A bit of help for AAJ

A Lark Ascending

Anyone who has been over at AAJ in the last week will have seen a pretty ugly sight. The usual suspects seem to have gone nuts and a number of the regulars who go there for the music seem to have stepped aside as a result.

I know Mike, who has had more than his fair share of worries of late, is concerned.

AAJ at its best (about 6 months ago) has been a complement to Organissimo - not really a rival. I think it is in all our interests to have it as an alternative.

It would be nice if people here who sometimes post there could give a bit of support. If you can find the time put in a few posts on the sane threads, start a few of your own. I'm not suggesting engaging the nuts. That only makes them worse. Just trying to swamp them with some of the decency that makes this board so successful.

In the end we all stand to benefit. If the AAJ board closes they might move here!

I'm putting in this suggestion without reference to Mike, incidentally. I just think he deserves a better board given all his work.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I clearly made myself unclear with a careless spelling mistake. Compliment should have been complement, now corrected.

I hope I don't sound too much like George W. or Tony in recommending a bit of support rather than isolationism.

As I say, I really think Mike deserves it.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

I rarely check over there anymore. Any time that I post, I usually get some mean-spirited,smart-assed reply and there is usually some pointless and vile argument going full tilt. I have enough aggrivation in my life right now without having to look for some more. This board is the place to be, even though Blue Note won't acknowlege us as an alternate board to theirs. Maybe that's a Plus too!

Edited by Out2Lunch

I agree, Bev. JC is also heading for trouble thanks to GregM--he is relatively civil right now (measured by a very low standard of civility), but it is clear that he is revving up.

Chris (and everybody else), just to clarify, we have a "GregM" who is a regular here who most assuredly is NOT the party to which you refer. Our GregM is an allright kinda guy.

I agree that Mike is a nice fellow indeed, and Nils et al. . . and I really like many sections of the All About Jazz site a lot. . . . But the bulletin board is just. . . boring. I keep trying to get interested, but. . . "Monk vs. Mingus Round Nine". . . "Jaco was the Goddamnedest Greatest". . . .I can't get into it.

I just looked over there and didn't see the threads that seem to be controversial and wasn't interested in looking after a few minutes!

Bev, I've been checking the place out over the last few days, and I must admit that it's a tough sell when the place is patting itself on the back for getting rid of one childish poster while defending a drunken boor just because he happens to be a musician, but you're right. At it's best AAJ was a fine place, and Mike sure as hell deserves better than he's getting with all the work he's put into the place. I'll try to post sanely and carefully over there a bit more.

I just looked over there and didn't see the threads that seem to be controversial and wasn't interested in looking after a few minutes!

Same here. Was it a political thread?

This thread is a good example.

As long as a guy like deep keeps holding the AAJ board hostage and terrorizing it like he's doing now, I'm not going to post over there. Every time a poster is saying something deep doesn’t like (which is almost all of the time, unless it's Patricia / Still Life), they get a bashing; my English is not good enough to counter sexist, childish and offensive posts like his. It's beginning to look like deep is controlling the AAJ board.

Edited by J.A.W.

Jazzmoose,

I'm not sure the place as a whole is patting itself on the back. There are a small group of 'children' who have got the upper hand at present, most of whom are going out of their way to get the boor's approval. They are the one's dancing on the leaver's grave.

I think there might be a problem with one administrator who seemed to join in the 'fun.' They might need to rethink how they decide on administrators and just what their role is.

The reasonable posters seem to have retired which explains the lack of activity of late. There is a fair bit of activity going on behind the scenes to try and find a way to deal with the problem.

AAJ is different. It has 'jazz' in the title and is thus a first point of reference for anyone surfing. It gets a fair number of young and inexperienced people. Some are silly, some naive, most just curious and want to know a bit more. A place like Organissimo, should they stumble on it, would probably terrify them.

I've stuck with AAJ because it has attracted more posters who share my interest in non-American jazz than this place. Sadly many of these seem to have backed off in recent weeks.

Yes, it has become rather dull of late...it never seems to have recovered from the breakdown fully. I'm not suggesting everyone needs to rush over there in a rescue bid. Just that those who have found something of value there in the past might like to consider pitching in.

Gotta admit that I was pleasantly stunned to see clifton posting over here. That cat knows his stuff, although we totally disagree on Odean Pope. No big whoop, since I've yet to meet anybody who likes/dislikes everything I do, and most likely never will. That would just be WIERD!!!

I'll keep an eye open for interesting threads to post to over there (and ain't it funny how we talk about "over there" when it's all cyberspace and is all really everywhere, or nowhere, or just where anybody is at a given time). Certainly don't want to see the place die or become irrelevant. This is still my "home", and unless something really funky goes down, will remain so. But we can all drop in and have a nice visit with the neighbors, right?

I'm not sure the place as a whole is patting itself on the back. There are a small group of 'children' who have got the upper hand at present, most of whom are going out of their way to get the boor's approval. They are the one's dancing on the leaver's grave.

I think there might be a problem with one administrator who seemed to join in the 'fun.' They might need to rethink how they decide on administrators and just what their role is. 

According to this thread, this particular administrator seems to have realized that.

I've stuck with AAJ because it has attracted more posters who share my interest in non-American jazz than this place.

Its inclination towards freer styles is the main reason for my interest in the AAJ board.

. . .

I've stuck with AAJ because it has attracted more posters who share my interest in non-American jazz than this place. Sadly many of these seem to have backed off in recent weeks.

Yes, it has become rather dull of late...it never seems to have recovered from the breakdown fully. I'm not suggesting everyone needs to rush over there in a rescue bid. Just that those who have found something of value there in the past might like to consider pitching in.

Bev (and Hans) - this was the reason why I found AAJ to be a very good complement to this board. Originally, I felt home over there a little bit more, but today, and this has started some weeks before the hacker attack on AAJ, I feel home and welcome here very much! (Thanks everybody!)

Not to let this develop into a pat on our own shoulder - why not start a little bit more activity here regarding european jazz? I think there are at least some people in here who'd participate, and then some others who would follow the discussion with at least some interest.

I myself have no vast knowledge about european jazz, in fact, the few things I do know are rather more attached to the *usual* american jazz, yet I would certainly welcome a little bit more on non-US music. One advantage here (as regarding the old board) seems to be that it is not necessary to have that rather annoying, and sometimes I feel also discriminating, jazz/not jazz/elements of jazz kind of dicussion.

Re: AAJ, it seems that some of the posters with whom I had exchanges on and off the board are indeed not active anymore, and the place for me seems quite dead.

I highly welcome people like EKE, mmilovan or clifton posting here! Keep it going! Maybe AAJ gets better - let's hope it does! Mike is a nice guy indeed! - and then the two boards migtht again complement each other as they did in the time right after the demise of the old board.

ubu

Same here. Was it a political thread?

This thread is a good example.

As long as a guy like deep keeps holding the AAJ board hostage and terrorizing it like he's doing now, I'm not going to post over there. Every time a poster is saying something deep doesn’t like (which is almost all of the time, unless it's Patricia / Still Life), they get a bashing; my English is not good enough to counter sexist, childish and offensive posts like his. It's beginning to look like deep is controlling the AAJ board.

:lol::lol: Sensing an opportunity to put his exceptional interpersonal skills to work, DEEP adopts a courteous demeanor and asks the moderator to show another poster the door. Now that's rich!