ago! Nothing has been added to it since 2010, so it's no wonder that I forgot.

But I want to add that the Georgians' version of "Old Fashioned Love" just jumped to near the top of the list of my favorite renditions of that James P. Johnson song. The band captures a wistfulness that I've never heard in any other recording of the song. The closest to the feel/emotional quality I can think of in early jazz is maybe the New Orleans Rhythm Kings' "Tin Roof Blues."

And I enjoyed Guarente's muted solo work in "Dancin' Dan" - you can hear what he learned from Oliver.

• 4 years later...