Two Betty Davis cds October 6

jazzbo

Thanks to Mike Weil posting a cover image, I discovered that there are two new Betty Davis releases on the horizon.

"Is This Love Or Desire", a never before released "fourth" album from Betty, will be released by Light in the Attic Records on October 6, 2009. Also on that date a reissue of "Nasty Gal" will appear.

I'm stoked.

Betty_Davis-Is_It_Love_Or_Desire_b.jpg

betty.jpg

Betty Davis has some clothes!

http://tondro.com/RagsImages/Jul1970-13-14-15-16-17.pdf

l_cd17395229184b1f8cedf92e8a437bd8.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

Forgive me but after seeing this thread and doing some investigating, all I can say is

8230f6b48e8135446d3049b92e8a8dce.jpg

:D

But. . if you did the right investigating, you'd know who she is!

Well something went wrong there, I tried to add an image of Marlena Shaw's Who is This Bitch, Anyways album. Reading the AMG reviews, this woman sounds like a female version of Blowfly or something. Not my cuppa ...

I had to quote your response and then go to the blog page with the image to see it.

No, I don't think it's your cup of tea. But the first two lps are really neat Hendrix-funk-something else.

Nasty Gal is good too. I'm hoping that eventually Light in the Attic will reissue the "Crashin' from Passion" and "Hangin' out in Hollywood" material.

Edited by jazzbo

Well, as the previous two, these are excellent reissues in the sense that the sound is truly well represented and the booklets are quite informative and the packaging is very handsome.

Having "Nasty Gal" in such glorious sound helps me like the album more; I now feel it's as good as "They Say I'm Different." I love the guitar work, just a great incorporation of Hendrix characteristics, still showcasing a new personality, Morales' own guitar language.

"Is This Love or Desire" is an interesting album. The sound is different on this one, recorded in the country in Louisiana, and the approach slightly modified, more a growing realization of the band that they needed to grow in a different direction perhaps. I need to listen more to really get a handle on it (not a bad thing) and I like it but it hasn't hit me with a sledgehammer the way the other three have.

And I really am puzzled. The notes call this the album in the can that Island wouldn't reissue. . . and say the material has never been released, even in bootleg. But I always thought the two releases (unofficial as far as Betty is concerned I guess) by Charly and Razor and Tie ("Crashin' from Passion" and "Hangin' out in Hollywood") WERE the very same sessions and material. I've never heard either. The track listings differ considerably in titles, but that doesn't mean that the material is different. Has anyone heard these, have any information on the material within them? Thanks.

I wish I had known about her records in the 'Seventies, and I'm not sure why I didn't. She's a beautiful woman, and she really had a strong idea of what she wanted to perform, and she put it out there!

betty_davis_bp.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

• 11 months later...